• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Having a nightmare time

Willow4

Hope everything works out well for you now, and to say you look amazing, no way you look nearly 50 in Dec.

Sharie65

Thank you for your kind comments but unfortunately the nightmare continues. My husband had an emergency operation yesterday for an incarcerated hernia which is infected! So now we both can't bend, lift, carry, drive etc and we are both under the care of the district nurses who need to change our respective dressings. I've heard of men who come out with sympathy pains when their wives are pregnant but this is taking it too far!!!!

image-2904104554.jpg

Was starting to feel better and even went out to have my hair restyled ( before and after shown in photo). Now worried about how we're both going to cope! Thank god for on-line shopping....................!!!

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

ashleyshouts

Thank you for your kind comments but unfortunately the nightmare continues. My husband had an emergency operation yesterday for an incarcerated hernia which is infected! So now we both can't bend, lift, carry, drive etc and we are both under the care of the district nurses who need to change our respective dressings. I've heard of men who come out with sympathy pains when their wives are pregnant but this is taking it too far!!!!

View attachment 17110

Was starting to feel better and even went out to have my hair restyled ( before and after shown in photo). Now worried about how we're both going to cope! Thank god for on-line shopping....................!!!

Sharie65, sorry to hear that. Hope both of you are doing fine. The first few weeks were really painful, and I couldn't move around much. Been ok so far- I've been very careful since. I use hernia belts all the time, and take special care not to do stressful work that causes pressure in my abdomen.

Just make sure that your husband stays clear of an infection and avoids pressure in that area. Both of you’ll be fine in a jiffy! :)

P.S. I adore your hair.

Last edited:

valentine

Feel so sorry for your continued bad luck health wise..
However you do look fab in your pics x x x

Sharie65

I now need to eat a huge portion of humble pie! Today, 8 weeks post-op, I had a hospital appointment with my consultant. It appears I have been very unlucky. The 2nd opinion has come back and I have had cancer of the appendix which is extremely rare. This caused the intussusception of my bowels resulting in my appendix ( cancerous mass as it was unrecognisable as an appendix) and most of my colon being removed. There is no link to my bypass. Nor was it caused by lifestyle, diet, alcohol etc just plain bad luck! He told me he only sees about 2 patients every 10 years with appendiceal cancer. I need to have a CT scan pronto to check it hasn't spread or is lurking elsewhere, and then they need to keep a close eye on me. I will need a CT scan every 6 months. There is a chance that mucins from the appendix mucocele may have spread like spores and embedded in my abdominal wall ready to turn into cancer.
The operation to remove my bowels was complicated by the bypass, especially the adhesions that had formed and meant my bowels were stuck to my stomach BUT the bypass played no part in what happened to me. It would have happened regardless of bypass being there or not. The chances of cancer coming back is 5%. I now have no confidence in statistics as I haven't been very lucky with them in the past!
I am pretty shocked by all this as you can imagine.
To console myself, I went into a monsoon store in Swindon retail outlet and bought myself another size 14 dress for only a tenner! Brightened up a crap day! Have lost 2 stone now since op and am down to 12stone 8lbs. Consultant said rapid weight loss was associated with this type of major operation and said well done! Also said he advises 12-14 weeks recovery as I told him I was very fatigued and lacked energy. He said it was to be expected.
Hubbie is 2 weeks post-op after an umbilical hernia op. His dressings are being changed by my district nurse and he has had his staples out this week. Says he is still very sore and been told not to lift, bend, stretch etc for another 6 weeks. Difficult for a builder !
Am supposed to be going to Majorca next week but it will be touch and go whether my wound will heal in time. Really want to go swimming but everyone is advising me not to if wound has not closed completely. Have had to disclose my medical conditions to obtain holiday insurance.
So that's it really! Don't let me put you off a bypass! This would have happened to me regardless. I have just been very unlucky but as the consultant said today " someone must have been looking down on you because most appendiceal cancers go undetected until it's too late"!!!!! PERHAPS THE BYPASS Helped me in the end!!!

image-2372764286.jpg
Not going to look good in a bikini !!!!!

Kar8858

I'm really sorry to hear about this! My previous partner had this cancer, his appendix burst sending the spores all over his cavity, needless to say it wasn't a good outcome, you are very lucky they have found it before. Fingers crossed for you and any further treatment ! X

SerenityValley

Happy in the meantime
Oh bless you <hugs>. Hope everything works out for you now that they know what has caused these problems!

~Alison~

Hi Sherie, so sorry that you have had this happen, hope you are on the mend and try to enjoy your holiday. xx

sundown

Wow, sorry to hear you've had such bad luck - but it's a good job it was found in time! All the best for your recovery