• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Balloon Gastric Balloon Information/Chat

Hello, I have been pondering about a gastric balloon, for a little while. I haven't had any consultations/quotes just been reading up on it when I feel down, this post has been really helpful.

I am 33, 5' 3" and weigh 13st 9, my BMI is 34. I don't know anything about gastric bands or sleeves so don't know if they are suitable, it was the balloon that caught my eye.

My only concern is what would happen to me after the 6/12 months I suppose? I am interested in hearing from people who have had the balloon removed now, the level of care/help received during & after etc.

The interest free credit also appeals to me.

I am interested to know if others think I am suitable etc. I want to lose 3 stone.

I had slimmed right down a few times, but its crept back both times, I've been at a slimming club for a few weeks now but it's just not shifting, it's like my body is immune. I now have an underactive thyroid and I hope that wouldn't affect it?

I suppose I need to contact a few companies now, I live in Birmingham and I expect there's a few doing it here.
Hi, i've being doing the same! I finally plucked up the courage and made an appiontment. I met with the consultant yesterday (this is free of charge), He was very empathetic and didn't appear to judge me. He advised i'd have to make changes and take some time away from my family for myself to allow me the time to exercise etc. which I understand. I currently have a BMI 36.5 and he said I would be a suitable candidate for the gastric balloon procedure. He's sure this procedure will help me get to my goal weight as other dieting options have failed for me. I'm going to take the 0% finace option which is only over a 12mth with NHC as i'm having the procedure done privately. I've already saved half the money which i'd be using for WW or SW classes etc. I've booked an appiontment with the dietician next friday. So i'll wait to see what he has to say. Please ask if you need any other details. There are lots of lovely people on this forum who are really supportive and understand how you 're feeling and are only too willing to help you where they can. This forum has been a real saviour for me when i'm feeling really low about my weight. Good luck with what you decide. R xx

Hi, i've being doing the same! I finally plucked up the courage and made an appiontment. I met with the consultant yesterday (this is free of charge), He was very empathetic and didn't appear to judge me. He advised i'd have to make changes and take some time away from my family for myself to allow me the time to exercise etc. which I understand. I currently have a BMI 36.5 and he said I would be a suitable candidate for the gastric balloon procedure. He's sure this procedure will help me get to my goal weight as other dieting options have failed for me. I'm going to take the 0% finace option which is only over a 12mth with NHC as i'm having the procedure done privately. I've already saved half the money which i'd be using for WW or SW classes etc. I've booked an appiontment with the dietician next friday. So i'll wait to see what he has to say. Please ask if you need any other details. There are lots of lovely people on this forum who are really supportive and understand how you 're feeling and are only too willing to help you where they can. This forum has been a real saviour for me when i'm feeling really low about my weight. Good luck with what you decide. R xx

how is it going? nhc = nucleus? x

hi could any of you tell me if you have had the spatz balloon and if its been sucessful? im new on here have signed up cause i found this thread, and the person that originally posted "need to loose 4 stone" i wanted to see how she got on, and about the finance as im struggling at the moment, and unsure weather to have the band rather than balloon need to know the balloon works before i choose that! please can someone help? xx:(

hi holly, it pains me to say the balloon has NOT worked in any shape or form for me and although nuclueus are a very good place to have the balloon inserted they do not keeo up their end of the support, they are supposed to call me once a week to check my progress but they havent called me since week 3!! i felt like i had a normal appetite after 4 weeks it just doesnt have a big enough effect. i think it has worked for other people however this is not a gaurantee. i think it is bad that you cAN waste £5000 as i have on the chance of it not working. Now on the otherhand you do have to try really hard to lower your food intake which i did do, with minimal results. the doctor kept telling me i have to make an effort too which i was but my point was the the balloon feels non existene i thought the balloon was supposed to have a bigger role in my weight loss journey but unfortuntaly that isnt the case for me.

i am still waiting to hear back from them regarding having a new balloon inserted and that was in april and its now august and its due out in septemeber. its very bad service and they just blame it on you for not making an effort. it is very soul destroying.

i plan on writing a letter asking them what they are going to do about it as whenever i call them they ask me what effort i'm making and completely denying responsibility for the balloon.

i know a lady on here nicola1 who has lost a good amount of weight but she has even had to make a more than conscious effort to diet.

if i were you i would just pay for the gastric band as it has a much higher success rate.

also i think many people readin this may think i am a stupid person for not making this work and that i thought the balloon would do it all for me, this is not the case, i am an intelligent woman who knows that eating less/more healthily is the way to weightloss however i thought the balloon would boost/aid my weightloss similar to how the gastric band does but sadly i am wrong.

i am very happy for those of you that it worked for.

but those who are thinking about it, please think about the possibility of it not working and think of alternative options that have a higher success rate.

i havent been on here in so long because i felt so embarrased but i am coming to terms with it now.

