• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Eating too much? (Quite a long post!)

Charineet

Hi all!

InI about 7/8 weeks post-op and had the gastric sleeve procedure. I have been on normal foods and texturew now since Christmas day.

I am continually losing weight each week (on average a couple of pound per week), I drink around 1.5lt - 2ltr of water per day including sugar free squash.

However I am slightly worried I am eating far too much!

I get indigestion and full quite quickly during meals and my portion sizes are I think around the right size.

However, I get hungry again around about 1.5-2hrs after eating. I drink throughout the day (but not 30mins before and after meals as advised) so I know it's not where I am actually thirsty. It's also belly hunger rumbles rather than it just being in my head.

I can have a snack but usually I have 2/3! However Sometimes won't be able to finish the snack because I am full half way eating it.

I saw my dietician for my first initial 6 week appointment last week and she is not concerned so much. She didn't ask how much I was eating but what foods I was eating. I told her I was worried I am eating too much and she said to only have one snack a day, other than that she said she did not have any concerns and said "only you know you best, and only you can judge how much is too nuch". I cannnot tolerate increasing my portion sizes to reduce my snacking as get full very quickly.

Food ideas consist of:

Breakfast:.
1) 3 mini sausages, 3 slices of gherkin and the yolk of a 2 poached eggs (I don't like the whites of the eggs and the sauces are reduced fat)

2) 3 small wholemeal crackers, 1/2 a square of sliced reduced fat cheese and 1 slice of thin turkey or chicken

3) 1 dark rye ryvita with a slice of thin ham and a small amount of cheese

Lunch and tea :
1) reduced fat crustless quiche (it's the Tesco one and I make sure I don't have any of the pastry underneath so I only have the eggy part of the quiche- it's the small 125g one) and vegetables (can vary between broccoli, sweetcorn, peas, carrots)

2) 4 tinned meatballs and the tomato sauce it comes with. A tiny sprinkle of reduced fat cheese

3) just less than half of a 'healthy living' (reduced calorie) chicken hot pot ready meal

4) just less than half of a ''healthy living' (reduced calorie) chicken korma (I do not eat any of the rice)

5) 1 normal sized reduced fat sausage, 1.5 tablespoons of mash potato, a tiny amount of gravy (I don't usually eat the full sausage) and a tiny amount of peas

6) cauliflower cheese with carrots

7) potato wedges (half of a small jacket potato size, so around 5 small thin wedges) and two frozen meatballs (I try to remove as much fat as possible) pressed together like a beef patty. Some cheese on top of the beef and a few gherkins and sweetcorn

8) make my own potato skins with cheese and ham (only from half a potato

9) a vegetable burger

10) 3 fish fingers and carrots (I take off the breadcrumbs)

Snacks:

1) handful of nuts
2) reduced fat packet of crisp (baked)
3) a few raw carrot sticks and a small amount of dip
4) cheese rolled in a chicken slice
5) two cheese twists

I have not tried pasta, rice or bread (apart from crackers, cracker bread and cheese twist) and don't particularly want to.

They're the things I am eating I have 3 meals a day but only in a small amount. I'm worried as I was told on snack a day but I have around 2/3! (As well as my 3 meals).

I do weigh my meals and they're all under 250g, mainly around the 200g weight.

I'm also a bit worried as the dietician said to me I can have a ryvita slice but less than hqlf, but I usually have a full one!?

In your opinion am I eating far too much!?

Thank you all!

Charlotte

Ps sorry it's so long!

Hello charlotte and welcome u ham come to right place for advice unfortunately im pre opp so i not sure on amounts ect but there is loads of people who will be along later @slimkim is sleeved and a expert on whats whats in food have a look at some post @Bling Babe is also one of our go to ask ladys both should be around later to answer anything

Hello charlotte and welcome u ham come to right place for advice unfortunately im pre opp so i not sure on amounts ect but there is loads of people who will be along later @slimkim is sleeved and a expert on whats whats in food have a look at some post @Bling Babe is also one of our go to ask ladys both should be around later to answer anything
Tell im on a milk diet ...ham i wrote food is everywhere i meant have ...lol

Hi and welcome Hun :). I’m bypassed so may be slightly different Slimkim is sleeved as is Diary of a crazy lady so ther will be more help to you. It looks pretty good to me though hun and if your losing weight then something is right Chick :) xx

Hi and welcome, I am also pre-op so can't advise but surely if you were eating too much you would have discomfort?
Agree that looking at some diaries will help and may have the bonus of offering more food ideas which is never a bad thing lol

Hi all!

InI about 7/8 weeks post-op and had the gastric sleeve procedure. I have been on normal foods and texturew now since Christmas day.

I am continually losing weight each week (on average a couple of pound per week), I drink around 1.5lt - 2ltr of water per day including sugar free squash.

I get indigestion and full quite quickly during meals and my portion sizes are I think around the right size.

However, I get hungry again around about 1.5-2hrs after eating. I drink throughout the day (but not 30mins before and after meals as advised) so I know it's not where I am actually thirsty. It's also belly hunger rumbles rather than it just being in my head.

I can have a snack but usually I have 2/3! However Sometimes won't be able to finish the snack because I am full half way eating it.

I saw my dietician for my first initial 6 week appointment last week and she is not concerned so much. She didn't ask how much I was eating but what foods I was eating. I told her I was worried I am eating too much and she said to only have one snack a day, other than that she said she did not have any concerns and said "only you know you best, and only you can judge how much is too nuch". I cannnot tolerate increasing my portion sizes to reduce my snacking as get full very quickly.

