• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

fizzy drinks!?

Hi all! Hope everyone is doing ok! I'm 6 weeks post band and had my first fill yesterday! I've got weekend away with the girls this weekend so will be the first time out!! I will not be drinking alcohol but wondered why fizzy drinks are a no-no? I hate all still drinks like fruit juices etc and don't fancy a night on water but obviously don't want to do any damage by drinking diet coke? Sorry if this question has been asked before?? Xx

its not the sugar but the fizz. all that gas in our ickle puches just doesnt settle especailly when we struggle to burp anyways. i have a few sneaky sips if someone is drinking some but to be fair one tiny sip is more than enough as i just cant take the gas!

Another example of providers giving out different info! Mine have said nothing fizzy at all and when I asked if i could have soda water mixed with sugar free squash they still said no because it was carbonated :(

H x

I'd also heard that it can stretch your pouch, I'm sure my dietician said soda water and sparkly water are ok. xx

I know what you mean, the amount of different advice given is unreal. I remember reading of other banders on here who were told it was ok to drink fizzys. It's the same with chewing gum/carbs, everyone has been told differing advice. I believe it's important to stick to your providers guidelines, then there's a problem you know you've followed the rules. xx

No carbonated drinks,it hurts your pouch you can feel really sick and it can erode your pouch especially diet coke,plus its bad for your teeth!Try vodka and j2o or cranberry juice.Its a small price to pay for being slim and dancing your ass off on the dance floor!

hiya, on my diet sheet it does say we can have fizzy drinks but they need to be flat, as the fizz can stretch the pouch, same with the band, last think you want is a stretched pouch especially after a fill xxxxx

another new thing ive learnt, this site is amazing, every time i log on i learn something new

lindy62

Ok - as far as I'm aware its a no no for bypassers, hence Montana and Big an Bouncy saying they have been told not to.

You are a bander (me too!) and sometimes we are told that the occasional low cal fizzy drink with ice and stirred with a straw to beat the bubbles out is fine - if you can tolerate them.

So - you really need to follow your providers advice or ask them if they havent advised on this.

If you get the go ahead use the ice and straw trick and go steady - enjoy your weekend! x

Thanks for all the replys!! Really different responses! There is lot I need to ask really! Just read my notes again and fizzy drinks are not on a do not list but on caution foods along with red meat, bread, pasta, alcohol and choc! I think I'll keep away and If I really can't have anything else go with mazza and stir stir stir!! Xx

I have not tried fizzy drinks as I was told they are a no no and this was me being a diet coke addict. I have just told myself no I cannot have it and have adjusted to flat drinks. Like everything you get there in the end, miss my fizzy life though x

Back