Thanks, xx

Thx for a very open & honest thread. I am a post op sleever but interested in this for my sister. Important to see both sides.

needtolose4stone said:
hi holly, it pains me to say the balloon has NOT worked in any shape or form for me and although nuclueus are a very good place to have the balloon inserted they do not keeo up their end of the support, they are supposed to call me once a week to check my progress but they havent called me since week 3!! i felt like i had a normal appetite after 4 weeks it just doesnt have a big enough effect. i think it has worked for other people however this is not a gaurantee. i think it is bad that you cAN waste £5000 as i have on the chance of it not working. Now on the otherhand you do have to try really hard to lower your food intake which i did do, with minimal results. the doctor kept telling me i have to make an effort too which i was but my point was the the balloon feels non existene i thought the balloon was supposed to have a bigger role in my weight loss journey but unfortuntaly that isnt the case for me.

i am still waiting to hear back from them regarding having a new balloon inserted and that was in april and its now august and its due out in septemeber. its very bad service and they just blame it on you for not making an effort. it is very soul destroying.

i plan on writing a letter asking them what they are going to do about it as whenever i call them they ask me what effort i'm making and completely denying responsibility for the balloon.

i know a lady on here nicola1 who has lost a good amount of weight but she has even had to make a more than conscious effort to diet.

if i were you i would just pay for the gastric band as it has a much higher success rate.

also i think many people readin this may think i am a stupid person for not making this work and that i thought the balloon would do it all for me, this is not the case, i am an intelligent woman who knows that eating less/more healthily is the way to weightloss however i thought the balloon would boost/aid my weightloss similar to how the gastric band does but sadly i am wrong.

i am very happy for those of you that it worked for.

but those who are thinking about it, please think about the possibility of it not working and think of alternative options that have a higher success rate.

i havent been on here in so long because i felt so embarrased but i am coming to terms with it now.

Thanks, xx

Very powerful story, let's hope others heed your advice
What's your next step now? Xx

hi ladies, well my next step is to just do slimming world and see if i can loose the weight on my own. as i have effectively lost £5000! well still paying for it as i got in on a 3 year 0% finance plan.

i am planning on writing to them this week as they never get my point on the phone they just fob me off and aks what I have been doing bla blA bla and i just feel like screaming at them saying what have i wasted £5k for if i have to do ALL the work?? it literally doesnt feel like i have it in except for the bad wind i get which is so annoying at times!! anyway it just really upsets me to think i have wasted so much money and i'm still fat :( am trying to look forward to slimming world though xx

Wow! I was not expecting that outcome and I'm sorry it hasn't worked for you. Before my op I looked into all WLS but I have too much to lose to even think about the balloon or the band.

Did you have the one that is adjustable in the end? If so did the saline not make a difference, and if not would the provider consider changing to it?

hello yes i had the 12 month adjustable one which get filled up twice, i went for a fill but they couldnt do the fill as they couldnt get to it apparently there was food in the way but i did starve for 2.5 days beforehand. that was in jan and i had hardly lost anything from sept to jan so they said they would get me back in april for a new balloon that was coming out but they havent called me, i called them in may and they said it will be about june time and its now 05/08 and still havent heard anything so i am now writing a letter......well planning on writing a letter this week to tell them i want a solution. to be perfectly honest i would like my money back as it has been terrible from the begininng i just cant believe i have spent so much money on something that doesnt have a good success rate. i have done research on other websites and have had very mixed reviews, whereas the sleeve/band etc have very high success rates as it literally restricts the amount of food you can comsume.

i just feel so worried that they will deny all responsibility as i did find the doctor quite arrogant but then thats doctors for you!! the nurses are nice but even they kind of admit you have to work hard on the diet, which again brings me to the point of asking what is the point of having the balloon if it plays less than the leading role in all of this big fat drama!! xx

Hmmmm :(

I've had the sleeve done and as everyone here will verify, no WLS does the work for you. It's just a tool - as I was told a gazillion times pre-op. however, if they've acknowledged there is a problem, offered an alternative but not followed it up I would get on it. send emails rather than letters as they are more secure and you have proof they have received them. Put a time frame on how long you will wait to hear from them and then start ringing. Phone every day until you get a satisfactory solution, whether that is a ace to face meeting, a refund or replacement.

