• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Exeter newbie.. wondering what to expect??

mybeaut

Hi, this is my first post, I'm in Exeter and thought I should introduce myself.

I went to my GP 3 months ago and he referred me to the obesity team at the hospital, I've just had my first appointment with a consultant and the dietician - was told that I have to see the dietician monthly for 6 months and not to gain any weight, was expecting to be told to lose a certain amount/percentage but apparently as my BMI is over 50 (54) I just need to make sure I stabilize my weight, but of course if I can lose weight that would be great.

The dietician was excellent but the consultant was VERY rushed (he even admitted rushing as he was running behind) and I left a little confused about what will happen after 6 months.. The impression I got was that as long as I attend all appointments and don't gain any weight I will be given the go ahead in 6 months, but surely it cant be as easy as that?? Can anyone else throw some light on what I should expect?

Thanks in anticipation
Dee

Hi Dee

I replied to your other post. You should get a copy of a letter that the consultant will send to your gp and it should outline exactly what their expectations are of you. I'm really surprised re the no weight loss required. They were very strict with me re the target and there was no flexibility. I was referred by Exeter for surgery in Feb this year finally, and I have now got my date of 29th July so am nearly at the end of this part of the journey. The 6 months under the dietician was attending group sessions but I am not sure if they are still doing those.

Hi Paddy

Sorry I didn't see you'd replied - thanks

I was really surprised too, I was expecting him to say I had to lose 5-10% minimum but he didn't, even the dietician said they would only be wanting me to stabilize and not gain more weight and more emphasis was put on getting me into a balanced healthy eating pattern. She mentioned that I might have to attend a support group if they ran one (but aren't at the present time) and that I would have to see her monthly. I was told that if I missed an appointment or gained weight I would be off the programme and that was it?!

thought I had replied but its not here so guess I didn't press the button!!!

thanks for replying paddy, I was very surprised that he didn't tell me to lose weight too! I was expecting him to say I had to lose 5-10% minimum but both he and the dietician seemed to place more emphasis on stabilizing and not gaining and maintaining a healthy balanced diet, they said if I lose weight of course that's great but didn't give me any targets or anything like that. They said I must attend all appointments (once a month with dietician) and possibly attend a support group (but there isn't one running at the moment) and must not gain weight or will be taken off the programme, but that was it. I have my next appointment with the dietician at beginning of July so will find out more then, I'm just impatient and want to know everything now!

note to self - patience in a virtue - especially in this game!

I've written 2 replies but neither are showing?? probably come back on tomorrow and they'll all be there and i'll look like a mad woman repeating myself lol

Hi Paddy, Thanks for your reply.

I tried to reply twice last night but it didn't post for some reason! anyway..

I was really surprised that they didn't say I had to lose weight too! Although someone posted this link to the Clinical Commissioning Policy April 2013 which was really useful - I haven't read it cover to cover yet but have skimmed through it and seems to have the same guildlines as they were explaining

http://www.england.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/a05-p-a.pdf

The dietician said that I might be asked to attend a support group if they start another course but there's not one running at the moment.

Can you tell me; at what stage they apply for the funding? how long does it take to come through? and how long after these 6 months of being monitored I can expect to wait until actually having the surgery? (if everything goes to plan and they say yes)

Thanks
Dee

Hi Paddy, Thanks for your reply.

I tried to reply twice last night but it didn't post for some reason! anyway..

I was really surprised that they didn't say I had to lose weight too! Although someone posted this link to the Clinical Commissioning Policy April 2013 which was really useful - I haven't read it cover to cover yet but have skimmed through it and seems to have the same guildlines as they were explaining

http://www.england.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/a05-p-a.pdf

The dietician said that I might be asked to attend a support group if they start another course but there's not one running at the moment.

Can you tell me; at what stage they apply for the funding? how long does it take to come through? and how long after these 6 months of being monitored I can expect to wait until actually having the surgery? (if everything goes to plan and they say yes)

Thanks
Dee

omg im not mad I promise! knew they would all show up eventually! ... must be nearly up to the 20 posts needed lol

Hi mybeaut
The same thing happened to me, I repeated a post afer a day of it not showing up, then both appeared next day so I had to delete one. I think its because we are newbees so the admin check out the posts first.

Back