• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Fizzy drinks and alcohol??

HoPe*87*

Hi all,

I'm only 3 weeks post op today but I've just been wondering can u ever drink fizzy drinks again after a sleeve?? Also when would it be safe to try alcohol?? I know not now!! I'm not a big drinker or anything in fact I don't really drink at all. It just it's a friends birthday coming up and all the girls are planning on going away for the weekend. I will probably go anyway drink or no drink but I wouldn't like to think I had a drink and ended up ill spoiling it for others. Also my cousins hen night coming up to xxx

Hi hun, I same as you, 3 weeks out. I was told ABSOLUTELY NO ALCOHOL until after 6weeks and then in moderation. I like you, don't drink much, only on occasions. Also, with fizzy drinks,they advise if we have them to knock the fizz out and add ice. I have had a tummy bug the last 2 days and not been able to eat anything. I had some lucozade yesterday, shook to death!! I was ok after it, I thought I may 'dump', but I didn't, it straightened me out and I stopped feeling dizzy. x x

Vodka and cranberry juice sip slow and dont have many!

I'm a sleever and can drink most things, I was a cider drinker before op but don't touch it now I have peach snaps and lemonade, pimms. Cheeky vimto! I was 9 weeks when I had a drink and did get full after it but now 15 weeks out am fine, drink the same, good luck xxx

I've a family occasion on the 30th march, op date was 15th feb. I'm still pondering whether to have a drink there or not.

If I do I guess I'll have G+T and let it go flat. But, people will ask why I'm not drinking much if I do drink, and if I don't they will ask why. I didn't drink often. I would one week, wouldn't the next. But it took me a good litre in a full night to get me legless, half a bottle to get me past merry but not embarrassed drunk pre-op.

I've head I will be a light weight post op though.

if they ask why your not drinking much..just say your on antibiotics xx

if they ask why your not drinking much..just say your on antibiotics xx

You can drink on most antibiotics. If memory of random QI shows is correct, most doctors used to tell people "Don't drink with these" because antibiotics where often used for treatment of STD's and people where still very infectious until they had finished the course of antibiotics. And drunken people would be more likely to forget and go for a ride on the village bike :D

But yea, I can say I'm driving even though I only live 2miles away.

I'm only 3 weeks post op today but I've just been wondering can u ever drink fizzy drinks again after a sleeve?? Also when would it be safe to try alcohol?

1. The official advice is NEVER -- never ever touch a fizzy drink again ........ we are told the bubbles / gas in the drinks can lead to stretching the RNY pouch / the new sleeved stomach.

(However at our last Whittington bariatric support meeting the bariatric nurse did say if you are invited to ONE wedding in the year and you want to join in with ONE small glass of champagne -- which is obviously bubbly -- that would be just about OK, as long as you are not attending weddings every week!)

2. Alcohol not until *at least* 6 weeks post op, and make sure it is a FLAT alcohol, not a fizzy bubbly one ........ you might want to water it down a lot anyway as evidence suggests that one unit of alcohol in our new "tiny tummies" is likely to be as potent as 3 or 4 units of alcohol would have been in our previous football sized stomachs.

It will be execeedingly easy to end up embarrasingly drunk if you are not careful.

(And some sleevers do dump -- drunk and dumping -- not a good look!)

From what I've read, I'd avoid fizzy drinks completely and would pretend to be ill or volunteer to drive rather than drink alcohol until I've reached my goal weight.

