• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

gastric bypass - questions to ask Consultant

JOHNG79

Hi guys,

Have consultation with mr kirk tomorrow with phoenix health.

Anyone any tips on questions to ask etc?

Also trying to work out right aftercare package with those & other providers esp re.post surgery complications time period.

Have consultation with mr li at healthier weight in 2 weeks but quite a difference in price.

Hi John

I had my gastric bypass done by Mr Li in Feb 2012 and after 3 or so years, I developed some severe complications. I've been under the care of several NHS consultants and dieticians since these complications developed and they have since provided me with the aftercare I so badly needed.

I've had several operations from the NHS to attempt to fix several issues. My NHS consultant has said that some of my complications is a result of Mr Li's actions, although that's just his own opinion.

Take a look at my previous posts which talks about it:

First post: https://www.wlsurgery.com/threads/3-year-down-the-line-possible-complications.160157/
Second post: https://www.wlsurgery.com/threads/what-else-could-go-wrong.160765

jes, just read that. Cant begin to imagine what you have been through. How are you now??

I'm improving but it has been a long process. I was able to gain some weight whilst tube feeding last year so I eventually had a third operation last month to finally try fix the narrowing problem. I'm still severely limited on what I can eat and still have vomiting on a daily basis but it's a lot better than what it was. Right now, this is probably the best it'll ever be. I decided I didn't want a full bypass reversal so my NHS consultant has done the best he can whilst keeping the bypass.

Despite the issues I face on a daily basis, I would rather have this than get a reversal and go back to my old overweight self. I just couldn't agree to a reversal even though they said that would be the best option so I've essentially chosen to live with restricted eating and regular vomiting.

My situation is rare however when you go for your consultation, ask about the aftercare. Find out everything you can about what they'll do if you are faced with complications. How long they'll provide aftercare for? Will you need to pay for anything? What'll happen if you develop a narrowing (an anastomosis stricture) at the join of your pouch and intestine?

I'm improving but it has been a long process. I was able to gain some weight whilst tube feeding last year so I eventually had a third operation last month to finally try fix the narrowing problem. I'm still severely limited on what I can eat and still have vomiting on a daily basis but it's a lot better than what it was. Right now, this is probably the best it'll ever be. I decided I didn't want a full bypass reversal so my NHS consultant has done the best he can whilst keeping the bypass.

Despite the issues I face on a daily basis, I would rather have this than get a reversal and go back to my old overweight self. I just couldn't agree to a reversal even though they said that would be the best option so I've essentially chosen to live with restricted eating and regular vomiting.

My situation is rare however when you go for your consultation, ask about the aftercare. Find out everything you can about what they'll do if you are faced with complications. How long they'll provide aftercare for? Will you need to pay for anything? What'll happen if you develop a narrowing (an anastomosis stricture) at the join of your pouch and intestine?

There really are some pitfalls to private Bypass isn't there..
Where the aftercare is either overseas or non existent.
I think this is why so many self funded operations tend to be the cheapest option of the Band.

I for one chose it for those reasons 12 years ago.

Ended up with an slippage that saw my band erode into my stomach and it also rubbed against my liver causing dreadful lesions..

I was extremely lucky to get NHS care purely by luck really ..
My husband also had a band many years ago prior to me meeting him.
He actually had 2 .. one slipped and was replaced..
The second one eroded.
He was revised to bypass and has now lost 30 stone and is maintaining at 14st ..
I went with him to a follow up apt and he mentioned to his consultant about my problems with the band.
I was told to get my GP to refer me straight to him with a covering letter and he took over my care thank goodness..

I think it's extremely important to make sure you have a good aftercare package and knowledge of the nearest NHS Bariatric unit if indeed after your care package has expired you know where to take yourself in case of an emergency..

Good luck with your upcoming bypass and I'm sure you have a rosy future in front of you :)

Back