• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Sleeve and Underactive thyroid!!

violetangel

Hi everyone

Just wondered if anyone has had a sleeve, who also suffers from an under active thyroid?

Just would like to here if peeps have been successful and to what amount weight loss wise. :)

I currently take 120mg of Thyroxine and have been taking it for 14 years. Before I had my thyroid problem I was never overweight.

I am hoping to lose around six stone with my sleeve. Do you think that this is achievable?

Thanks in advance guys!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Good luck with your journey! I have no thyroid issue so can't comment but I'm sure you will still be successful.

Thanks Kar8858 for your support xx

Hi I am in the same boat so to speak and would like feed back from anyone who has an under active thyroid and has had WLS . I have been taking 150mg of thyroxine a day for over 20 years and have battled with my weight the whole time. Not sure whether to have a sleeve or bypass and don't know if one is better with regards to having an under active thyroid. I couldn't find much information about it

Hi Soozy :)

Great to hear from you and thanks for posting Hun!

Where are you on your journey?

I did ask my surgeon that very question - about what procedure to have with thyroid condition - and he said he thought the sleeve would be preferable, due to malabsorption problems with the bypass. To be honest, I wanted to have the sleeve anyway so we were both singing from the same hymn sheet in that respect. He said the sleeve would work but I would have to work a bit harder to see results. He said it will be a great benefit to me in the long term, health wise.

Like you, I would love to hear from someone in the same boat who is a year or so post op. Hopefully someone will come along shortly.

Take care and keep me informed as to your progress as I would love to hear from you.

:)

Hi Violetangel,

I am not far from you I live in Shropshire. I am right at the beginning of my journey - I have had my first appointment with my consultant and have received my appointment for the group session which will be on the 5th October. As they are estimating a 10 month waiting time it looks like my op will not be till early next year. I am actually finding the waiting quite stressful but hey ho there's nothing to be done about it. I never considered surgery and always have dieted up and down like a yo yo. This is really the last resort and almost totally based on my health. I would be lying if I said I don't want the ease of picking clothes off the peg and being able to do things spontaneously without considering my size. But the big issue is I feel my weight has reached a point that its killing me and I want it sorted before I am 60. That means after surgery I've got 2 years to put some serious work in to reach my goal lol.

Hi Soozy :)

Thanks for the reply Hun.

I know what you mean about the waiting, it's a killer and I found that it sort of takes over your whole life. Hang on in there Hun as your turn will come.

I feel the same as you about buying clothes and the whole shopping experience. I am fed up of going to Evans and just buying something that fits me instead of something I really like that's not frumpy. I am also sick of going shopping with my friends and waiting for them outside the ship knowing that nothing will fit me. It's would destroying it really is.

Anyway, onwards and upwards for us now. It will be very hard work and a real commitment but we will do it because we are worth it.

I am going to set myself challenges with rewards . So when I lose a stone I will treat myself to a facial or hair doo: I am want to get my self worth back as my self esteem has been on the floor for many years. Being overweight can not only impact our physical health but also our mental state of mind and attitude.

Keep strong Hun and keep posting. I am starting my Dairy on the 1st July when I start my pre op, so hopefully I will chat to you on there. :)

The future is bright xx

Huggs xx

Hi, I have a under active thyroid and take 125mg levothyroxine a day, although I'm very early days, 17 days post op I've lost 1stone 13lbs since starting my pre op diet 4 weeks and 3 days ago xx

Hi kayy
Well done - your doing great. Keep us posted - I am excited to hear how you get on in the coming months.

Hi Violetangel, Not long now till you start your pre op diet bet you really feel its all starting to happen now. I will keep my eye open for your diary. Hopefully we will speak soon. Good luck!!! Soozy x

Last edited:
Good Luck! Six stone is achievable with a sleeve!

I don't have thyroid problems - so I can't offer advice there but I have had a sleeve for almost a year and have lost 1lb shy of 9 stone xx

Hi Violetangel, Not long now till you start your pre op diet bet you really feel its all starting to happen now. I will keep my eye open for your diary. Hopefully we will speak soon. Good luck!!! Soozy x
thank you so much Soozy for your kind words. I am hoping to start my diary in Wednesday next week.

So excited, but the old nerves are kicking in. I have wished for this to come for so long and now it's becoming a reality I can't believe it!!

Kayy - you have done brilliantly. You must be so proud of yourself. You've put my mind at rest now. Let me know how you do on your journey xx

Good Luck! Six stone is achievable with a sleeve! I don't have thyroid problems - so I can't offer advice there but I have had a sleeve for almost a year and have lost 1lb shy of 9 stone xx

Thanks Angelfish I feel so inspired by your achievement. Bloody hell mate that's incredible. You must be floating on air!!!

Hi, I have a under active thyroid and take 125mg levothyroxine a day, although I'm very early days, 17 days post op I've lost 1stone 13lbs since starting my pre op diet 4 weeks and 3 days ago xx

That's brilliant!!!

Big pat on back xxx

Back