• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

For the pre op people...

phatmomma

A few times this last week i've read posts about newly post op people being tired a few weeks post op, how doing the shopping etc has worn them out...

Listen up!!! You are not supposed to be shopping straight after blooming major surgery, you are supposed to be resting!!!

Your all here learning all you can about your surgery. The surgery is not the hardest part of the journey, it's after that counts. Your diet and how you take care of yourself. So please, oh please, prepare for when you come home from hospital. Not just for you but also for your families. If you need to shop weekly because of finances then set up ready for home shopping delivery. Okay it costs a £5 sometimes less depending on delivery day, but by the time you take bus fares/taxis/petrol into account it's a small price to pay to give yourself recovery time....

Take heed and look after yourselves xx

I'll be sure to remember this for after my op. Thanks for sharing the advice, I definitely intend to rest and recuperate.
xXx

Last edited:
Asda I think do cheaper delivery rates if you book a wider delivery window, last time I did it it was only £2 for a 4 or 6 hour window.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I agree Julie I cant stress how tired I was.The healing is all going on inside,just cos you had keyhole doesnt mean thats all thats been cut!Your stomach has been sliced in two!Imagine you had been in a car accident and your stomach ruptured,your gut has been divided and realigned elsewhere,some like me will have had a hernia repair or gall bladder removed.If you had open surgery im sure you would take it easier!

That's the one Maz ;) I was staying in all day anyway, and post op you're likely to be staying in too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I already get my shopping delivered. I find food shopping soul destroying lol.
The way I look at it is it's well worth the delivery charge in terms of petrol costs as well as how much £ I'd earn in the 1-2 hours it takes me to drag myself aroung the shop.
Plus I only order what I need not what's on offer tempting me into eating fatty/sugary foods. I found it's a good habit to get into...
xx

Years ago I had a breast reduction. I was told no lifting, no bending etc etc.
Anyway I went for a post-op checkup & there was a lady there in absolute hysterics. She'd had same op as me and decided to ignore what the Docs told her & pick up her 12 month old baby. She tore open all of her internal & external stitches & was bleeding horrendously in the waiting room.
It was a week before Xmas & she was given the option of going under & being stitched (making it unlikely she'd be home for Xmas) or be stitched while awake & numbed. Needless to say she opted for the stiching there & then to be with her baby at Xmas & we could hear her crying in the waiting room the whole way through.
Now no matter what surgery or procedure I have I always follow GP directions to the letter. I'm too frightened of the consequences otherwise.
Be careful everyone. They're the experts & wouldn't give the advice unless it was in our best interests
xx

I'm spending the next three weeks giving the house a thorough spring clean, freezing a months supply of various pureed foods, getting all my bills paid and tying up any loose ends. Apart from the dog walking I aim to be reclining on the sofa when I get home from hospital.
I'll only be walking the dog round the corner to the park and I will plonk myself on a bench and let him run round.

Thank you for the advice xx

Yorkie be sure to let the dog have a 'keep you going' pee in the garden first, don't want him pulling you all the way to the park cos he's bursting lol xx

whoops! went tesco today and O MY DAYS i was in pain.. right side of site was in agony and i have terrible back ache....

so yes...listen to PM!!

Thanks for the good advice, its sensible when you think you have just had major surgery. xx

What would we do without our momma!!!!!!!!

Sarah i'll always be lurking somewhere on here. I'm so greatful for Mini and Pierce for giving us such a wonderful support system. I've received so much out of this group and it is my cyber home.....i'll never leave any of you xx

I spent the first 2/3 weeks walking from the front window to the back window, couldn't even go into the garden because of the snow, hubby did everything in the house. I was so board and fed up but I knew that was how it had to be.
so listen to Julie, you know she's talking sense.

Sue you are very right and bang on the button with that last post.

You've had major surgery so can't do anything strenuous like housework or shopping. However you are not an invalid and the sooner you get out of the sitting in your pj's all day and have a walk around the house/garden the sooner your wind pains will go and you will slowly bring your strength/energy levels back up. Its recognising the fact you are capable of making a cup of tea for yourself but also resting when your body asks for it. Lets face it if you had a baby who was tired you'd put it to bed for a wee nap wouldn't you?

Back