• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric band - am I eating too much?

Mio

This is going to sound really bizarre, but I'm worried I'm eating too much after my banding on Tuesday.

I've not had any problems with keeping liquids down, and today I've managed to get through a serving of Slimfast this morning and a cup of tea, had a cup of soup and a milkshake for lunch and for dinner I had a mug of chicken stock with a glass of fruit juice and water (half and half). Been drinking water throughout the day as well.

It just seems like such a lot for me to be able to have so soon after surgery!

Hiya, this looks fine? I was on soups when I came out. I had a weeabix for brekkie & then 200ml of soup for lunch & 200ml for dinner (either homemade or shop bought & blitzed.) I had 2 snacks a day which was either low fat custard/yogurt/sugar free jelly. I never struggled with this & was thinking same as you. Weird how different hospitals have different guidelines. Mine was sloppy for 2 weeks, soft for 2weeks then onto normal food in wk 5 xx

Ah, thank you! It's so hard getting the balance between enough fluids and eating too much. I start on sloppy next week, just on liquids for a week and doing fine other than worrying I was having too much (and this blinkin' shoulder pain!)

At least my energy is returning now and I can finish a sentence, which was causing me problems even yesterday. Felt like I had narcolepsy for a while!

Mio

Dont worry what you are having is fine! you are on liquids only and although the band will restrict a certain amount flowing straight through as you are so early post op it its obviously keeping you 'full'.

I had to do the liquid diet for 2 weeks post op and you are doing the right thing keeping hydrated whilst mixing what you are having to keep it interesting. It would be very difficult to have too much on the liquid stage unless you were having high fat and sugar liquids of course.

Maz xx

Back