• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Funding application. Southampton

barbiegal5

Hi all,

So I have completed my 6 months tier 3 weight loss course at Spire Southampton and waiting for letter to be sent to GP. I didn't lose any weight at tier 3 but attended all appointments. My GP is so supportive and said she will refer me for funding for surgery if that's what I want but I get the impression they haven't applied before or if they have done then not for some time. I am at a surgery in Chandlers Ford. I don't have any particular health issues but have had several problems with back and had time off with back pain, I also suffer with knee pain now, and have varicose veins with skin changes to my legs too. I am 33 years old and BMI is 47. Any ideas on chance of getting funding or not??? Everyone talks about postcode lottery so anyone from my area had similar experience??

Thanks in advance guys! X

Hi with a bmi of 47 you should meet the requirements according to the NICE guidelines. Good luck
Thanks aprylsdad. I was under the impression that different PCTs can have their own guidelines for surgery, especially with none of the co-morbid irises that they seem to go by eg. Diabetes, high Bp etc.

That is the case in some areas but my dietician from tier 3 at Spire said they use the NICE guidlines so you should be ok. Best of luck

Hi

I am winchester done tier 3! Lost nothing had to go back to doctor after for her to refer me! Doctor did 8th December I had op on 12th feb! Had op in spire! You will get finding and it will be very soon! Get back to your doctor to ask for referral! ?

Hi I am winchester done tier 3! Lost nothing had to go back to doctor after for her to refer me! Doctor did 8th December I had op on 12th feb! Had op in spire! You will get finding and it will be very soon! Get back to your doctor to ask for referral! ?

Hi lynnepoth, thanks for your reply! That gives me hope! But you know what it's like- don't want to be too hopeful in case it gets rejected!
My GP has been really good and says she will refer me, she is just waiting on the tier 3 letter (which will prob not say they recommend tier 4 as haven't lost weight on it!). So once my GP refers me hopefully won't be too long then until I hear?!?
Glad you got to go through for surgery, which surgery did you have and who was your surgeon? How have you felt since the surgery?
Sorry for all the questions! X

Hi lynnepoth, thanks for your reply! That gives me hope! But you know what it's like- don't want to be too hopeful in case it gets rejected! My GP has been really good and says she will refer me, she is just waiting on the tier 3 letter (which will prob not say they recommend tier 4 as haven't lost weight on it!). So once my GP refers me hopefully won't be too long then until I hear?!? Glad you got to go through for surgery, which surgery did you have and who was your surgeon? How have you felt since the surgery? Sorry for all the questions! X

I did not lose weight either and my report stated that they were concerned I could not change habits so don't fret! Once referred was very quick! I had bypass and the lovely Mr van den bossche operated on me!

I did not lose weight either and my report stated that they were concerned I could not change habits so don't fret! Once referred was very quick! I had bypass and the lovely Mr van den bossche operated on me!
Thank you! Will keep you posted! Was it this Feb you had it? How have you felt since?? Are you able to eat solids yet?

12th feb was op with pre op diet I have lost 3st 7!!! I had fab recovery no problems! I will be moving to normal foods this week! I feel fantastic!

12th feb was op with pre op diet I have lost 3st 7!!! I had fab recovery no problems! I will be moving to normal foods this week! I feel fantastic!
Oh wow, sounds amazing, well done you are doing so well! Keep up the good work! Hopefully I will be able to be in touch soon with some good news with me getting the go ahead for surgery! X

Latest update-
Got my letter from tier 3 which has advised for additional psychological support- not happy!! I know that I am prepared psychologically for surgery and for longterm changes to my eating etc. I'm going back to my GP next week, I think she will still support me and say she will refer me for surgery, but I just don't know who it is who decides yes or no to surgery. Feel a bit deflated at the mo ?

Latest update- Got my letter from tier 3 which has advised for additional psychological support- not happy!! I know that I am prepared psychologically for surgery and for longterm changes to my eating etc. I'm going back to my GP next week, I think she will still support me and say she will refer me for surgery, but I just don't know who it is who decides yes or no to surgery. Feel a bit deflated at the mo ?

Mine wasn't a brilliant report saying they didn't think I could stick with the life changes but my doctor referred me! It's the doctors decision I think! Don't lose faith! I am now 9 weeks out and lost 4st 1lb since pre op diet!!

Mine wasn't a brilliant report saying they didn't think I could stick with the life changes but my doctor referred me! It's the doctors decision I think! Don't lose faith! I am now 9 weeks out and lost 4st 1lb since pre op diet!!
Thanks so much.
Got my GP appointment next Friday so will wait till then and see what she says. Fingers crossed!
Thanks.
Your results are totally amazing by the way! Do you work? How long have you had to take off for recovery? X

Thanks so much. Got my GP appointment next Friday so will wait till then and see what she says. Fingers crossed! Thanks. Your results are totally amazing by the way! Do you work? How long have you had to take off for recovery? X

Yes I work in office! I had two weeks off and went back no problem! Recovery been fab!

