• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

feeling low after Homerton appointment

TessG

I had my first appointment at Homerton yesturday. I have funding already approved as I have been going to addenbrookes for years.

My first appointment was 9.30 am. Not bad. was quite encourageing.
Group session at 11.30. Nothing new. But OK. (and i felt it was bit like, lets march the fatties through the hospital together).
Third appointment. 16.45. and they were running nearly 2 hours late. Not impressed. I've got a bad heart and the day was too long so I was by this time feeling terrible but was determined to finish the day.

I didn't get to meet the consultant. Instead it was another member of the team that I didn't really understand because she was foreign and she didn't seem to understand me either!

She got hooked on my medical past that is already diognosed but seemed to suggest that they would want it reassest. It took 24 years to get a diagnosis of a heart defect. Two failed heart surgeries. Does she really think I want to be prodded and poked any more than I need to be? Doesn't she trust one of the top hospitals in the country to diagnose me?

Then she said that I might have to see an eating disorders team. With a waiting list of over six months for a first appointment! Even though (and she agreed) that I don't show the signs of an eating disorder! What? Crazy? And a waste of resources!

I'm tired and cross and just want people to stop treating me like I don't know what I'm doing or how I got here. I'M FAT NOT STUPID!!!!

Oh dear. I don't really know what to say.
But I didn't want to read and run' and wanted to send encouragement!

I hope you can get past this. Perhaps you need to insist on speaking to the consultant? It must be very frustrating.

Sorry to hear your crap news and I hope you get it sorted one way or another.:)

So sorry to hear of your disappointment... hoping things will move forward for you very soon xxx

sorry they're making you jump through so many hoops. I agree that you should phone and speak to your consultant. It's ridiculous to make you wait so long for an eating disorder clinic if it's not neccessary. And why the hell couldn't they have referred you to that in the first place?

So sorry you are being messed about huni, could you ask for a letter from your heart doctor to give to the wls doctor with everthing on it? and ask to see the consultant himself? hope it all works out, its stressful enough without all this hassle!
xx

Hi Hun - I was there too yesterday - I was wearing a zebra (sort of!) patterned top and was with my husband who was walking with a crutch for his bad back!
Must admit it was such a long day, that delay in the afternoon was ridiculous. Sitting in the nearly empty outpatients reception, then getting called through to the cramped and full corridor! I think they do that on purpose so when you're in the outpatients you think you'll be going in any minute!...
Mine went ok, my husband was really upset after the morning one as the assessment woman said he didn't qualify and didn't think he should go on for the rest of the day, then after stressing him so much told him 'oh sorry I was wrong!' The surgeon said she was new, not that I think thats a good enough excuse, and she shouldn't have said that, not much comfort after stressing someone out that much.
Really hope you get some answers and help. I was told if I have any questions to contact Diane at the Bariatric dept for the hospital, wasn't given her number. I know other people on here have said that she's really helpful, may be worth giving her a ring for some advice.
I took a copy of a letter a hospital consultant sent to my GP which outlined my whole eating habits, tests I'd had and his diagnosise and recommendation that I have surgery so they have another doctor supporting it and more info, which the assessment woman said was really helpful. It may help to get copies of any letters you can that will help and support your case, and perhaps explains your medical condition.
Really hopes it all goes well for you and that it all works out with as little hassle as possible.

Hi Karen. Yes I remember you. (I was there with my brown haired, slim sister. I was the big blonde with hair in a pony tail.) I'm glad he finally got sorted. But it doesn't instill confidence does it?!

Hi - I must admit there admin hasn't impressed me much yet. I only got our appointments after phoning to check they'd got our referral letters. They got them in the bariatric dept, but somehow (!!) they got lost going to the central appointment booking dept, and were lost for 3 months, so had to get the doctor to resend them all. And hearing people when we were sitting waiting to go in talking about their notes being lost didn't sound good. I've heard on here that Diane is really nice and always willing to help out, but that the admin side does let them down.

Hi, I had my op at Homerton. Their admin team leaves a lot to be desired (they are forever changing my appointments). You should have been given a list of all the telephone numbers to contact. They seem to like that "do everything in a day" system which is quite tiring especially considering a lot of people having the surgery have other health issues. I'm sure they will realise that to leave you waiting for 6 months for the eating disorder appointment with heart issues won't be good for you and the quicker you have the op and start losing weight the better. Hope you get sorted quickly.

Hi ya Im at hommerton and i must say i've been really lucky i got my funding, before i went for the first appointment, and since then it's been plain sailing, i've met with all the teams and they have agreed to do it, which i'm over the moon.
my surgeon is me koak and he is lovley which i think help's.
i must admit i didn't have to go to the eating disorder clinc as i have been in thereapy for many years.
just hang on in there i really know where your coming from, it's take a year to get this far, don't give up hope xxx
jane

Hi ya Im at hommerton and i must say i've been really lucky i got my funding, before i went for the first appointment, and since then it's been plain sailing, i've met with all the teams and they have agreed to do it, which i'm over the moon.
my surgeon is me koak and he is lovley which i think help's.
i must admit i didn't have to go to the eating disorder clinc as i have been in thereapy for many years.
just hang on in there i really know where your coming from, it's take a year to get this far, don't give up hope xxx
jane

Mr Koak is lovely - he did my surgery. He has a much nice bedside manner than a lot of the other surgeons that I have witnessed and has a nice sense of humour too.

Back