• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

PCOS/Excess hair

Sarahmaria

Just wondering if anyone here had PCOS and excess hair growth? My experience is that i had quite bad hair growth prior to surgery - thick hair on chin, mustache area and even cheeks. Was thinking surgery might improve this as it tends to help other pcos symptoms but iv found the opposite. Granted im only 2months out but iv found my hirsutism is worse!! Have now got coarse black hairs on my chest. Boo. :(

I've had PCOS since I was 17/18 and when I had ulcerative colitis and was put on a cocktail of drugs, the hair growth got even worse.

I was then shaving my face every other day because of the hair growth.

After many years of trying to get help through my GP, I have resorted to electrolysis.

The results are amazing - it's the only permanent solution to hair removal and it's working really well.

The downside is the cost. I go once a week for a 45 minute session at a cost of £65.

I can really see it working though so if you can afford it, look for a registered person (the national electrolysis society) I think and give it a go.

Yeah jj prob is early days yet.

Thanks purple! Few people have mentioned electrolysis to me before but iv had laser before which didnt work well so just thought thatd be similar. Might give it a go now!!!

Sm

Xx

Electrolysis is permanent but laser is 'reduction'.
That's why why some hospital fund one but not the other

Just wondering if anyone here had PCOS and excess hair growth? My experience is that i had quite bad hair growth prior to surgery - thick hair on chin, mustache area and even cheeks. Was thinking surgery might improve this as it tends to help other pcos symptoms but iv found the opposite. Granted im only 2months out but iv found my hirsutism is worse!! Have now got coarse black hairs on my chest. Boo. :(

We are all different but I hate to say after losing 122lb my PCOS hair growth patterns and hair loss are WORSE than ever!!

I now have hair on my chest, arms and back, before it was chin, tash, navel and fast growing legs.

The positives are my periods have returned naturally!

I can't have it all though hey!

I presume its because losing weight also causes a hormonal imbalance (still have alot of excess fat).

xx

Thats brilliant your periods are normal helen!Yeah i used to have hair on chin tash navel feet breasts and very fast on legs. Now iv developed it on my upper chest where i never had it before. Ugh so annoying. Guess cant have it all!
I tbink i will try electrolysis when i get the funds up!!

Thanks guys

Sm

Xx

Sorry ladies :( 3 years out, and hirsutism still bad. Only thing that works is ipl for me. Only needs doing once every three weeks though

After I lost all the weight with my band my pcos was pretty much cured as I fell pregnant and got regular periods but the hair never got any better (this was eight yrs ago) there is a cream you can get from the drs which is meant to help but I don't think it does. I'm have laser at the moment (not ipl which is not permenant but y lag laser) you only need six treatments and it can do light and dark hair but it is more expensive. My neck/chin and feet/toes was £480 for six but I have hated it all my life and I felt it was money well spent.

Back