• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Heartburn...maybe?

Cat321

Shrinking
Hi

I've been waking up these past few nights with a terrible, almost stabbing pain in the back of my chest and finding it difficult to take proper breaths. Last night it was really painful - thought my lungs or heart had given up the ghost!!

I made a doctors appointment for this morning and everything is fine (quite healthy actually - who would have thought I'd have the doctor telling me I was healthy 12 months ago!!) and his only suggestion was maybe heartburn.

I've read up about it on the internet but not sure if my symptoms sound the same so just looking for others who maybe suffer with it for some advice? I'm going to get some gaviscon to take before bed just in case as I never want to have this pain ever again! :cry:

Thanks guys x

Were you told to take an antacid post-op? I was told to take one for life, I take Lansoprazole 30mg daily. As for it being heartburn I would think it was highly unlikely since your pouch does not produce gastric juices so where would the acid be coming from? You larger second stomach produces acid but it only flows downward to your intestines because of the staple line. Do you feel acidic when you get the pain (burping, presure in your pouch)? You might want to check with your surgical team.

Nic;)

If it carries on though, get it checked out further.

Ask for an upper GI check if it does, don't be fobbed off, as there is a possible complication to a bypass that can occur about a year out.

A girl called massageGoddess on You Tube got it and it can lead to serious problems.

We are not like normal people, we have been rewired and plumbed, sometimes unknown things can happen. Doctors aren't always aware of what can happen.

I am not trying to scare you, just be safe.

Hi there

You have already been given some sound advice...But just a thought...It could be your gallbladder...so do check it all out.

(((hugs)))

i had pains like that and was told it was heartburn but the pain almost felt like i was going to have an heart attack , whilst iv been having my pre op test they found i had heliobactor which one of many of the side effects is this terrible stabbing pain across the back and in the chest . Dont know if you had this test done but iv been told it can come back even after treatment give it a look up might shine some light on it.

hiya

I had pains like this about 3 weeks ago and Ive not even had my op !. Started about 8 I thought it was heartburn and I was burping a lot so assumed it was that. Went to bed about midnight and got up an hour later. :cry: I thought I was having a heart attack. I couldnt get my breath I couldnt lay down as it hurt, my ol' faithful hotwater bottle, the cure for everything, wasnt working and I just felt weak. I ended up phoning NHSdirect I was so scared. I had been throwing up a couple of times though so that wasnt helping.
NHSdirect sent paramedics to me, i had an ECG and hundreds of sticy nodes put everywhere lol. Nothing wrong with my heart, but to top it all it eased off as they were finishing. I had painful ribs and backache for 2 days after. diagnosis doc ? severe heartburn :(

Hi
Thanks everyone for the advice. My computer has been playing up so didn't even realise this message had actually posted!
Not had the pain since..but am seeing my surgeon on Tuesday so will bring it up then.
Nic - came off antacid at approx. 6 months as recommended by my surgeon. Also my GP is aware of my bypass but said that heartburn could be a possibility. I'm going to stick to the heartburn 'rules' for now anyway and see what my fabulous surgeon says on Tuesday...I can't wait to see him again lol!!

Hiya hun - Im currently on heartburn meds like phatgirl, as im only 3 months post op I am on 60grms a day and will be on at least 30grm for life, so maybe you need to check with your surgical team...as for pain - get it double checked x

Back