• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Fitness Goals 26-Oct-2010

cah-ching

I'm keeping this going even if it's just me posting lol. Hopefully I won't get too bored.

What are we doing today then?

I'm off to Zumba tonight .. 60 minutes of booty shaking. I may take a walk into the town centre and have a coffee.

Thank you for reading, CC

Morning Mix,

I guess you're all soaped up in the shower now ready for sleep time. Hope to see you around 3ish may be. Have a good one.

Gym for me today. Planning to try and fit an hour in sometime (although I have got to do my tax return which is not inspiring me first!)

I did the usual 45 minute LA Spin class last night, and tonight its resistance training at the gym. Just Shoulders, traps and arms tonight as the lack of carb loading means I have to split my routine otherwise I run out of steam before I've trained each body part to failure.

I attend LA fitness in Sale six days a week three cardio and three weight lifting, and on my "Day off" I ride my road bike for as long as my arse will let me LOL. I've not yet got further than 44 miles but I want to be up at 50 by the year end then do the 100 mile Manchester run next year, We shall see if I make it, arse allowing

Keep it up guys changing our lifestyles to embrace exercise is a huge part of life long success at this WLS lark x

Fantastic Karlos. I loved reading about what you're doing. May be you can offer some hints, tips and advice on weight-training. I currently do it on my own and learn technique via the internet :eek:

One question I want to know is; how do you know you've run out of steam from when you've trained your muscles to failure. I'm not sure what training to failure is ... is it when you train to the point that you lose 'form'?

Thanks CC

ALso I mean to say, most days I do some sort of cardio then do resistence training. If I do double spin (Wed & Sat) then I don't have enough left in me to do weights. May be I need to be more systematic about my training. I've been meaning to draw up a schedule but have yet to do so.

Fantastic Karlos. I loved reading about what you're doing. May be you can offer some hints, tips and advice on weight-training. I currently do it on my own and learn technique via the internet :eek:

One question I want to know is; how do you know you've run out of steam from when you've trained your muscles to failure. I'm not sure what training to failure is ... is it when you train to the point that you lose 'form'?

Thanks CC

I know when I start to shake that my energy levels have depleted and its time to stop. There is no way we can take in enough carbs to fuel the kind of workouts I did when I was in my twenties LOL. I used to bench 230 lbs and squat 450 lbs on Olympic bars, these days I struggle to bench 130 lbs :eek: Mind you I'm an old trout these days LOL :cry::D:D

With resistance exercise, form as you say is the absolute key. I see so many young guys at my gym throwing the heavy weights around using momentum, not getting full range of movement, (This shortens the muscle belly) and other body parts to shift the weight. I often think plonker you're just kidding yourself LOL

Lifting 10 kilos correctly taking several seconds to raise and lower the weight, isolating the muscle you want to train, is far more effective than throwing 20 kilos around.

Form is key in effectively isolating and stressing the muscle fibers until they break down. Its this that causes them to have to repair themselves and get bigger to cope with the stress. Then feed them with a high protein meal/drink to help them repair

Failure is when that muscle simply has used up its energy stores and cannot raise the weight any more. Depending on the type of training you are doing (Toning, building, or strength building) will determine the amount of weight, and the number of reps/sets you need to complete to stress the muscle until it breaks down. A set of 8 reps will use the first 6 to use up the energy, it's really the last 2 that break down the muscle

Toning routines would require 4 sets of 15 reps with 30 seconds rest between sets for each exercise. That 30 seconds max is the key in keeping the muscle group stressed with lighter weights

Mass building requires 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps increasing the weight when you can complete 10 reps. Higher weights, though still maintaining good form and posture with 60 to 90 seconds rest depending on what body part you're working

Strength work uses really heavy weight that you can lift for no more than 4 to 5 reps. 3 minutes rest will be required as we can only keep up this level of intensity for short bursts. This is the hardest because we deplete our energy stores really quickly post op at maximal intensity.

It's harder training on your own and if you're using free weights it can be dangerous as the weight increases so take care. When you advance to using negative reps and pre exhaust sets you really need a partner, this also makes you drag your arse there when you don't feel like it.

I train with my other half and even at 51 she is as fit as a fiddle as anyone who seen my holiday pictures on facebook will attest :D she makes me sick LOL it keeps us motivated.