Good luck and keep us posted!

hi danni i wasnt trying to imply that pther procedures do the work for you, i was trying to make a comparison that the role of other proceudres is far more obvious with the large weight loss in short space of time etc. my experience has been that you dont even know any different having the balloon in whereas other procedures so make you feel uncomfy if you eat too much and your stomach size is greatly reduced, i know you still have to make an effort and like ive said i understnad it doesnt just do it for you.

i know i should have probably chased them but i have kind of stuck my head in the sand through disappointment that it hasnt worked for me and they said they would call me about the new balloon i called them and they assured me they would call once its in but to no avail i have heard nothing!! i will email them tomorrow thanks for the advice x

You want everything in writing to keep an audit as phone calls are not able to be used as evidence. Stipulate a reasonable timescale for a reply to be sent prior you seeking recourse of your 5k through the small claims court. Worth a try and tbh the small claims procedure is a doddle so def worth considering if they are at fault x

yes i think an accumulation of everything and the STRESS it has caused me is enough tbh i just feel horrible thinking about it. thanks so much for your advice. i dont talk to anyone about it becuase i just cant bear facing upto it really :( x

I feel so awful of you as I'm sure you had all the thoughts and worries leading up to your procedure that we all have but this crushing disappointment afterwards. It isn't right that they are allowed to market a product that is so expensive and so ineffective.

Out of curiosity, has it marred your opinion of WLS in general? Would you take the plunge and go to an alternative procedure or write the whole thing off as a bad idea?

Hi All, sorry to hear that the balloon hasn't worked for you. You are right you do have to work at it and make a conscious effort regarding what you eat although I can honestly say I'd have it done again tomorrow. I have lost just over 4 stone and I know I couldn't have done it on my own, I feel much more confident in myself and able to wear/do things I'd thought would never could. I can walk in a high street shop now and pick up size 14/16 and they will fit and I never thought that would happen from a size 22/24.
The balloon for me has changed my eating habbits and although I can eat a full meal now on a regular plate I wouldn't be able to eat much then for the rest of the day and I trade off with if I've eaten X today then tomorrow I'll be good.
I can feel the balloon and it does restrict me( although it's not full) i now know when to stop putting food in my mouth. to be honest over the last 5 months I haven't worked at anything and just let the balloon restrict what I eat and although in this time I havent lost that much I still lost a little and haven't gained but my body shape has changed
I think it was just the right time for me aswell and my head was in the right place. I know after working with surgeons for years ( I know they do some good operations) I didn't want to risk going under the knife when a less invasive procedure was available because I know that surgery was not an option for me.
To cut a long story short, I would recommend having it done but like others have said it is only a tool to help you reach your goal and it wont do all the work for you, I am so pleased with it I even emailed Spatz themselves and thanked them for developing it and giving me my life back, because that's how happy I am with the outcome, I'm still on my journey although it's a healthier one now

Thank you for this open and honest forum I only wished I had read it before they put the balloon in my stomach.

I have no restriction at all and can eat just as much as I could prior to having it done and I am only 6 weeks out!!

I am intelligent and articulate and not stupid but I did think it would restrict what I can put in my mouth and it really doesnt!! I am trying not to go back to old habits but it is really hard and obviously no restriction old eating habits is how I got to this humongous size!!:cry:

The next few months are going to be really tough and as hard as before I started this process 2 years since!

Hopefully you will get sorted with either a refund or an alternative procedure for free. Fingers crossed we will all get there eventually.:wave_cry:

Aw no goofy =( this is what I'm worried about!!
I'm due to have it 26/9 where did you have it done?
Also what was ur start weight? Have u lost any? My phone doesn't let me see ur info if u have it on there!

Xx

I had my balloon in on 7th June at Sunderland it is a pre cursor to getting a bypass

Don't see anyone till 28/08 so although u initially lost a stone some of that has gone back on!!!

I must admit I have contacted Sunderland and they have been of no help just stated that this sometimes happens !!

Everyone is different and there was a lady in who had lost 5 stone with hers so it does work for some

Back to good old fashioned dieting them for me !!!

Back