• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Good quality blender

mr97

Does any own a powerful quality blender like a Vitamix or a Blendtec?
Is it gathering dust or is it one of your prime kitchen appliances?
My reason for asking is that I've been researching quality blenders after finding so much positive info re. there ability to produce very smooth and nutritious smoothies, soups, peanut butter etc. Being easily schmoozed into making purchases after riveting demos on various shopping channels, I thought I'd do some research and ask a few questions, as there are not cheap.

These blenders are so powerful that flax seeds or other seeds for that matter can be added to fruit/veg smoothies and pulverized into a velvety smooth drink. Apparently, we are unable to digest seeds like flax seeds as there just pass-through our digestive system, but as a powerful blender breaks them down into powder form so the nutritional value is released and absorbed during digestion. Whole fruit can be added too, like the core of a pineapple and pith of an orange, both of which contain more nutrients than the actual fruit itself.
As I'm due to have bypass surgery next year - all being well - and thought a good blender would help with post op. meals as the results would be totally smooth. Also, due to malabsorption associated with the gastric bypass procedure, I hope to maximize my nutritional intake by way of some daily smoothies or protein shakes.

Fortunately, nearly every kitchen gadget I have purchased in the past, I use often but as blenders such as the Vitamix are so expensive, I think I need to do some homework!

I own a kenwood HGB724 which I purchased specifically for after bypass. It cost me £60.00 which I know for a blender is quite expensive, but its extremely powerful and can blend just about anything, including seeds and grains, and the attachments are absolutely great, so well worth the money... Problem is now that I am back onto normal foods, it is not getting used, only for the odd smoothie which is terrible really..
I would advise not to spend too much on a blender that you will probably only use regularly the first 3-4 weeks after bypass....

My plan exactly was to not spend too much on a blender post-op so I bought an Argos value one, I dumped it before being off the purée stage.

Wished I'd spent a bit more In hindsight but glad now that I didn't as food processor does a good job.

After fills I now do liquids and skip the purée stage...... Looks too much like cat food!!!

Thank you amanda577 & ThinnerJemima

I think it would make sense to buy a standard blender first. It will get me through the post op meals and if I develop a deep love for green smoothies, I can always upgrade at a later date.

Note to Self: Always seek a reality check from others before placing an order based solely on shopping channel demonstration.

Sensible thoughts mr97. Agree with you about the puree stage thinnerjemima!! I didn't like it at all, I went to the mashed stage very quickly as couldn't handle the pureed texture very well...

Agree. I very nearly bought a blender, a juicer etc pre op & found I didn't need them. I just used my kitchen Kenwood multichef. Glad I didn't waste my money. I do use my blender attachment on the multichef for smoothies & protein shakes.

I have a Bosch stick blender with a food processor attachment. Apparently it can crush ice for smoothies and its a doddle to clean. With me I think I just love falling in love with gadgets and with a little nudge via shopping channel demos, I quickly convince myself it will change my life. ...Hope this isn't the first sign of shopoholism!

I bought Tesco's own one for £19.99 the other day, it's like a single blender but has a plastic cup to use with it. Haven't tried it yet, and ususally you get what you pay for, but as long as it sees me through the first few weeks I don't mind. x

Ideal World were demonstrating the Bamix stick blender, last night. It's hypnotic watching these chefs and presents creating such healthy delights in seconds. I bet a load end-up on eBay!

My last stick blender was Asda's own and it lasted me years. Sometimes the value models can be quite good, but you are right, generally you do have to pay for quality.
I really like stick blenders as there are so easy to clean. Being able to just dunk it in a pan of soup to blend and a quick blast in the washing-up bowl and you're done. Much more convenient than emptying the soup into a blender and creating extra washing-up.

Cheap n cheerful go through the puree stage, i would say to anyone if you could borrow one then do so, cheaper still xx

I had one before op that I used and I decided to upgrade on the basis that I use it anyway. So my advice would be if you don't use one preop go cheap. If you do, then splash out by all means - mine was also in the 60 region and I use it for all sorts still. Great for marinades :)

I bought a stick blender too. It was half price in Sainsburys. I prefer them to the other types, as they are easier to clean and store.

I have a kenwood "smoothie to go" and its fab, does ice and stuff too, but is really good!

I also have a stick blender which I bought from Argos (its a ready steady cook one) was half price, and is great too, I did have a value one, but it doesn't blend as good as my new one.!

I've had my Vitamix for some time now. I love it and use it pretty much every day. It cooks soup when you run it for 5-10 minutes, the blades are so strong, the friction makes the mixture hot.

I think it's very expensive though, I wouldn't go an buy one myself. My husband impulse-purchased it after a demo we watched and tasted despite my objection! :p He's dairy intolerant and we had been looking for a decent ice cream maker for some time. The Vitamix can make icecream in 28 seconds!

This was before I decided on WLS and to be honest when I heard about the post-op liquid and soft food stages, I thought it will come very handy. Still pre-op, I'll let you know how useful I find it post-op :)

Tobi x

Thank you everyone for making a difficult choice - for me always - a lot easier.
I'm going to stick with what I have at the moment and perhaps splash-out on a decent blender if I become a healthy smoothie type of guy.

Tobi - thanks for your post. Please let me know how you get on with the Vitamix? Apparently, many owners of this blender literally worship the breakfast bar it sits on!

I have a stick blender for small quantities, but bought a KitchenAid blender before my op with some gift vouchers that friends gave me for my birthday. It seems to be very powerful, but I will only really use it when I cook a large quantity of something then blend it prior to freezing it in small quantities.

I've had my Vitamix for some time now. I love it and use it pretty much every day. It cooks soup when you run it for 5-10 minutes, the blades are so strong, the friction makes the mixture hot. I think it's very expensive though, I wouldn't go an buy one myself. My husband impulse-purchased it after a demo we watched and tasted despite my objection! :p He's dairy intolerant and we had been looking for a decent ice cream maker for some time. The Vitamix can make icecream in 28 seconds! This was before I decided on WLS and to be honest when I heard about the post-op liquid and soft food stages, I thought it will come very handy. Still pre-op, I'll let you know how useful I find it post-op :) Tobi x

Hi Tobi
How are you getting on post-op?
Have you found them Vitamix useful?

Hi Tobi
How are you getting on post-op?
Have you found them Vitamix useful?
Hi Bella'sMum. This is quite an old thread and Tobi has not posted anywhere on the site in 2 years. Always worth checking their stats to find out :).

I got a Nutra Ninja rather than spend hundreds. It is pretty powerful at 900w and I can put stuff un-peeled in. Whole strawberries etc I do not notice any grittiness at all if I zap it for long enough, which isn't long at all.
I think these machines have moved on a lot in the last couple of years so it is worth checking out more recent reviews on Amazon etc.
I already had a pretty good liquidiser and a powerful stick blender, so it was a gamble getting the Ninja. I got mine from Costco which have a returns policy like no other ;) Happy with it so far but yet to see how much I will use it post op.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Back