I would never do cardio and resistance training on the same day. I spin Mon/Wed/Fri and lift weights Sun/Tues?Thurs, Saturday if I'm not shooting I ride my bike. We don't take in enough energy to fuel both on the same day in my opinion

PM me if you want more ideas and if we're not too far apart maybe you could get to our gym or me to yours. Keep it up your an inspiration to us all

Hi Karlos,

I'm just at my gym now. Just having finished doing my legs. I'm really frustrated by my week knees and inability to squat or lung ..... but then I'm not far off 21St (of fat).

You and I would get on very well in the gym. I too see many many many guys using momentum to lift a weight that is far too heavy for them. What they do not realise is that their lack of form will cause serious injury! I see it most when men (and I'm afraid it's only men I see doing it because I'm the only woman who uses the free weights section at my gym :eek:) are doing bicep and back work yesterday I noticed ... no ... watched (in astonishment) a man do upright rows ... it was scary stuff I nearly pleaded with him to stop it was so bad!

ANother thing a lot of people, especially women fear is the weights bulking them out when it is so not true. Weight training GOOD weight training forces you to assume good posture to ensure good form ... I bet with any money that your wife's posture is fantastic. :D
Also I do believe wieght training keeps people looking much younger ... as you and your wife attest to my theory (having nosed around your pictures over the weekend)

Today I did a fitball class - last minute decision which acted as a nice warm up to do my legs.

I felt like a proper heffer today. I was and still am so down about my bulk ... it's horrid. I felt so ungainly. I'm also embarrassed by my inability to do squats and lunges and some of the exercises the ladies in the class could do. Of the ladies in the class about 90% are old enough to be my mother and are all slim and lovely .... me I'm 33 just shyu of 21St and incapable of doing squats and leg curls using a fitball. I'm so angry with myself for being so fat for so long 33yrs to be precise.
I'll still go to the gym though because what choice do I have? Also I do enjoy it, but I dislike my fat body so much.

After fitball I had a satsuma then headed knowingly to the gym to work my legs. Working my legs is the body part I like doing least after my shoulders. I had a go at a few lunges and squats but they were pathetic .... You'd have to look carefully to realise I was squatting .. as they are that shallow and pathetic.

Then I did:
Leg Curl 3 sets / 15 reps
Leg Extension 3 sets / 15 reps (I went up a weight on the second set, but then went back down because my right knee twinged
Adductor - 3 sets / 15 reps traded up a little on the weight than the last time I did them
Abductor 3 sets / 15 reps - to my surprise I had to go far up the weights to feel anything so may be my bum and hip muscles are stronger - I wonder if my attendance at spiin classes has anything to do with it?

TOnight I'll come back and take it easy at Zumba - which in the main feels like dancing more than doing a fitness class.

Karlos, next time I'm up Manchester way I'll let you know!

I think I'll be PM'ing you for more help ..... weak knees for instance .... how to get the ******* strong and stop them giving way and being painful - even climbing steps is a struggle sometimes ... most times :eek:

You're a real trooper lady awesome in fact

Yeah squats can be tricky with dodgy knees, I find if I drop a couple of 10 kilo weights together on the floor and rest my ankles on them so they are raised it increases my stability and helps my knees and core. Try it. I also use the Smith machine for squats as this dictates good form and light weights.

No post opper is going to bulk up no matter what weights we use, I train to absolute failure each set but simply can't eat enough to give me the bulk I want. I could supplement my diet with even more protein shakes I guess but I already spend a fortune on them, I have increased my musculature a lot and my Skeletal muscle percentage is 47% which is good for and old chuffer (Average would be 37%)

My partner is as fit as a butcher's dog and at 51 could pass for 35, she has an active job and no one can keep up with her at spin class, she makes me sick :D Her form and posture when lifting weights are fantastic and she is so strong too. Testament to the benefits of keeping fit.

Spin does strengthen your glutes especially the hover moves if you work them right, so that might be why yours are stronger, but looking at the amount of work you're doing you are a chuffin hero lady

Leg extensions and curls can help with your knees as they help pull the joint back together, but again form and range of movement are key. I would try raising your ankles a little and see if that helps

Keep it up I reckon you're a star

Failed today - to be honest I have had a bit of a dodgy tum and even a march on the running machine would have been iffy. Not sure why but hoping that I will be better tomorrow. Going to bed with a hot water bottle :-(

Failed today - to be honest I have had a bit of a dodgy tum and even a march on the running machine would have been iffy. Not sure why but hoping that I will be better tomorrow. Going to bed with a hot water bottle :-(

I'm very pleased you came on and told us this. Demonstrates that you are committed. I have every faith you'll be back on track tomorrow tummy pending. x

Back