• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hair Loss

scoobie306

I had a gastric band done on 7th May and for the last 2 months my hair has been coming out quite badly. I take multi vits and minerals and eat a more balanced diet than i ever have before. I have thick hair so it is not yet noticable, but if it continues for much longer i think it will start to be obvious. Does anybody know if this is normal following WLS and if it is how long it usually goes on for. I have shoulder length hair and have booked in at hair dressers for thursday to have it cut short and am hoping this may help the problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as it is starting to worry me.

Susie

sorry, i'm pre op but didnt want to read and run. sounds like some kind of vit or mineral deficiency. sure someone on here will know something or ring your provider and ask? xx

It's common during the weight loss phase, but will regrow. Some docs recommend zinc and selenium and some docs recommend kelp, as well as the recommended vits your doc recomments, and all of which can be obtained in a health food store or Boots.

Hello there,

This is a common problem with any rapid weight loss, not just with weightloss surgery.

It's the body's reaction to a drastic drop in nutrition. To the body, the hair is not important so it will be sacrificed.

Once you get to 6 months post op, things usually level out and regrowth occurs.

Hello there,

This is a common problem with any rapid weight loss, not just with weightloss surgery.

It's the body's reaction to a drastic drop in nutrition. To the body, the hair is not important so it will be sacrificed.

Once you get to 6 months post op, things usually level out and regrowth occurs.

Thanks for that post, I knew it was a common problem - although so far I've been ok - but I didn't know why. That makes sense. x x

thanks for responses good for me to know as i go into my op

Hi
At my appoitment only last week ths was mentioned and they recommended zinc or food high in zinc... from memory it was fish (could be wrong)
hope it gets sorted soon x

Hi - sadly all too common a side effect. All to do with putting your bod through trauma. I take Silica everyday and thus far Im ok but Im waiting. Think for bypassers it starts at around 5 months post op. Hair extensions are a wonderful thing!

When i was on a diet and lost 50lbs in 6 weeks my hair was falling out and was very scary, my doc run some bloods and found out i was iron deficient, she gave me iron tabs and also some gel to rub into my hair and within 6 weeks the hair stopped falling out and grew back nicely.
Maybe u could speak to ur doc and poss have a blood test as u could be deficient even though on vits maybe they need altering.
Take care xx

Yes this is normal. I have been lucky enough not to suffer hair loss so far but as soon as I notice it I'm off to the docs. There is something they can give you but I can't remember the name. I'm sure someone will be along with the name shortlyx

This has been happening to me. I take forceval now. I have loads of very thick hair but it is a bit alarming when handfulls of the stuff fall out. Also my nails lkeep on flaking off.

I had a gastric band done on 7th May and for the last 2 months my hair has been coming out quite badly. I take multi vits and minerals and eat a more balanced diet than i ever have before. I have thick hair so it is not yet noticable, but if it continues for much longer i think it will start to be obvious. Does anybody know if this is normal following WLS and if it is how long it usually goes on for. I have shoulder length hair and have booked in at hair dressers for thursday to have it cut short and am hoping this may help the problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as it is starting to worry me.

Susie
yeah im afraid this is a side effect for some people and it will pass in time, cutting your hair will not help the problem as its whats going on at the roots has nothing to do with whats going on at the ends of your hair, so instead of losing long hairs you will just lose short hairs, prob less to remove from the plug hole though lol im low iron and b12 so went though hair thinning myself , when your body catchs up with its self it will be fine x (or thicker should i say lol)

I take solvazinc & selium every morning as a precaution. Apparantly your hair starts to thin 6 months post op due to the trauma side of having your operation. Strawberrys are full of zinc as well. Would you believe that zinc is good for the sex drive!:eek: Well fancy that!!:p G.M

Why am I not surprised that you knew that?! ;)

Lx

LOL GM you always make me smile. On the hair loss subject i was given info to take zinc and selium too but when i went to the chemist and Holland and Barrett with my info they said dosage was 600 times higher than normal dosage and i would be swallowing the whole bottle in one go. Can i ask GM how much are you taking and where did you get them cheers x

Back