• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Going to have a gastric bypass some advice needed please

captaincollins

Hello,

After years of trying to diet I have decided to go for a gastric bypass and as soon as we have sold our house we will have just about enough hopefully to do it.

I just have a few questions, after the following periods can you eat normal foods?
6months?
1 year?
2 years?

After 6 months could you go out and have a small pub lunch for example?

I am looking to have Mr Shaw Summers do it (he is lovely) LOL does anyone have experience of him and did they have it done key hole or open - does anyone know the price difference? and roughly what it costs?

I have given up with NHS funding! :mad:

Sorry for all the questions

Sharon

Hi Sharon, :welcome: to WLS loony forum!

I am pre-op but didn't want to read and run. There are loads of post-op 'losers' here who will be along to give you all the gen. We are a very supportive bunch.

Also, have a look at the BOSPA site

Best of luck!

You do need to think about what kind of eater you are. Do you cruise? Binge? Eat large portions? Bands can be cheated, but some people find they work fine for them. Again, some 'losers' will come along and give you the real deal as they have experienced it.

Whatever procedure you have is a tool to help stop or lessen the habits you have with consumption. But it isn't the panacea to the problem; as a seasoned dieter, you will know that the head must engage in the process too!

Hi,

I was on normal foods within 4-5 weeks post op. I quite often eat out, and have no problems. I will have a child's meal or a light meal, or order an adults meal and leave most of it!

As far as I know the delectable Mr Somers does both lap and open.

Hi Sharon. Sorry I can't help at the moment -still waiting to hear from Mr Somers myself!
BTW: It says on your profile that you're in Scotland? Shaw Somers in on the south coast. If you're planning to go to him for surgery, that is a HECK OF A LONG WAY TO GO!!!!!!

Hi sharon i paid to have my bypass you could be looking up to 11k depending who you go with and what you have done. I did not have shaw sommers but i did have a bery very good surgeon.

The others have mentioned the reasons for going for a bypass as opposed to a band. I had the bypass, one reason for the bypass is that sometime in the future you culd have to have a band replaced which would also bean another operation.

There are a number of weight loss surgery books on amazon that will also help you make an informed decision but most of all listen to the consultant who will by then have a history of your eating papperns ect, go away and think about what he has said before saying which one you want.

I had my bypass on 8 November and I eat normal foods and have done for some time. I still go out for meals and have the occasional takeaway. Your life does not alter to the extent you cannot eat what you ate before, you just eat so much less of it. Also you may find your taste in food changes. Obviously there will be some things your tum will reject but they advise to try again in a few weeks. I have gone from a size 20 into 14's today and dont feel that there is anything that I cant have if I want it...xx

I think that Shaw Somers does a cheaper option of semi-private aswell, were you are in a ward instead of a private room, and that can save a few thousand pounds! Sure I've read someone on here did that.

HI, thanks for the help, I really think that the bypass is bests, I know he is in Chicister (sorry for bad spelling) but I have family down south so its all good.

thanks
sharon

Sharon, I had Mr Ammori in Manchester and the man is a god!!! I paid 10, 000 for the bypass and three weeks and five days after my op i was in a pub for first time since op having something of from the light bite menu. Didn't go into the op lightly as we've found it very difficult to pay for but i honestly think its gonna be the only purchase i ever bought which lasts forever and that i will never regret, its bought me a life x x x

Back