• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Goal Posts Moved Liverpool

Rob1

:wave_cry: Hi, i am newby , this is my first post. I was referred by my doctor to the hospital 2 1/2 yrs ago for weight management for gastric bypass. The consultant at Aintree hospital Merseyside agreed that i needed surgery. My BMI was over 50 and I have high blood pressure, no other big health issues. My mother has had heart attacks, and my father who is deceased had diabetes which he eventually died from. My consultant said that I would have to go to a psychologist to meet the criteria. Next month I will have finished the 13th month group sessions for eating disorder (bingeing). The psychs have told us they are very pleased and will send my consultants a report.
When I first went to see my consultant 2 1/2 yrs ago he said my BMI would have to be over 40 for weight loss surgery, and that funding wouldn't be a problem. Every time I went over the next couple of years it was a similar story with no definite dates. 6 months ago he said he was pleased that my weight had not gained and that if I lost or maintained my weight at the next appointment he would be very happy. Last week I went for my new appointment at the hospital, but seen a new consultant and he has now told me, that my BMI is now under 50 and if I keep losing weight I may not fit the criteria. He has now given me another appointment in 6 months time and depending on my weight and BMI he might submit a letter for me to be considered for weight loss surgery.

Rob:copon:

Last edited:
Hi Rob, i went 2 years ago and asked for surgery but was refused as my bmi was 48 and had no other problems, since then i have put on weight due to steroids with and illness and now my bmi is over 50, and i have type 1 diabetes and high blood pressure i have been accepted, its like they make you want to gain the weight to be considered for it.

:wave_cry: Hi, i am newby , this is my first post. I was referred by my doctor to the hospital 2 1/2 yrs ago for weight management for gastric bypass. The consultant at Aintree hospital Merseyside agreed that i needed surgery. My BMI was over 50 and I have high blood pressure, no other big health issues. My mother has had heart attacks, and my father who is deceased had diabetes which he eventually died from. My consultant said that I would have to go to a psychologist to meet the criteria. Next month I will have finished the 13th month group sessions for eating disorder (bingeing). The psychs have told us they are very pleased and will send my consultants a report.
When I first went to see my consultant 2 1/2 yrs ago he said my BMI would have to be over 40 for weight loss surgery, and that funding wouldn't be a problem. Every time I went over the next couple of years it was a similar story with no definite dates. 6 months ago he said he was pleased that my weight had not gained and that if I lost or maintained my weight at the next appointment he would be very happy. Last week I went for my new appointment at the hospital, but seen a new consultant and he has now told me, that my BMI is now under 50 and if I keep losing weight I may not fit the criteria. He has now given me another appointment in 6 months time and depending on my weight and BMI he might submit a letter for me to be considered for weight loss surgery.

Rob:copon:

I'm really sorry to hear that youv'e been treated this way!! Its so awfull, and like Bexs99 say's its like they want you to stay big to get surgery which is in itself an absolutley awful way to treat people! you should be praised at the level of commitment youv'e shown and if anything be on a fast track to wls!! what your going through is really bad but always remeber to put your health 1st, these doctors need a kick up the back side or a :copon:! cheeky sod's they are! To be totaly honest i would get some advice from other users on what you can do to appeal if they refuse you the op on the grounds that youv'e lost SOME weight and the key is some and i'm sure had you of been able to shift it yourself you wouldn't be looking to them for surgery!!!! hope your well and keep healthy xx

Hi Rob,

A similar thing has happened to me in so far as I have been on a weight management course for about 14 months and my PCT's criteria has changed to BMI >50 with co-morbidities whereas before you did'nt need any over 50. I have had 2 rejections now for funding but I am going back for a 3rd !!! I am really going to drive home that I have done everything they have asked of me and I strongly believe that if you have been accepted at a certain criteria that that should stand and any changes to that their criteria should only apply to newcomers - what do you say.

I wouldn't wait another 6 months, they're just fobbing you off - I would contact your PCT abd have a go at getting some action after all you've been through. Best of luck

Jane x

Hi Rob and welcome!

I also went to Aintree Hospital and had to complete the Weight Management programme. Although it sounds as though your experience has been different to mine. The few appointements I had (the ones they didnt cancel) were pretty useless. I got more support at my local slimming world. An appointment once every 3 to 6 months was no help to me at all but a necessary part of the journey. You can see from my signature below how long it took me and I think I have been lucky to get the funding when I did, because of the all cut backs. I should hear any day now about my first appointment and surgery should be in the next month or two (I hope)

This has been a long road and I felt like giving up so many times. Dont give up and keep fighting for what you want this site is a great source of help, advice and support.

Wishing you the best of luck.

Im at L&D and this is my concern at the moment, I was BMI 52.5 with with high blood pressure and sleep apnea, when I started with them in February this year.

Since then I have lost 4.5 stone, which now takes me down to 45.2 BMI, I see the surgeon on the 2nd June, and I just have this suspicion that he will now turn me away.

I had mine done at the l@d and I was under 50 bmi when I had my op so don't worry they won't turn you away x

Back