• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Update on disappointment

Fuffs

Shrinking Big Brummie
I have been the emailing queen! lol

I emailed South Birmingham PCT last night. Today they emailed me back to tell me to email PALS. So I have done that to ask if there really has been a criteria change.

I then emailed my consultants secretary. She has been great. She told me to contact my GP's to find out if funding was applied for and granted. The GP's said the hospital should have the answer to that. They then said to wait two weeks for a letter to come from weight managment to them. Then make an appointment with my referring gp to see if he referred applied for funding.

I then emailed the secretary back and she says that if the hospital apply, it is the surgeon who applies after being told by one of the weight management doctors that the patient is a suitable candidate.

She said if I have not met the surgeon yet, it is likely funding was not applied for :(

All I was told by a doctor in March last year is lose 7lbs and you can have your surgery.

So now the secretary has requested my notes from weight management, so the consultant can look through them and see if my funding has been granted.

This is causing me sooooo much stress!

wow thats a lot for you to take in on one morning, well done with being pro-active tho, i'm going through a similar situation, lost faxes,forms not fully filled in,funding put on hold,everyone's on leave etc etc so i really no how your feeling on this, its so simple why does it have to be drawn out like it is, it should have been "lost 7lb and you can have surgery" your surgeon applies funding, pct see's a "medical proffestional say's yes" pct release funding and you get your wls xxxxxxxx its so so stressful and makes you feel like your "bugging" pen pushers all the time x i really hope you had been granted your funding, if not then fight in court, thats not fair to start switching whilst you was losing weight doing as your surgeon told you in preperation for the surgery xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :flowers:

Thank you so much. It is really hard. Sounds like you have been through loads too.

It should be really simple. Yet we are left with it being sooo stressful! I will fight it, as it wont be my fault they did not apply, as figured I was suitable from 'lose 7lbs and you can have your surgery' I lost over a stone and nothing....admin errors and bad communication and here I am losing weight again, but being told I am no longer eligible! It sucks!

Just had another email from the weight management co-ordinator to tell me my first appointment with a physician was the one I saw Tues, meaning funding would not be in place!

I have seen two physicians. One in March 2010 and one in July!!

My stress levels rise a bit more lol

omg they are they taking the ---- now!, its so shamefull on their part that they cant even push that pen around (which their paid to do, for smooth nhs running) and make the right choice and its you/us that suffer the back draft of their inability to manage doing their job properly, i'm so sorry to hear this news i was hoping for a better outcome, i think your more than entitled now to make an official complaint when the :hitthefan:i bet there will be some panicky pen pushers, you really need to kick them up the back side for what they've put you through! its not right and its not fair xxx all the best sweets xxx

Thanks chick :(

Just got this email and am more than devastated.

'I’ve now found out what the new Pan-Birmingham PCTBariatric Surgery criteria is:

BMI of 50+ with obstructive sleep apnoea and/or hypertension
BMI of 45+ with diabetes
5-10% weight loss and maintenance

In order for the PCT to consider your application you must fallinto one of the BMI criteria plus show 5-10% weight loss & maintenance.

I have also checked with the Bariatric MDT Co-ordinator and anapplication has not been sent from Birmingham Heartlands Hospital.'

I am gutted! They failed to make the appointment when the consultant requested it for ASAP last August, and now I suffer :(

I just don't know what to do anymore! Looks like I will have to do it without surgery :(

Fuffs what is your bmi?do you have high blood pressure or even raised?Will your gp put you on tablets for b.p?
My weight management doc insisted I go on meds for bp even though it was only slightly raised.I think he did this to ensure I had plenty of problems to go to panel with.I was only 18st with nothing else wrong with me except hernia and a prolapse,he applied under 'the exceptional rules'his words.He applied for funding after I had been at weight management for 18 months.He applied last Feb,granted June and I got my op this Feb!Unless they are really tightening up you may get it if you have high bp.or something else under special rules.My doc said he would get me the funding and he did god bless his cotton socks.I didnt see a surgeon till Feb this year two weeks before surgery!

My is about 46.2. I am being referred for a sleep test. No one has checked my blood pressure recently. I will get it checked.

Tried to make an appointment with my referring GP today with no luck. Will see what the weight management Dr can do next time I see him. He is the one who is referring me for the the sleep test. So he seems like he is on my side, as he is trying to gather evidence :)

Crazy I went through the same thing,put on weight is the only thing I can think of.I was encouraged by my wm doc once I had prooved I could lose weight but not keep it off,to not lose any more weight!

I am worried I will get to a weight where I will not even be considered lol....I will have to maintain soon.

It's ridiculous. I had to deliberately not lose any weight for 9 months until they'd applied for funding. We shouldn't have to hope for a comorbidity to get the surgery. My surgeon said he'd much rather operate on people like me who were still reasonably healthy because the outcome would be better, than wait another 5 years and operate once I was diabetic or had sleep apnoea etc.

When you would assume prevention is better than cure. So still help people with co morbs without a doubt. But also help people with a proven trak record of trying to get rid of the weight. It really sucks!!

hi just reading through the posts andi am going through something similar. my hospital forgot to send an email and so my funding was not applied for before xmas and it has only been done two weeks ago! at the moment my pct is joining with others so i am so frightened they will changed the goal posts and i will be left high and dry. although i have a high bmi i do not have any other health problems at the moment! surely it makes sense to operate on us when we are in a healthier position to recover! madness. you have to put on more weight to get the help you need!! good luck. hope you can fight it xx

It is madness! I really hope you manage to sneak in before any changes! :)

Please let me know how you get on. We have to gee on each other in this game of funding!

sounds so dffrent 2 up here,i was referred by doc,attended a seminar,was given a weight lose target which i did then got a call 6 months later 2 say we can do ur opp in 3 weeks.this all took 18 mths from start 2 finish so after reading yor posts fuff i relize how lucky i have been.hope u get it all sorted soon xx

Sounds a much better way for them to do it :)

And thanks :)

hi x have you had anymore news?

how are you getting on? hope your okay and cracking the whip xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have been told cant see my consultant again as was promised without transferring from their community weight management clinic. Not even for a one off. So I am seeing a consultant at the clinic 28th June.

I lost another 5pm this week. I refuse to not lose this weight. I know it will mean no op if I lose much more. But cant rely on a system that would let me down. I am 30 end of November. Want to have shifted a good chunk by then. If I wait for my pct, it won't happen.

This situation has angered me spool much, that it has been the biggest push I have had in years to lose this extra fat person I carry lol

Hey you, was just thinking bout u!!!
Hope all goes well next mth. It a bummer havin to wait thou!
Sorry hun xxx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Back