• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Food!!!

Haylz6

Was wondering if anyone else post op has become obessed with food shows, I can't stop watching them, it's anything from come dine with me to spending hours with the food channel on.

Anyone else???

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

always loved come dine with me and the cooking shows on sales channels lol. now i just let my mouth water and wonder how to v=create wls friendly versions of what i like :)

I used to watch cookery shows before WLS and now all I feel is insanely nauseaous!!!!

I am 4 weeks post op and am having normal looking food (not pureed any more) and do think my food tastes better in little lumps. :D just tastes better period!!!

I have been wondering how many weeks the average WLS patient goes on the pureed food stage before attempting chopped food and then full food. The reason I ask is that even though I am only 4 week post on on Saurday 6th August I am having 1-4 meals where I dont chop the food but chew it until I can swallow it without having pain. I usually prepare an 4oz portion and eat only about 2-3oz and my pouch tells me when I have had enough. I have occassionally prepared a lush meal and ate too much because I was enjoying it and I have rolled the bed for 30 minutes plus with stomach pain. I have now learned to gauge the correct amount and I can now eat full food in small portions with fresh veg. Though I am still only having 3-4 small meals a day. Am I abnormal because I can eat normal food 4 weeks after WLS????? I keep thinking I am doing myself harm!!! :) xx

I used to watch cookery shows before WLS and now all I feel is insanely nauseaous!!!!

I am 4 weeks post op and am having normal looking food (not pureed any more) and do think my food tastes better in little lumps. :D just tastes better period!!!

I have been wondering how many weeks the average WLS patient goes on the pureed food stage before attempting chopped food and then full food. The reason I ask is that even though I am only 4 week post on on Saurday 6th August I am having 1-4 meals where I dont chop the food but chew it until I can swallow it without having pain. I usually prepare an 4oz portion and eat only about 2-3oz and my pouch tells me when I have had enough. I have occassionally prepared a lush meal and ate too much because I was enjoying it and I have rolled the bed for 30 minutes plus with stomach pain. I have now learned to gauge the correct amount and I can now eat full food in small portions with fresh veg. Though I am still only having 3-4 small meals a day. Am I abnormal because I can eat normal food 4 weeks after WLS????? I keep thinking I am doing myself harm!!! :) xx

Well if you are abnormal then so am I.. I'm eating a lot more variety than I expected at this stage. Very small amounts, well chewed but I'm enjoying food a bit more now. I'm being sensible with the consistency and not eating anything thats too coarse and Ive had very few problems. x

I was told liquid for 4 weeks? Every one is given different advice. Tried mash last week and the hospital went mental on the telephone appointment. Now going to miss soup, it has been lush.

I had to build up to normal food (I had a sleeve).
I did two weeks of liquids, two weeks of pureed food, two weeks of soft food, then back onto normal food.

I'm as confused as you, was on fluid for 4 weeks (soup, bovril etc) am 6 wks post op now and having mash etc but am soooooo tempted to try a slice of toast, if I chew it until its a mushy consistency it cant do any harm can it?I'm scared in case I damage my pouch too x

Every person on here seems to get slightly different advice.

I got to the point that I was getting slightly obsessed with it all because of all the different instructions.

I am seven weeks out and I am having 3 meals and 2 milk based 'snacks'. I am on soft food now. But to be honest, sometimes I have gone a little bit quicker with foods and sometimes a little slower. Even now there are days when I feel I can only manage sloppy stuff.

I am trying my hardest to chill out about it all, not compare myself to others and listen to my body.

My advice is to listen to your pouch, it will steer you in the right direction at the right pace.

Oh and buy a slow cooker, a genius invention to get food really soft and edible. serve with cous cous yum yum.

Julie

I'm just over 4 wks post op and been managing solids for about a week all be it small amounts and until today have been fine learning the signals from my pouch. Today a bit of fruit got stuck for a short while but moved on after a while. Perhaps I should have stuck to liquids but lunch i munched well and no problem, but tried to finish the remainder of last nights tea but I think all the sauce on it either went last night or dried up when I zapped it tonight and it doesn't want to go down so having a rest now and will try milk or yoghurt later once it's settled down. Just one of those lessons to learn on this journey slow and steady with the support of your team move on as fast or as slow as your pouch allows listen to it and learn. I have consulted my teams dietitian at every step and listened to her advice and guidance as we try to help me see if I can manage solids ready for my holiday which starts Sunday, due to the fact of this holiday my ability to take time off at the end of one school year rather than the start of the next meant neither my date or holiday could easily be moved hence the progress road I am on.
Basically my dietitian said with the exception of bread, pasta and rice try what I fancied and see how it felt.

My hospital is very clear that it's liquids for four weeks ( strained-no lumps and not even soup can be liquidised) then four weeks puree/sloppy food,soft food and only then start on regular food. Each provider is different and goes on what works best for them. I am not tempted to try moving to the next stage so far ( 10 days post op) as I don't feel at all hungry, work hard to get all these blooming fluids in and am a total coward !!!
Who knows how I'll feel in another week though lol !

Well!!!! Now I am surprised at all the answers and as stated before, I listen to my pouch and so far have had only a few painful epsiodes. I had an epsiode yesterday with half a banana!!!! I was ill all day and the only thing that shifted the banana was fluid, fluid and more fluid. I have ate well today. I had cheerios for breakfast, philli cheese with mini cheddars for lunch and for tea I had fish in parsley sauce, 2 small salad potatoes with microwaved mixed veg. I ate all the fish, and a couple of forks full of mixed veg and felt well satisfied. I just ate some mini cheddars with sardine and tomato paste. Yummmmmmm :D xx

Sardine paste is a good idea. I'll remember that for when I'm allowed lol !!

Back