Latest update-
Got my letter from tier 3 which has advised for additional psychological support- not happy!! I know that I am prepared psychologically for surgery and for longterm changes to my eating etc. I'm going back to my GP next week, I think she will still support me and say she will refer me for surgery, but I just don't know who it is who decides yes or no to surgery. Feel a bit deflated at the mo ?

I was under weigh ahead and I personally think that they offer a poor service , like you I didn't lose weight but put on some due to steroid for asthma being uncontrolled , the psychological impute was minimal . And very unsatisfactory . I was under enormous strain due to my daughter telling me about DV and the.threat of her ex Coming up at our house. . The psychologist offered half hour session really !!!! Did they think half an hour would work when your daughter just told you she been strangled !!! I told them that was bad practice that they would just open me up and then not be able to fix things . Get real I told them that I didn't belive this was good enough and I had arranged to see a counselor my self privately for 6/8 sessions . ( I work in mental health) they wrote that a neagative report but my GP applied for funding which I got . I was bypassed nov13 , had a problem with anesthetics which I failed due to my heart and had to see cardiologist and cardiac sugeon , but with their approval I had the op and it's saved my life , apart from the vanity of looking good in size12 clothes my health had dramatically improved , sleep apnoea, high blood pressure, astham . All gone , I'm still left with a tight heart valve and will need this done but at least in not carrying 10 stone around with me putting more strain on my heart .

The post code lottery refers to whether you're in an area that follows NICE guidelines for funding or has a local Clinical Commissioning Group that decides/restricts funding. For example I had a BMI of over 50 but was told I wasn't eligible for referral to Tier 3 on the grounds that I didn't have diabetes. I ended up going private and having the surgery in Belgium as I my health was rapidly deteriorating.

It turned out I had something more serious that was treated during my first surgery and was then considered an emergency and charged to the NHS through EHIC delaying my WLS by five months (and another trip to Belgium). But I digress - I'm happy that I had the surgery but am frustrated with the post code lottery. Due to poor health I wasn't able to afford to move home in order to find an area where I would be eligible for NHS funding. It was so frustrating. I'm not saving for excess skin removal before paying back my private loans for the bypass. Always living in debt these days :(

The post code lottery refers to whether you're in an area that follows NICE guidelines for funding or has a local Clinical Commissioning Group that decides/restricts funding. For example I had a BMI of over 50 but was told I wasn't eligible for referral to Tier 3 on the grounds that I didn't have diabetes. I ended up going private and having the surgery in Belgium as I my health was rapidly deteriorating. It turned out I had something more serious that was treated during my first surgery and was then considered an emergency and charged to the NHS through EHIC delaying my WLS by five months (and another trip to Belgium). But I digress - I'm happy that I had the surgery but am frustrated with the post code lottery. Due to poor health I wasn't able to afford to move home in order to find an area where I would be eligible for NHS funding. It was so frustrating. I'm not saving for excess skin removal before paying back my private loans for the bypass. Always living in debt these days :(
That seems so unfair for you Marcus! Sounds like you are on the right track now though ?

I was under weigh ahead and I personally think that they offer a poor service , like you I didn't lose weight but put on some due to steroid for asthma being uncontrolled , the psychological impute was minimal . And very unsatisfactory . I was under enormous strain due to my daughter telling me about DV and the.threat of her ex Coming up at our house. . The psychologist offered half hour session really !!!! Did they think half an hour would work when your daughter just told you she been strangled !!! I told them that was bad practice that they would just open me up and then not be able to fix things . Get real I told them that I didn't belive this was good enough and I had arranged to see a counselor my self privately for 6/8 sessions . ( I work in mental health) they wrote that a neagative report but my GP applied for funding which I got . I was bypassed nov13 , had a problem with anesthetics which I failed due to my heart and had to see cardiologist and cardiac sugeon , but with their approval I had the op and it's saved my life , apart from the vanity of looking good in size12 clothes my health had dramatically improved , sleep apnoea, high blood pressure, astham . All gone , I'm still left with a tight heart valve and will need this done but at least in not carrying 10 stone around with me putting more strain on my heart .

Yes I know exactly what you mean re psych input! My final report said "should consider further psych input before surgery" which has really annoyed me as I genuinely don't feel I need it! Majority of my psych problems are due to being overweight anyway! My GP has said she doesn't think it's worth applying for surgery at moment until we have "jumped the hoops" so to speak, so waiting to find out what psych input they want!! My GP is phoning to ask them but I hope it's not going to take forever!! ?

That seems so unfair for you Marcus! Sounds like you are on the right track now though ?

Yeah, maybe I can start saving up for a spell checker as well.

Back