• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Goal setting.....

phatmomma

Many times i've read success stories and posts of how many lbs/stones people need to lose before they get to goal...

I seriously cannot set a goal that realistically i believe i can achieve... My boss tried to pin me down in conversation one day asking '' so what is your goal? You must have a goal''... But i don't. I can't imagine being slim! I've seen Sams fabulous results (having met her pre op and post op). And i read avidly your stories of how much weight you've lost. I look at your pictures on facebook, especially Terri and wonder what happened to that larger lady who is now replaced by a much slimmed down version..... I cannot imagine it for myself. I have my head around the life changes needed. But cannot imagine getting below a size 20 which is the smallest i've been in 22yrs... Don't get me wrong i dont think it will fail for me, but having done every diet going i imagine it will be like all those attempts and i will lose a bit then stop...............

Post oppers did you all feel and think the same?

yes and I still do feel the same. I am below 15 stone the fist time in 13 years and I still find it hard to believe now. I find it even harder to imagine that I can get anywhere near my 10 stone goal.

I don't think so...I just took it size by size. When I was at the start at over 25 stone , naturally I couldn't picture my head on a slim body anymore..but I was a size 32 so I got myself some cheap size 28 trousers and slimmed into those, then some 26's etc ..I'm almost into 18's now and being a 12 again is not such an impossible thing to imagine anymore. Take it a little step at a time.

Great thread Julie, and thanks for the lovely compliment.

I picked a healthy BMI as my target weight, but still cant imagine ever getting there to be honest. Theres no reason to doubt that I will get there, but its been so long since I was healthy it just seems a million miles away at the moment.

I know that as I approach 6 months post op I am going to have to make even more effort than I do now with my diet and exercise.

I can honestly say though that if my weight stopped today and I didnt lose another ounce or inch, I would still be delighted with what I have acheived so far.

You will make a success of the op Julie. I have no doubt about that.

Great post Julie :D

I feel exactly the same, i can't imagine myself under a size 18 which is the smallest i've been in my adult life

I couldn't imagine getting to any size or goal.

When I was admitted to hospital the dietician came to see me and said if one lost 2lbs a week for a year that was just over 7 stone.

I remember thinking "Oh that would be wonderful - I'd be between 15 and 16 stone!" And in my dreams!!

Never did I think I'd be contemplating a BMI of 25 - not there yet about 28 now - having a plateau at the mo - my first!!

And clothes come in sizes 12 and 14!! - at my biggest they were 32/34

So I never set goals - they just came and hit me between the eyes lol

Good luck

Angela x

When I was admitted to hospital the dietician came to see me and said if one lost 2lbs a week for a year that was just over 7 stone.

I remember thinking "Oh that would be wonderful - I'd be between 15 and 16 stone!" And in my dreams!!

Never did I think I'd be contemplating a BMI of 25 - not there yet about 28 now - having a plateau at the mo - my first!!

Good luck

Angela x

Fabulous post.

Many times i've read success stories and posts of how many lbs/stones people need to lose before they get to goal...

I seriously cannot set a goal that realistically i believe i can achieve... My boss tried to pin me down in conversation one day asking '' so what is your goal? You must have a goal''... But i don't. I can't imagine being slim! I've seen Sams fabulous results (having met her pre op and post op). And i read avidly your stories of how much weight you've lost. I look at your pictures on facebook, especially Terri and wonder what happened to that larger lady who is now replaced by a much slimmed down version..... I cannot imagine it for myself. I have my head around the life changes needed. But cannot imagine getting below a size 20 which is the smallest i've been in 22yrs... Don't get me wrong i dont think it will fail for me, but having done every diet going i imagine it will be like all those attempts and i will lose a bit then stop...............

Hey you. As a preopper I totally understand where you are coming from and how you feel. I too cannot see past a size 20-something the thought of wearing a size 18 trousers is alien to me :(
x

Good luck

Angela x

Superb postx

It's funny, I have the same problem. I managed to get down to a smallish size 16 for my wedding :character00250:17 months ago, and would be happy just to get back there AND STAY THERE! That's always been my problem - I'm a yo-yoer :devilangel:- the weight comes off and then goes straight back on again,:banghead: little bugger (or should I say big bugger!)

What I'm hoping for post-op, is to have the ability to get to a healthy weight and then have the tool in place to help keep it off.:fingerscrossed:

xx

I was a size 28 and weighed 22 stone 3lb before my op the heaviest id ever been, i would have been over the moon to get down to 16 stone and could only dream of this after my bypass, i never once believed that i could possibly get down to a 'normal' persons weight but here i am now 9 months post-op and weighing 13 stone 7lb and buying size 16 from next, i still have to pinch myself at times to make sure it's my reflection i see in the mirror xxx

I set my goal as the highest weight classed as 'healthy' on the body mass index!

So I am 2 stone away from that. Damn I wish I was taller!

My goals were not directly weight or size related but health related. I wanted to stop all insulin injections (achieved), stop all other diabetes meds (only taking about 1/3 of what I was pre-op), reduce/stop BP meds (1 stopped, 2 more to go). The other goal was to stop having to use my CPAP machine. I've been told I can reduce how often I use it and in fact I don't take it with me when I travel away from home, but I think it will be a few months before I stop using it completely.

Of course, to achieve these goals I have lost weight and inches and I'm really pleased by that. If I didn't lose anymore I would still be pleased, but the more one loses the more you think you CAN get to a "normal" size. Well here's hoping! :D

My goals were not directly weight or size related but health related. I wanted to stop all insulin injections (achieved), stop all other diabetes meds (only taking about 1/3 of what I was pre-op), reduce/stop BP meds (1 stopped, 2 more to go). The other goal was to stop having to use my CPAP machine. I've been told I can reduce how often I use it and in fact I don't take it with me when I travel away from home, but I think it will be a few months before I stop using it completely.

Of course, to achieve these goals I have lost weight and inches and I'm really pleased by that. If I didn't lose anymore I would still be pleased, but the more one loses the more you think you CAN get to a "normal" size. Well here's hoping! :D
Well done glenville, it's true that as well as the image side of things for many of us health is the main reason for taking this journey in the first place...thanks for reminding us all and well done on turning things around x

i know what you mean phatmomma, i'm 33 stone and to even contemplate being anywhere what they class as "normal" is like telling me i'm going to pose naked with david beckham on his next promotional shoot....like i say it's not realistic, why would it be, all i've ever known is fat sarah!!

This is a great thread and good to read. I have decided my goal will be 11st 7 but will be happy to be able to go into a normal shop and buy size 14 or 16. Anything better would be a bonus and would be happy just to get back in to the teens (weight that is not age lol).

Yep I am the same - I could never set myself a goal up until I lost my 6th stone - I decided then I would try for another 2 stone. I have no idea what my BMI would be or clothes size...it was literally a guess?!

I never set high goals as I was so used to failure and had a long way to go.

I have had a few goals along the way.
1. to follow the rules so to improve my chance of losing each week.
2. to aim for the next lower bmi catagory
3. to have a healthy bmi

now my last aim is to keep this weight off for life!

I thank you all sincerely for your replies...

I think the trick is to take it one day at a time. As someone said, stick to the rules and see how it goes.

I like the idea of buying a pair of trousers a couple of sizes down and seeing when they fit, or even do it the cheap way and just go to the shops and try stuff on for free...

Back