• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My journey to a new happier and healthier me.. By Vicky81

Vicky81

I wanted to create a diary to look back on my journey and share my experiences with others going through the same things as I have.

I was banded 20th June 2015 (4 days ago). It was the biggest decision I have ever made in my life and with thanks to a number of you and your diaries and journals, I decided that having a gastric band was the right decision for me.

At my heaviest I tipped the scales at just over 22 stone.
It became a chore to do anything and often I would avoid people and situations just so I didn't have to face people. I was also always tired which is never good when you have a very active 5 year old.
I am a single parent and I also work full time so it became more difficult to look after myself and if I'm honest, food was pretty much the only thing I had to look forward to at the end of the day when my daughter was in bed.

My journey is a lifestyle change as well as a weight loss journey and a journey to a new happier and healthier me.. Not just for me, but for my daughter too.

I wasn't always big... I put on weight around 21 when I was diagnosed with poly cystic ovarian syndrome. By the time I had my daughter at 28 I was 17 stone and last year.. Age 33, I weighed 21 stone, I went on to lost 3 stone for my sisters wedding.. But that was short lived and put it all back on and more after giving up smoking.

I decided to find out about wls after I piled on the 4 stone after giving up smoking October last year. My GP agreed that I would benefit from Wls and referred me to the obesity clinic at the L&D hospital. After being told that my appointment was booked for 3 months time and from there I would be assessed and would have to complete a 12 month programme to determine if I would be granted the funding, I decided that I could not lose another year of my life to being overweight and decided to look at self funding options.

I checked out many surgeons and companies but decided to book with bariatric surgeon Dr Jamburlingam and decided to have the surgery at the Cobham Clinic within the L&D hospital. This wasn't the cheapest option but the option I felt fitted my needs best. There was no travelling involved as I live locally and no battling for band fill appointments, if any problems I could be there in 5 mins.

I was initially advised against having a band, and was steered more towards having a sleeve or the bypass due to success rates, however with what I could afford, recovery time and how invasive I felt the other surgeries were, I still opted for the gastric band. This was my choice and I still stand by this.

I completed the 2 week pre op milk diet, I used slim fast.. I have completed these kinds of diets before but I found this really challenging and had many early nights so that I didn't think about food, also I found my mood to be quite low. but I did it and lost I lost 16 lb prior to my surgery.

On the day of the surgery, I went to the hospital at 7am.. I was first on the list at 8am. My room was very comfortable, with a tv, ensuite bathroom.. The anesthetize was brilliant with me and took me through the process and the nurses were all so so lovely. I couldn't of been in better care. My mum was with me and walked with me down to theatre. I was wheeled into theatre and I was told to think of something lovely to dream about.. I said my daughter and off I went to sleep.. I woke up in recovery 2 hours after and I was back up in my room where my mum was waiting for me 1 hour after that. I slept most of that day, very drowsy from the anaesthetic and morphine, I had a couple of visitors but I wasn't up for much chatting and drifted in and out of sleep until the following morning.

I was allowed to go home around lunchtime on the Sunday, the next day. My mum came to get me and me and my daughter have been staying with her since. Which has been a life saver. We go home tomorrow if I am feeling up to it.

The past 4 days I have slept a lot, had uncomfortable wind pain (all expected). I have struggled to get much fluids down me, Mainly slips of water and a small amount of slim fast.. This has probably added to me feeling quite weak.. But just taking each day as it comes. Yesterday I felt as though I had been kicked several times in the stomach.. But that has eased up a bit today. My 5 incistion scars are glued together and are feeling little tender today but are not painful.

So far, i probably didn't expect it to be this bad if I am completely honest... but as each day has gone by its got much easier, and I am still glad I have done this... I am aiming to be back at work on Monday... So we will see how that goes..

Oh and I haven't been to the loo (number 2) yet.. Which I am dreading... I might have to take something for that... But as I guess nothing much has gone in.. Not much can come out.

All in all.. So far... So good.. I cannot wait to get on the scales to see how much weight I have lost... And for the first time in a long time I am feeling positive about a happy and healthy future..

I would love to hear from anyone that has been through the same thing..

Xxx
:girlpower:

Hi and thanks for your introduction! Good luck with your journey..you will loads of help here x

Thanks for sharing. I am booked in for mine on July 11th so keep posting as really interested to hear how it goes for you.

hello vicky81
another loser on the bench! just take things easy and enjoy your new life !

Well done. All sounding normal

I would say try to get something to help with the loo situation. I got lactolos from boots

Try to get those fluids down as it will really help in the toilet department

Good luck xxxx

Back