• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

has your band affected your socail/family life?

grom

Slim for 2009
Just wondered if people have any thoughts on how their band has affected dining out/meals with friends/family cooking etc

Has there been a big disruption in family meals? Can you still go out for meals?

I am planning on doing a Fern and telling very few people - but maybe it will be noticeable if I can't eat out anymore?

:confused:

I have been to various family and friends for dinner, I have told everyone about my surgery, I don't see the reason to hide it really.

It makes it easier explaining why you cannot have certain things and a lot less of it.

Also have been out to dinner on a few occasions.

It will only affect social and family life if you let it...:)

when i have good restriction i cook everyone elses meals, and i eat my own menu seprate from the others as they dont like the things i eat now. if i go out for a meal i try to plan ahead and get a menu and decide whats suitable for me b4 going out.

when i have good restriction i cook everyone elses meals, and i eat my own menu seprate from the others as they dont like the things i eat now. if i go out for a meal i try to plan ahead and get a menu and decide whats suitable for me b4 going out.
Thanks Liz - can you eat a proper full meal when you go out?

I think the reason I don't want to announce it is that I have announce so many 'BIG DIETS' in the past only for them not to work. I guess when I have lost some weight I won't mind owning up! 'Owning up' that's what I just wrote and that has made me realise - I feel like I'm CHEATING and should keep slogging away at my WW class!!

OMG there is no hope for me ...........................:eek:

it all depends on how tight the band is to what kinds of foods and quantities can be eaten, i try and look for the choices that come with mash veg and gravy to be on the safe side when im out in public. i order the shepherds pie, or the mince and dumplings with mash but leave the bits i know i cant cope with.
i dont have a starter or a pudding.

I have limited the amount of people that know, the ones that I would dine out with all know so there is no problem there...its a personal choice but I cant see it affecting my life to such a degree that they would need to know. People I work with think I am dieting to lose weight and cure sleep apnea so I have a good cover story. xx

it all depends on how tight the band is to what kinds of foods and quantities can be eaten, i try and look for the choices that come with mash veg and gravy to be on the safe side when im out in public. i order the shepherds pie, or the mince and dumplings with mash but leave the bits i know i cant cope with.
i dont have a starter or a pudding.

Having a pudding might defeat the object ;-)

Good sound advice there. I like mashed food anyway, so would love that! num num num

I managed most of a three course meal last week but just by leaving some of each course - as it was a fixed price regardless of how much i ate that was ok. Normally I just have a main and eat what I can but I do sometimes cheat when i am out and not wait the full 30 mins before I drink to help things down a bit.
The only thing that will stop your social life is you! I told very few people about my band to start with but am more open now - this is something I have to live with lifelong and therefore why not tell people - helps them to understand and on the whole people have reacted well especially now they can see it is working for me. Good luck :)

Up to now I have only told my Mum and best mate, as don't trust anyone else not to blab, and like Grom I am scared of failure having tried so many diets before and failed:cry::cry:

I am keeping shtum too about mine. People around me would judge me! because they are thin and think I need to stop eating so much (like its that black and white!). I cant even tell my mum bcos when i broached the subject she said "your not that vain and careless with your money, just diet". so just me and my partner know. I will prob tell them sometime tho x

I am keeping shtum too about mine. People around me would judge me! because they are thin and think I need to stop eating so much (like its that black and white!). I cant even tell my mum bcos when i broached the subject she said "your not that vain and careless with your money, just diet". so just me and my partner know. I will prob tell them sometime tho x

I think that will be my approach too. Everyone I know knows that I am always trying to lose weight and I have a big holiday booked next year so they won't suspect. When I know I can really succeed I will probably tell the world!!

Is it cheating ? Thats why I dont want to tell people, incase they slag me off behind my back.
But then I am almost 20 stone, I am 5ft 5 and go to the gym most mornings I dont eat badly, just teh wrong choices. i dont really eat chocolate and hate sweets. I love crisps and sandwiches but healthy salads and hams etc...
I try my bloody best but it is either not good enough or this is just ME.
If a band works then great and come on LIFE
x

Is it cheating ? Thats why I dont want to tell people, incase they slag me off behind my back.
But then I am almost 20 stone, I am 5ft 5 and go to the gym most mornings I dont eat badly, just teh wrong choices. i dont really eat chocolate and hate sweets. I love crisps and sandwiches but healthy salads and hams etc...
I try my bloody best but it is either not good enough or this is just ME.
If a band works then great and come on LIFE
x

Entirely agree - also want to be sure that it works before announcing it to the world!!:8855:

Entirely agree - also want to be sure that it works before announcing it to the world!!:8855:
Same here, otherwise I will look like a right plonker:8855::8855::8855:

Trust me.....it works!!!
I went to a Christmas party function this weekend and although have had to have the band slackened as I was vomitting after everything I ate, I had a glass of wine and ending up throwing my starter up...couldnt eat anything for the rest of the meal and felt I had to explain to the Boss, as he was really concerned that I was running back and fore the bathroom every few minutes!!! Ooops!
Normally I am able to eat the smaller quantities, so not sure what happened there!!!

Trust me.....it works!!!
I went to a Christmas party function this weekend and although have had to have the band slackened as I was vomitting after everything I ate, I had a glass of wine and ending up throwing my starter up...couldnt eat anything for the rest of the meal and felt I had to explain to the Boss, as he was really concerned that I was running back and fore the bathroom every few minutes!!! Ooops!
Normally I am able to eat the smaller quantities, so not sure what happened there!!!

Thanks! I think I need to hear more people tell me that it really does work as I have 'failed' at so many other diets I'm really worried that this won't work for me either. I have a BIG birthday and a BIG holiday next year and so want to lose weight for both of them!
xx
:p

If you eat reasonably, you will be fine....if you eat chocolate, crisps and icecream all the time, you will gain weight!!! You can have them now and again, but as my Consultant told me "this isnt a quick fix solution, you have to work at the band", he's the consultant that has been on GMTV (Dr Ashton) and is fantastic.

Back