• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Bypass members

Butterfly83

Hi Forum, I hope everyone is in good health! I am having my gastric Bypass in 8 days:) but I am really starting to worry about how I will feel after the surgery and if I will be able to cope with my 2.5 year old child!:(
Please can you give me any warnings or tips for do's and donts Thanks.

Also is anyone having surgery at Charing cross hospital on the 10th Aug
:wave_cry:

Hiya. I had my surgery at CX too. You are in great hands there, the surgeons are very good and the nurses are also very experienced.

Everybody's experience is slightly different so I can only tell you how I felt immediately afterwards. The first few days maybe a week I felt very tired and a bit weak. Needed lots of sleep or rest. But soon after that I started to regain strength and was able to potter around the house.

Be aware of the emotional side of things. I cried, then I was deliriously happy. All over the place :) All perfectly normal.

You will do just fine. PM me if you want more details about CX. xx

I have not had surgery yet. But, have 2 year old twins and share your worries if I am ever able to have it.

I just want to wish you good luck and a speedy recovery!! Just think about all the things you will able to do with your little one once you are healed!!

xxxxx

The first week was rough I was tired, emotional and in some discomfort/pain. I found That after that first week though I picked up quickly and was back at work after 3 weeks. Just be aware that bending and lifting is a big no no for at least 6 weeks! You will be fine, hopefully you will have someone around to help you in the early days. You will be full of energy soon enough and doing all the things you always wanted to x

You will be sore, you will be tired and you will not want to be looking after a 2 1/2 yr old child. However, i am guessing you have planned help so you will cope. Make sure you rest, let someone help as much as they can with the little one.

Oh yes and please oh please don't let my advice stop your operation. I missed out on so much when my girls were small, you are at the perfect time right now to make the most of it. You are going to have so much energy and enthusiasm and the pair of you will have a funtabulous life xxx

Hi,my op is on the 10th Aug as well,but at Walsall. Just wanted to wish you the best of luck xx

Good Luck, the first week is very rough. then the next week is no so bad!! then every day after gets better!! One day soon i will be a skinny B*t*h!

Let's not beat about the bush. It's major surgery. You'll feel like you've been run over by a bus for the first few days, but conversly you'll most likely have a big smile on your face when you lay there thinking about how much weight you're going to lose.
I was sore for a couple of weeks, although not so bad that I'd need pain killers. I just found that walking from one room to the next would give me a dragging sensation down my side. Make sure you have lots of pillows or cushions and a nice fleecy throw and just relax on that sofa when you get home. The kids need to know they can't jump about on you.

You'll probably get your energy back in the second week then experience major tiredness a week or so later. So take it slowly and drink your water etc.

It's all worth it though. I don't have kids but I do have a very energetic dog whom I used to take down the field and throw a ball for whilst I sat on the bench. A couple of months post surgery and I have so much more energy. I'm running around after him and not collapsing when I get home.

You are in very very good hands at Charing Cross and will be well looked after. I had my surgery there in January 2010 and was feeling great afterwards but very very tired for several weeks. In fact I felt tired for about three months but that was just me. I had no pain, no discomfort, no regrets, no bad experiences with food but I did follow the "rules " and was very careful.

You can feel a bit emotional. I didnt really,but know others that did. As for looking after a two year old, I cannot comment but I really think you should line up as much support as you can for after the op and do not underestimate how much you will need to look after yourself physically and emotionally.

Good luck with everything.

Well said EB x

Back