• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Bypass how does it all stop

fatbutnot4eva

Loves her gorgeous family
When you get to your ideal weight how do you stop losing with a bypass ?

seems a silly question but I wouldnt want to end up 6 stone (believe it or not)

Thanks

Helen

Sorry cant help but I was wondering the exact same thing about my band :confused: I want to get down to 10 stone and anything after that is a bonus, wouldn't want to go below 8 1/2 st

Helen, I was told at my consultations , when I was choosing, that bypassers lose quicker to begin with and then it all balances out when they reach their target weight. Obviously I can't vouch for that but I'm sure some of the bypass gang at goal or near will help reassure you xxx

Kate I think we reach goal and have a little at a time taken out of the band until we can find a level that works with our normal healthy eating habits and keeps us around our desired weight. This is what I was told so I only hope I get to find out properly next year some time! :)

Thanks, the band thing I am sure that is what they do then when you eat the same amount every day the band allows for it and you stay the same weight.
The bypass I am wondering if you eat more (if only lol)
also does your new stomach stretch ?
also if something does go crazy can you old stomach be re-attached ?

Hi Helen I haven't had surgery. But I think you start to increase you complex carbohydrates like bread and pasta until you are maintaining. I am sure someone with more experience will be on soon to let you know or you could always pm Nic she is very helpful. I think they would only do a recontection if it was absolutely necessary.

Theoretically the bypass is reversible, however it is huge surgury and not done without very very good reason, and that's rare.

I hit target after 9 months, and being pregnant at that time I found it another learning curve to learn how to maintain my weight. Basically, I eat more, I eat higher fat foods, more carbs (complex ones though), more sweet stuff (but still in small amounts), i drink with meals and during the pregnancy I graze throughout the day.

Most people with a bypass will find that their weight loss slows down around 1 year post op, and gradually your body reaches a natural balance. It depends on how much you needed to lose and how well you've worked with the bypass as to whether that is the right balance for you, some will then have to work a bit harder at losing the rest of the weight. For me, the balancing act was the other way.

But hey, having to eat KFC and crisps and cake isn't exactly a chore ;)

Back