• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric band and flying

julieann

Can anyone help with advice on flying with a gastric band. I have a holiday booked to turkey in 4 weeks time and although i know that its not a long haul flight, does the band tighten with the flight, and if so how long does it take to go back to normal restriction? The reason i ask is because i have another band fill booked for saturday and i'm a little concerned that it may be too tight after a four hour flight. I would be grateful for any views and comments on this! julie:confused::confused:

"What about air travel?
Some people feel that the lap band is tighter when they are flying. This can occur if there are any small air bubbles in the band. At normal pressure on the ground, tiny bubbles don’t matter, but at 30,000 feet the pressure in the cabin may be inadequate and the bubbles can expand making the band feel tighter. As a result, you may find it a little more difficult than normal to swallow solid foods. This will return to normal once you return to ground level. We do all we can to remove air from the band, but it’s not always possible to eliminate it entirely. Incidentally, the gastric band does not set off airport security or x-ray systems."

Source healthierweight.co.uk

I think you will be fine :)

thats one thing i cant advise on as ive never flown since wls, but others tell me it tightens a little.

Thanks for that both of you, just not quite sure as to what to do regarding fill on saturday, as i have to have three days on liquid and three days on mush before i can go back to normal eating which only leaves me two weeks before my holiday.

why not leave your fill until after your holiday then it will stop all the worry.

Think i might do liz, but i'm just struggling at the moment and have noticed that even though i have restriction my portion sizes are creeping up so feel that i'm in a bit of a dilemma as to what to do!

when the portion sizes start to get bigger again its a sign you may need a top up as most people naturally lose part of the fill over time and thats how the restriction starts to wear off, you may just need a top up to the same amount you had in before or they may put more in, so the decision is going to have to be made, if you leave it till after your hols your just going to have to be extra carefull on your calory intake which on holiday can be hard.

liz x

I am now 6 weeks post oop and decided to put off my 1st fill till after holiday, I fly to Cyprus tomorrow (4hr flight) I thought I didnt want a fill the same week as flying so have gone for the 7th of June when I get back....my portions have sneaked up but still loosing weight so happy enough and would rather not have to be concerened whilst away.

It really may well be better to postpone till after holiday xx

Well after a lot of thought, i have cancelled my band fill til after my holiday, which is going to be a struggle and the willpower is really going to have to kick in because the earliest i can get a fill after my holiday (because of other commitments) is 5th july but i'm sure i will cope and i've decided that its better to have less restriction and enjoy the holiday rather than have it ruined because i'm so limited as to what i can eat. Anyway thankyou to you all for taking the time to offer advice. julie

I agree, enjoy your Holiday and get your fill when you return. You will feel refreshed and ready to get going again with your WLS journey.
Well done on WL so far.

Julieann, in my experience I've found that the heat tightened up my band and found i drunk a lot more water and was much less interested in food...even though we were all inclusive and it was on offer all the time! Don't worry too much about it & enjoy your holiday, I think your wise to wait for your fill until afterwards.

My first time abroad with the band I was terrified of needing an emergency unfill and you know what...it was a doddle. I would maybe take some cuppa soups or something just in case you feel soo tight and can't get anything solid down, having said that i'm sure they will have sloppy stuff anyway. Oh, by the way I went to Turkey last year and had a fab time..even with my band..enjoy xx

Back