• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Health probs 11 months on

Personally I think its the combination of protein and exercise that prevents muscle wastage. I always had a high protein diet since surgery, but have been unable to exercise due to a combination of health problems.

Too true Shell. I also think that when we do do exercise, because we are trying to lose weight we go for cardio vascular exercises to boost the weight loss, when strengthening exercises are just as important.

And never mind the health problems, you have a baby and I am pretty sure no time for exercise!

Rx

Rose, I'm so sorry you're having these problems. I do hope it gets sorted for you fast.

I've been thinking about the whole muscle wastage thing a lot, since I have fibromyalgia/M.E and I KNOW I have lots of muscle wastage already. I'm pretty sure that's why I have such horrendous back pain.

Would swimming help with the core strength/muscle building?

I ask for you and for myself, as for me conventional exercise is out until a significant amount of weight comes off.

Also...re: the protein....how easy (or not) is it to get enough protein into the diet post-op without resorting to protein shakes?
My dietician doesn't like protein shakes and doesn't normally advise them.

I am the wrong person to ask, I know I don't get enough protein in my diet.

I *try* to have eggs for breakfast, cheese for lunch and quorn/tofu for tea, but as a vegetarian I really struggle. I can imagine it would be MUCH easier if you ate chicken and fish. I think some people struggle with tollerating them post op, and that could cause a problem.

I think swimming is good all round exercise so I am sure it would be fine. It hurts my back at the moment however, but I am going to try again in a few weeks.

Believe me, if I could tollerate the protein shakes, I would be having them, I am just the fussiest person ever and anything vaguely creamy or milky makes me sick. I wouldn't write them off though, as they can be crucial for some people in maintaining health. I do have the occassional high protein bar, particularly in a morning to get me going.

Rx

Swimming is a great exercise, and the only one that would be good for me, however I have skin problems that write that one off too :rolleyes: Fibro is one of my problems as well ;)

My dietician didn't go for protein shakes either, however I did my own research and came to my own conclusions, and when I transferred hospitals during the pregnancy the new dietician was all for them. They were a lifesaver for me during the losing stage.

Thanks for the advice from both of you, Rose and Shel.

I do eat meat and fish but having just read the pre-op thread on protein supplements, I think I'm going to invest in some.

When I spoke to the dietician she said 6 portions (ie 6 oz) of protein a day is fine...but I can see that in the first months at least, eating that amount isn't going to be easy.

I was just checking out tofu on google.

It's not something I've eaten before but sounds like it might work well added to soups?

Have you tried it?

I wonder why none of us are told about this pre op, i thought i had researched everything i needed to know about bariatric ops, and my bariatric nurse still told me things i didnt know, but nothing was ever mentioned about high protein diets, muscle wastage and hypos (although i knew about dumping)
Can you develop hypoglicema (sorry cant spell it) even though you are not diabetic?

Yep, its reactive hypoglycaemia and I wasn't diabetic, although mine was aggravated by the pregnancy and I rarely get an attack these days (although saying that I had one this afternoon!)

o dero!!! so many things to make sure we know hey! i learn more and more every day x

o dero!!! so many things to make sure we know hey! i learn more and more every day x

Another reason why this forum is so wonderful Kelly! I've exercised since after by 6 week post op checkup and because I was so concerned with my bingo wings have done lots of weights with the added bonus that not only has it helped my arms but it's also given me a core strength (I also do Pilates now as another core strength facilitator) so have got better muscle quality than I had before, was worried about muscle wastage from the get go. I was quite fit before the op as I'd already lost 2.5 stones and was going to the gym regularly but now my resting heart rate is 52 which my GP was very impressed with and classed as athletic.

I have a chronic back problem - injured it nursing in 1983.

According to one surgeon I saw I have the worst connective tissue he'd ever seen.

I could write a book on back exercises!!

As part of my treatment they put a plaster jacket on me for 6 weeks, then I wore it during the day for 6 weeks - ended up as an inpatient for physio cos my back muscles were so weak!! More exercises.

Since I've lost 13 st. the definition in my back muscles is very marked - my stomach muscles are still weak though.

Since the new knees I couldn't get down on the floor to do back exercises and I was told they should NEVER be done on the bed! ;)

As a DS I need 100 gm protein a day - and don't use protein shakes - if I really need to (like when in hospital) I've used Atkins shakes and I bought a Rhubarb protein drink from Amazon. I have protein 5 x day whether meat/fish/cheese and/or milk/yoghurt.

I thought a RNY needed at least 60gm daily to absorb the 45gm needed for protein requirements in the body ie muscle repair.

Hope the Pilates works - my backs been a pain today (read the thread about language and that isnt the word I wanted - the one I wanted began with S) - grrr

Love Angela xx

Last edited:
Back