• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help!

Shiny

Hi there,

I'm considering a gastric band and wondered if people could answer my questions honestly

Did your GP make you try weightloss drugs first (orlistat, reductil)?

I'm thinking of private treatment. has anyone had it done privately (in London) and if so could they recommend anyone?

I've been told you can eat anything once it settles, is this the case i.e bread, staek, drink alchol?

I'm thinking of only telling close friends/ family (mainly because I feel such a failure) is it possible to keep it a secret?

How long did it take to get back to exercising? I have applied to run the marathon next year and wondered if I will be able to train at the intensity required? When did people start exercising again, and doing what?

Thanks

Shona x

Hi Shona
i am having a bypass on 7th Aug and going privately although i did consider the band 1st.However i was told as a sweet/snack eater it would'nt be suitable for me as i could get quite a lot past the band. I have been on orlistat twice and when my GP heard about my surgery he said i could try it again if i wanted. It did'nt work for me. I have found going privately you bypass ( pardon the pun) a lot of the steps people have to go through on the NHS so can't answer for sure but i would'nt think so. There is a lot of banders on here so i'm sure someone will come along very soon with advice xx

Hi there,

I'm considering a gastric band and wondered if people could answer my questions honestly

hi shiny i cant answer all your questions as im a nhs bander but im happy to answer the ones i can.

i was made to try all other options first to qualify for a nhs referal as wls is classed as a last resort for weight loss.

I'm thinking of private treatment. has anyone had it done privately (in London) and if so could they recommend anyone?

i cant help with this Q as im nhs x

I've been told you can eat anything once it settles, is this the case i.e bread, staek, drink alchol?

bread, steak, pasta and rice cause the most problems long term with banders and should be avoided as it challenges the band if eaten or tryed to be eaten.
alcohol can be drunk as before "AS LONG AS ITS NOT GASSY" Banders plumbing is the same as before so the effects are the same as before, but be aware of the high empty calories consumed.

I'm thinking of only telling close friends/ family (mainly because I feel such a failure) is it possible to keep it a secret?

it is possible yes, a little tricky but it can be done.

How long did it take to get back to exercising? I have applied to run the marathon next year and wondered if I will be able to train at the intensity required? When did people start exercising again, and doing what?

walking can be taken up quite soon and they encourage walking asap as the more you walk/move the quicker the recovery, exercise is upped when you feel better to do so.

Thanks

Shona x

liz x

Hi there,

Thanks

Shona x

Hi Shona, I'll try and answer your questions - other people will have had different experiences so you may well get a number of different responses - all valid and you'll have to take from them what you want I think.

1). Tried every diet since I was at secondary school. Lost weight but always gained it again. Yes, Doc tried me on Orlistat. Not very effective at my weight and unpleasant side effects (never knew you could poo bright orange b4 that!)

2). I went private as my NHS area does not fund WLS. I had mine done in Bromsgrove and don't know anything about hospitals in London. There are others here that do. From my final decision to have it done (took years of umming and ahhing), going private took about 5 weeks.

3). With a band there are some things you can't eat. Bread, rice and pasta are all pretty glutinous and will get stuck. I find the only meat I can eat chicken but others have different experiences. I'm not sure about alcohol but it would definitely have to be something that does not have bubbles in.

4). I have told everyone. I am lucky in that I have supportive friends but I know some do not which they find painful. My family also know as I had to borrow money from them.

5). I was able to take my dogs out after about 3 weeks or so. I am now doing 3 sessions of exercise on prescription which is brilliant.

Hope this is of some use - don't hesitate to ask anything you want.

Regards, Jen x

Hi there,

This all depends on your GP and what NICE guidelines they follow, what your starting BMI is and what you PCT will fund. This is if you chose to take the NHS route. Your past attempts at weight loss will count. So if you have tried everything else, they may consider this for you as a last resort but due to the money in the NHS pot, funding is getting harder. They seem to have raised the bar in a lot of areas.

If you go down the private route, you will only need GP referral. There are plenty of peeps on here that have and I am sure some of them will give you recommendations.

There are foods that will always be a no-no. Most surgeons advise to steer clear of bread, pasta, rice and read meat. As these tend to clump together and can block the band. Some people can still tolerate them but most after a period of time and fills can't. Alchol is ok in moderation, as it is empty calories, but plenty of us banders still enjoy a drink. Most have to avoid fizzy drinks. Banding is unique to each person and what one person can tolerate is not neccessarily what another can.

You might need to let one good friend know as you have to have someone with you for 24 hours after you come home and that you cannot drive. It would be best to tell a select few.

Usually 6-8 weeks is the time you can take up good strong excercise, as you should allow yourself plenty of time to heal and not push yourself till you are.

Thanks

Shona x

Back