• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Feeling low waiting all this time wile my life's on hold.

Sorry to hear that they have put your surgery back and are now asking you to do the milk diet, I can understand how frustrating that would be. They are obviously wanting to see that you are committed to the surgery and to making changes to your lifestyle after surgery. It is a huge change to how you can eat and what you can eat post surgery - no matter how often people tell you that you really don't get it until you are living it! It was a shock to my system and I thought I had done all the research and preparation possible! I don't have any magic wand to make it better for you, but try and keep positive and see this milk diet as a chance to show how committed and positive you are to the operation and all the changes it will bring with it. Good luck!

It feels horrible doesn't it. I had an experience much like yours. First of all it was my endocrinologist who suggested weight loss surgery. I hadn't even considered it, so I asked for some time to think about things. Then my appointment with him was cancelled by the hospital, and when I chased it up I finally got an appointment 18 months later and when I got there I didn’t even see the consultant but a GPwSI (GP with special interest who holds hospital clinics). So I asked him how to go further on the WLS path and he looked at me as if I had two heads and told me those operations were far too costly. I was so shocked I don’t think I spoke again during the appointment and had to ask my other half what he meant when we were in the car later. Considered a complaint, but went to see my GP instead. He was very happy to refer me on. Then nothing happened so I contacted the PCT and the hospital and found my referral had been lost. They got me an appointment within a month because of the delay and I saw a consultant at the weight management clinic who told me all I had to do was stop using tomato sauce and salad cream and WLS was a terrible idea and would ruin my life. I asked if I was seeing a dietitian and he told me that was unnecessary and just to do what he said and I would be fine. Next appointment several months later, and I saw a lovely consultant who asked why I wasn't seeing a dietitian and that would slow my progress as I had to be seeing one for a year before they would refer me on to surgery. So I was set up with another series of appointments with the dietician. I had about 18 months all together visiting the weight management clinic before I was referred on for surgery. Then I heard nothing for about 6 months until I went to a Bariatric Seminar. This was a group appointment of about 15 people where we saw the bariatric dietician and watched a presentation about the different types of surgery offered. This was in October 2015 and then I heard nothing until I met the bariatric surgeon in December 2015. He was happy to put me on the list and told me it should be within 4 months. Then I was called for surgery on the 22nd of August 2016. Went in and sent home not operated on because the hospital was out of beds.
That was a bad day.
Stayed on the liver shrinking diet (LSD) in total for 7 weeks and finally had surgery on the 5th of September - a gastric sleeve.
Seriously the waiting time was terrible and a lot of the time I felt that I was never going to get there. In fact this time last year I was very low and convinced it would never happen. While I was in the system I always lost weight in between appointments, but only very small amounts. To be honest, about a pound a month on average, I managed to lose 5 stones in total from when I really started to try to lose weight to when I had the surgery. So I went from 25 stones to 20 stones. My weight today is 15 stones and 4 pounds.
Is it worth it? - I am now able to walk a bit and buy clothes in shops that aren't Evans. The recovery from the operation has been really smooth with only one hiccup when I tried chicken and sprouts too soon. I have discovered I get some dumping which is something I can work with. I am happy to be on the other side and able to move forwards. I know I would never have lost the weight without surgery - after all I had tried often enough. So yes I think so. Yes my life was put on hold while I went through the system and yes I was very angry and still am at some of the things I went through. But really I am glad it is done now.
Hope things start to go more smoothly for you now.
Good luck.
Thanks for your reply its such a hard journey im grateful that I have support from you all and knowing I'm not alone in this terrible road is comforting. I'm glad things got there in the end so glad there's light at the end of the tunnel for me too. I just need to be patent its just so hard n depressing being home not working iv worked since I was 14 this is killing me. Iv done all that's been asked of me by them I just hope time goes fast xxxx

It doesn't seem fair but unfortunately these things do happen!

Have you considered going through PALS and complaining?

It's really not on to keep you hanging but at the same time, they want to ensure that you're committed to this.
Yes I agree they want to see if I'm committed and iv gone every month for 16months n done everything asked but gained this time. I understand this costs the NHS a lot and i will forever be so grateful I just think they could have planned this better knowing all my conditions and all the efforts I have done to prove to them yet now because I gained over Xmas I'm put on the back burner which has made me so less motivated n down this is peoples life on hold and emotional stress but this is how I must play it so be it I just hope my date comes sooner rather than later xxx

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that they have put your surgery back and are now asking you to do the milk diet, I can understand how frustrating that would be. They are obviously wanting to see that you are committed to the surgery and to making changes to your lifestyle after surgery. It is a huge change to how you can eat and what you can eat post surgery - no matter how often people tell you that you really don't get it until you are living it! It was a shock to my system and I thought I had done all the research and preparation possible! I don't have any magic wand to make it better for you, but try and keep positive and see this milk diet as a chance to show how committed and positive you are to the operation and all the changes it will bring with it. Good luck!
I agree I will not fully know how it feels till iv had the op but I have done all they have asked till Xmas I dfont drink smoke or eat continuously I just let it slip over Xmas. I'm committed 110% I got a new cross trainer trainers weights iv been using iv eaten healthy iv done the weighing n measuring of foods I just let it go over Xmas n gained so much which was my fault but iv been going for 16 months n still no further, I enjoyed my week with family gained n now have to do this. Iv learnt my lesson now I'll have to pay for it bring on the milk diet I say. But I must say boy this really is tuff love lol xx

Back