Food ideas consist of:

1) 3 mini sausages, 3 slices of gherkin and the yolk of a 2 poached eggs (I don't like the whites of the eggs and the sauces are reduced fat)

2) 3 small wholemeal crackers, 1/2 a square of sliced reduced fat cheese and 1 slice of thin turkey or chicken

Lunch and tea :
1) reduced fat crustless quiche (it's the Tesco one and I make sure I don't have any of the pastry underneath so I only have the eggy part of the quiche- it's the small 125g one) and vegetables (can vary between broccoli, sweetcorn, peas, carrots)

2) 4 tinned meatballs and the tomato sauce it comes with. A tiny sprinkle of reduced fat cheese

3) just less than half of a 'healthy living' (reduced calorie) chicken hot pot ready meal

4) just less than half of a ''healthy living' (reduced calorie) chicken korma (I do not eat any of the rice)

5) 1 normal sized reduced fat sausage, 1.5 tablespoons of mash potato, a tiny amount of gravy (I don't usually eat the full sausage) and a tiny amount of peas

7) potato wedges (half of a small jacket potato size, so around 5 small thin wedges) and two frozen meatballs (I try to remove as much fat as possible) pressed together like a beef patty. Some cheese on top of the beef and a few gherkins and sweetcorn

9) a vegetable burger

Snacks:

1) handful of nuts
5) two cheese twists

I have not tried pasta, rice or bread (apart from crackers, cracker bread and cheese twist) and don't particularly want to.

They're the things I am eating I have 3 meals a day but only in a small amount. I'm worried as I was told on snack a day but I have around 2/3! (As well as my 3 meals).

I'm also a bit worried as the dietician said to me I can have a ryvita slice but less than hqlf, but I usually have a full one!?

Thank you all!

Charlotte

Ps sorry it's so long!
Hi and welcome. I'm pre op but I was reading about something like this the other day, which explained that processed foods will generally not make you feel full for long and to get that full for a long time feel of restriction you need to eat unprocessed foods like a piece of chicken breast or a piece of meat or fish and eat the protein first, then veg and carbs last. Processed foods like meatballs, sausages and cracker biscuits are slider foods, they don't stay in your stomach for long. I hope this helps a bit x

Hi and welcome. I'm pre op but I was reading about something like this the other day, which explained that processed foods will generally not make you feel full for long and to get that full for a long time feel of restriction you need to eat unprocessed foods like a piece of chicken breast or a piece of meat or fish and eat the protein first, then veg and carbs last. Processed foods like meatballs, sausages and cracker biscuits are slider foods, they don't stay in your stomach for long. I hope this helps a bit x
You're a fountain of knowledge xx

Hi all!

Food ideas consist of:

Lunch and tea :

9) a vegetable burger

Snacks:

1) handful of nuts
5) two cheese twists

Thank you all!

Charlotte

Ps sorry it's so long!
Firstly welcome, I’m bypassed so slightly different to you, I would suggest trying to increase your water intake if possible and do you strictly follow the 20 20 20 rule? The tummy rumbles could be your sleeve processing the food rather than hunger pangs especially if you can’t actually manage to eat the whole snack, Good luck xxx

@Sarnie is correct. Also you mentioned you don't wait 30 minutes before and after water to have food. The wait before food is to make sure you have enough space for the portion of food you should be able to handle in one sitting, the wait after food is to make sure the water doesn't speed up the emptying of your stomach so that you feel full longer as your tiny sleeve is processing your food. Your quantities seem ok but those other factors like the processed nature of your foods or the waiting to drink/eat may be the reason for your unwanted hunger. I hope that help.

Congrats on your weight loss thus far.

@Sarnie is correct. Also you mentioned you don't wait 30 minutes before and after water to have food. The wait before food is to make sure you have enough space for the portion of food you should be able to handle in one sitting, the wait after food is to make sure the water doesn't speed up the emptying of your stomach so that you feel full longer as your tiny sleeve is processing your food. Your quantities seem ok but those other factors like the processed nature of your foods or the waiting to drink/eat may be the reason for your unwanted hunger. I hope that help.

Congrats on your weight loss thus far.
I think she means she does wait 30 mins before and after food hun. xx

I think she means she does wait 30 mins before and after food hun. xx

ah ha, thanks for the clarification. I misread it.x

Post op bypass here! I was really worried that I wad eating too much, and moving too quickly between the different food stages.

As other people have said if you're losing weight and the amount you're eating isn't making you feel ill or sick then you're probably OK!

Lots of protien, keep up with the fluids and try to aim for fresh rather than processed stuff.

Listen to your body / stomach, it's all new so you just have to re-learn all its mumbles and grumbles!

Thank you so much! That's so helpful! X

Post op bypass here! I was really worried that I wad eating too much, and moving too quickly between the different food stages.

As other people have said if you're losing weight and the amount you're eating isn't making you feel ill or sick then you're probably OK!

Lots of protien, keep up with the fluids and try to aim for fresh rather than processed stuff.

Listen to your body / stomach, it's all new so you just have to re-learn all its mumbles and grumbles!

Thank you so much! Very helpful x

Thank you all very much for your advise!

I will definitely take on your advise x
Good luck, hope you work it out, it really is a huge learning curve x

Back