• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Balloon; general anaesthetic

Muttley69

Hi there,

I'm looking for a little advice. I have been referred for a gastric sleeve on the NHS. However, my surgeon is refusing to do the procedure until I have lost quite a bit of weight. To facilitate this he would like me to have a balloon. I've now found out that he wants me to have a general anaesthetic for this.

I'm confused - i didn't know that people are ever required to have a general for a balloon? Does anyone else know of this? I'm also confused because one of the reasons he wouldn't give me the sleeve was that a general at my weight would be dangerous. So what's going on? I would really like some advice from anyone who has been through something similar or who can explain the thinking behind his decision, if at all possible!

Yours hopefully,

Alan

hi im in the same boat! was booked in for a sleeve, but someone died and as my bmi was 70 i have been told i have to have a balloon first for 6 months and then a sleeve!

It maybe (I'm assuming) that as the balloon insertion will only be a few minutes of anaesthetic rather than the several hours needed for the full operation?

Back