• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Funding - East & West Sussex

suepat10

Found this which may be of interest to those of us living in the county.

You need to click on the 'Doc' link at the top of the letter dated 18th November.

Apologies if this has already been posted elsewhere.

Gastric Band Funding - WhatDoTheyKnow

On a selfish note, I may well know whether my funding has been approved by the end of next week!

Last edited:
Good luck with your funding decision. I know the wait is nerve racking :-O

Thanks Trisha.

I can see from that document that I should hear about funding this week BUT my application will be declined for not following a recognised weight loss plan for the last 12 months.

It's frustrating that for the 2 years until May 2010 I was so if I'd applied this time last year I'd have got it x

Yeah the goal posts seem to move as we get closer to them. I felt relief when I hear I had funding just before Christmas, but I still don't feel safe the op will go ahead.

A lady this week was admitted for her band and they said she hadn't had a scan on her liver. That was the first time I had heard of our hospital scanning livers - first time she had heard too, so back home and back on the milk diet until they sort out that glitch.

What will you have to do appeal or start the 12 month course?

I'll ask my GP to appeal as I followed Slimming World for two years which shows I can stick with it. If no joy I'll have to reapply in 12 months having followed a plan x

I asked my gp last week for banding im in west sussex. He told me that they are no longer doing it on nhs and that i should look privately. Safe to say i could have cried

I asked my gp last week for banding im in west sussex. He told me that they are no longer doing it on nhs and that i should look privately. Safe to say i could have cried

I can't post a link as I'm on an iPod but I've just read a document saying GPs in West Sussex can refer from 1st October 2011.

I know it's a horrible wait but hang in there xx

Omg really I do hope so i'm feeling really desperate. I can lose weight but just cannot keep it off nor keep to it atm. Lost 12 st few years back 6st of that was with the help of reductil even ended up with a tummy tuck....tummy still pretty flat, fat just gone else where. Have high bp just had bloods taken checking for lord knows what else. I'm pretty sure he wont find any other reason for being fat lol. My bmi is over 40.

I'm still on iPod so can't do links but if you do a Google search using the words - west Sussex bariatric nhs deferred procedures - the first result is a PDF document which explains about referrals being deferred to 1st October.

It also mentions a new 3 tier system was introduced in January.

How right was Penguins when she said about goal posts moving!

I posted a link for 3 tier structure, I dont quite understand it all but to me its telling me that theres not a hope in hell of surgery unless bmi is 50. Dieted all my life one way or another now i'm hoping that they find something in my blood test that will boost my chances and I shouldn't be thinking like that.

From the way the tv news was harping on about weight loss surgery I thought there was going to be more help not make us feel deflated and disapointed. I would think if funding has already been approved you've made it through. And from what I saw on docs screen no nhs referalls allowed was dated 20 april....

Sorry, missed that link. I think what it is saying is that 50+ BMI can go straight to surgery. Others have to do what it says at their tier and if that doesn't work you move up a tier.

If so, how about joining a slimming club but see your GP when you join and then see him to get weighed etc periodically. Then when they restart funding your GP can state you have been following a program under his supervision which will fulfil other criteria they may use

I do weightwatchers online at the mo, been doin that since after xmas. Came of track for 2 weeks so most of what i lost has gone back on. Did slimming world before that. Did sliming world for years think you end up a bit brain washed by it all after a while and slimming world doesn't really help with portion control so thought i would try ww.

Hi everyone

I can clarify about this. I was referred to Tier 3 in January i am one of a group of 9 who are the first ones to go through the new programme in West Sussex, all of us have been turned down for funding previously. It is a year long programme abd the first of it's kind in Sussex, normally it is 12 weeks, with the possibility of a further 12 if you do well.
I think that going forward the tier system is looking like the way forward. It's not easy but at least it is structrued and the tier 3 team (who are lovely) can refer for surgery.

Thank you for that info. Although I'm in East Suusex it's still interesting to know that in case it comes 'over the border' to us x

Hi chuffy, so do they put u on a weight loss program for a year to see if you lose weight or to see that you are commited or both? I mean what if you lose a good few stone in that year they may say you don't need a band as you have lost 3 stone on your own. I know its brill to lose that 3 stone but if your head is in the zone that your going to get a band at the end of it and they then turn round and say no i think i would be devistated.....

Back