• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hair Loss

Claire bob

Am due to have my op in 2 weeks and have been reading about hair loss afterwards. How bad does this get and does it affect everyone? Bit worried. My hair is the only bit of me that is already skinny!!!!

Really don't worry about it.. I did lose quite a lot of hair from around 4 months post op and it is worrying because you think it will never stop - but it does! Now my hair is back to it's original thickness a year on from my op... So just look at it as a temporary problem that won't last forever - you definately won't end up bald ;)

Phew thanks! good to know it grows back. lost lots of hair after having my daughter was bit worried about losing even more!!

Hi Claire bob, your hair needs protein so that is THE most important thing to keep up before and after your op.
Protein shakes are a good option when you don't or can't eat. try Myprotein who do sample satchets of their Impact Whey Protein before you commit yourself to a huge bag. I found the choc one horrible but the fruit, vanilla and plain ones really good. Molkeprotein | Sportlernahrung | Ergänzungen | Bodybuildingergänzungen | Proteinergänzungen - Myprotein (Deutschland))

Solvazinc is recommended by a lot of sugeons but not prescribed. It is available online and it is recommended you take 3 a day but I only took 1 or 2 a day.

Biotin and Silica Complex are great for hair, nails and general recovery and are highly recommended on US forums - I take 1, sometimes 2 a day and they are available from Puritan's Pride UK site:
Discount Vitamins & Herbal Supplements from Puritan's Pride Puritan United Kingdom
I've seen similar products in Holland & Barret but havn't tried them.

I also use Kerastase Specifique shampoo: Kérastase Spécifique: for specific scalp and hair concerns

I had a few weeks of really wierd fuzzy hair at about 3 or 4 months but apart from that, my hair has been fine.

Remember that what is happening to your hair at the present time is a result ofwhat your body was going through months ago (thats why a lot of hair-loss happens at 4-6 months post-op) so keep your protein and supplements levels high now and through the early post-op stages.

Best of luck with your op. Biggy x

Back