• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Have made a decision

Muppet

I will have to get a loan for the op as nobody is gonna do it for me for free.

I am not sure of prices so have been doing research.

I have also mailed my surgeon to ask how much to remove the faulty band and implant the new 'free' one from the manufacturer.

Spire, Southampton also said they would give me a discount for any future surgery, so all of those things will have to be taken into account before the final costing is decided.

I realise that this op wont be so straightforward as it was the first time, as the faulty band will have to be removed.

But I had such fantastic care at the Spire that I really have every confidence in them to go back, and also in the surgeon.

My original op in 2005 cost £6000 which included 2 fills (£100) each.

I could have seen the
dietician
if I had wanted to, but as I flew from Manchester down to Southampton, jiggling the times of the flights
didn't
always fit in with appointments.

Any recommendations girls if my surgeons price is over £6000, because I really want one for about £3500, if possible.

Sorry I can't give you advice on this as I'm a bypasser. All I can say is like you I have had to have 2 surgeries, the last one to correct a huge problem with the first one and suffered for 10 years from it till I was able to get the surgery to sort it out.

I was lucky to get both done on the NHS.

I'm sure some one will come along soon and be able to help you

Alia xxx

You sound like you know what you want and thats always half the battle. I cant advise as I had bypass but gather as much info as possible before you make your final decision and the best of luck chick....xx

Thanx girlies for your replies...I have had a reply from Michael Van den Bossche and he says he will mail me the cost of the procedure when he goes back to work in January 2009. So the ball is rolling, I dont really want the surgery done until mid Feb as I've booked a weeks holiday for me and my fella on 1st Feb.

i have also had a band removal/replacement, mine was nhs both times so i dont know what the cost of that would be, the op itself wasnt as bad as i thought it would be, i stayed in hospital for 2 nights, the only difference was that the surgery took longer as it was a removal/replacement. my new band had to be placed lower down due to scaring on the tummy from band no1, but ive found this a good thing as the restriction has been excellent from fill no1. i also was 1st banded in 2005.

good luck

liz x

Thank you WLH :D

Liz, do you mean the port was placed further down hun?

I thought the op would last longer and this does scare me somewhat, and obviously the recovery time is longer too.:cry:

I am a baby I admit it, its such a big thing I cant get my head round it, I think its my age cos I am not a young girl.

Thank you WLH :D

Liz, do you mean the port was placed further down hun?
no the band was placed lower down around the stomach as the 1st band scars the tum so cant directly be placed in the same position.

I thought the op would last longer and this does scare me somewhat, and obviously the recovery time is longer too.:cry:
my removal replacement op was longer in theatre yes as its a double op basically, i was in surgery 3-4 hours, i was fine when i woke up, i felt no worse than after the 1st band op. my recovery time was the same as the 1st band.

I am a baby I admit it, its such a big thing I cant get my head round it, I think its my age cos I am not a young girl.

it was a big thing for me also, i was scarred but honestly i was fine, and the surgeons will take good care of you.

liz x

Thank you chick, I'm sure you are right.

But was it the band placed further down or the port?

Hiya muppet
I am a bypasser, but just wanted to wish you good luck :hug99:
Xxx Lizzie xxX

So sweet, thank you Lizzie xx:D

Thank you chick, I'm sure you are right.

But was it the band placed further down or the port?

the band was placed lower down

Ahh I see Liz.

Good luck with your weight loss chick:D

Good luck with finding what you want and then the surgery.

Thank you hunny

Good luck Muppet, I have been reading your story and really feel sorry for you.
Let me know if you hear of any medical insurance companys that will insure your new band and surgery bill.

Baby Jayne

wondered if you would tell what price he quoted for removal? interested in case i ever need it as I will be self funding
Thanks

Back