However, maybe you could have a low alcohol drink or one shot in a tall glass and make it last for ages. But I can't think what mixer you could have that isn't fizzy or very high in sugar? Also, maybe you can change your diet for one day so that you get less drunk - maybe more carbs would absorb some of the alcohol? X

You can drink on most antibiotics. If memory of random QI shows is correct, most doctors used to tell people "Don't drink with these" because antibiotics where often used for treatment of STD's and people where still very infectious until they had finished the course of antibiotics. And drunken people would be more likely to forget and go for a ride on the village bike :D

But yea, I can say I'm driving even though I only live 2miles away.

sorry hun, but i worked in a pharmacist for almost 7 years and left there 18 months ago.. with most antibiotics you cannot drink as the alcohol stops the antibiotics getting into your system and working properly. on 99% of antibiotic bottles it also says do not drink alcohol and it has nothing to do with forgetting what you are doing... that can happen with alcohol and pain killers.. but not with antibiotics. xx
I just wanted to give her an excuse to give her friends for not drinking.. i only live a mile away from my local pub... i swear the people i havnt told about my op think im lazy.. cos they keep saying how comes your losing weight... but bring your car!!!..it smy safety barrier so they dont buy me a drink lol x

Hi i had a thing called oesophagitis last year and had to have a "bland" diet eg mashed potatoes, plain fish etc as very sore to swallow, on omeprzole tabs, so im going to use this as a get out of situations after ive had my op. or you could say you have an ulcer, same sort of thing and cant drink. good luck and hope all goes well.

Thanks for your replies everyone :) I really do not drink often at all maybe twice a year just for special occasions. So I wasn't meaning how soon can I have a bottle of wine every week again lol. I admit I do miss my fizzy drinks terribly!! But I can live with that. I think if I do drink in future it would be archers and diet lemonade plenty of ice to make it flat xxx

Thanks for your replies everyone :) I really do not drink often at all maybe twice a year just for special occasions. So I wasn't meaning how soon can I have a bottle of wine every week again lol. I admit I do miss my fizzy drinks terribly!! But I can live with that. I think if I do drink in future it would be archers and diet lemonade plenty of ice to make it flat xxx

I know what your saying... im ok wih not drinking when i go out.. But its my Birthday in August i know a long way off but i would like to have a drink then. Also the odd special occasion... a glass of wine woud be nice. I think on those very rare occasions.. that week i will up my fluids.. do more exercise and up my protien so therefore the extra calories hopefully wont make a difference.
What a lot of people have advised though.. is alcohol will go to your head very quickly... so if you have a planned night out and havnt tried any alcohol... have a small glass of wine or something at home the week before to see how you cope with it xxx

sorry hun, but i worked in a pharmacist for almost 7 years and left there 18 months ago.. with most antibiotics you cannot drink as the alcohol stops the antibiotics getting into your system and working properly. on 99% of antibiotic bottles it also says do not drink alcohol and it has nothing to do with forgetting what you are doing... that can happen with alcohol and pain killers.. but not with antibiotics. xx
I just wanted to give her an excuse to give her friends for not drinking.. i only live a mile away from my local pub... i swear the people i havnt told about my op think im lazy.. cos they keep saying how comes your losing weight... but bring your car!!!..it smy safety barrier so they dont buy me a drink lol x

See, that's why you shouldn't watch QI ;)

You cant drink alcohol if taking metronidazole, so you could use the antibiotic excuse. Its used for gum/dental infections and other conditions so you could say you have a gum infection rather than bacterial vaginosis:eek:
Kim

You could say you're giving it up for lent? Or that you're trying to be healthier? Or you could keep finding excuses to not say anything and have that drink. Sorry if that sounds horrid, but you are lying to yourself if you think you're doing it so people won't notice.

Lent is a great excuse for the next few weeks and so many people give up such a wide range of things that most others don't bat an eyelid when they hear what you've given up.

As for fizzy drinks and alcohol...........

I am 10 weeks post sleeve and tried a glass of Pepsi Max a couple of weeks ago, had added ice to it and left it out and open for a good hour before trying to drink it, but hated the taste of it which disappointed me as I do tend to have that or coke zero when I go out as I'm not a big drinker.

Haven't tried alcohol yet so don't know how much it will affect me compared to the past. If I were going to have something then I would look at a single spirit with something like a juice and plenty of ice to water it down. Take it slowly and, if you have more than one drink, rotate between things and add in a glass of water with cordial for a lower calorie alternative.

I was out with my dad on Thursday and there wasn't a lot of choice of drinks so I had J2O alternated with water.

Tatiana

Back