• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello :)

nat21luv

Hello everyone,

I'm Nat, I'm 29 (only for a few more days!) and I'm hugely overweight.

I stumbled across this forum as I did a google search to see if I was too fat to fly and an old thread from the forum popped up. I've been reading through the threads and its so motivational! The pictures are incredible! I've been debating whether I should see my doctor for a while now but my confidence is non existent and I'm scared of rejection. I know there's no NHS funding in my area so I'd be relying on my BMI of 42.6 and PCOS diagnosis to even allow the subject to be discussed. But after reading this forum, I'm going to get an appt with my doctor this week to talk about it.

And yes, I'm probably too fat to fly :D

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Nothing to lose by going to your doctor, good luck.

Hello everyone, I'm Nat, I'm 29 (only for a few more days!) and I'm hugely overweight. I stumbled across this forum as I did a google search to see if I was too fat to fly and an old thread from the forum popped up. I've been reading through the threads and its so motivational! The pictures are incredible! I've been debating whether I should see my doctor for a while now but my confidence is non existent and I'm scared of rejection. I know there's no NHS funding in my area so I'd be relying on my BMI of 42.6 and PCOS diagnosis to even allow the subject to be discussed. But after reading this forum, I'm going to get an appt with my doctor this week to talk about it. And yes, I'm probably too fat to fly :D
best of luck, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain X

Hello and welcome newbie!
There is never any harm in at least having a conversation with your gp they may know the way around the systems a bit more than we do
good luck and keep us posted

Hi Nat !

It's going to be a long road , that we know , but you have to start your fight somewhere , sometime , before you get another 5 years down the line and you look back and realise that you hidden and bluffed your way through every day life situations .
I've spent over 25 years now being morbidly obese and I've wasted those years , I now realise , by living half a life almost . To fat to go on rides with my kids , to fat to join in with the horse riding , not wanting to walk them right up to the school gates because of that fabulous group of yummy mummies that are always there ..
My surgery also would not entertain WLS , and I asked and asked for over 2 years but could not get even a decent conversation from my doctors .
So I had to go the private route and it's so quick and stress free .. If you can raise £6,000 you can be in within 8 weeks ..
I'm having a gastric band fitted on Tuesday and I can't wait ..
If you cannot self fund then fight hell for leather to be listened to , which I wish I had ..
Good luck Hun and keep us posted
Mindy
Xxxx

Same here, we had horses for 15 years but I couldn't ride them :( I did most theme park rides but couldn't breath lol! I am more confident but still not all that confident in a group, I'm working on it x

It is always worth speaking to your GP...mine was incredibly supportive, but my local hospital has its own criteria which is higher than NICE. In the end I went to Belgium for my surgery, however, my GP has willingly provided all my meds and supplements since my surgery and does my blood tests.

I was almost 60 when I had my surgery...I so wish I had done it sooner

Best of luck

Lynn x

Hi Nat,

Best of luck on your journey. I was accepted by the NHS but it word of been a very long wait. Somehow we've managed to save the funds. After years of slimming clubs, losing weight and piling it on I've come to the conclusion that wls is the answer for me.
I'm in chronic pain with weight related issues and I have a girl of 7 years that I want to enjoy some adventures with!

Hope your doc app goes well. I'm not sure if you have change point in your area? If so you can make a self referral. That was my route in x x x

Hi Nat and welcome to the board, their a friendly lot on here and its great for support and advice.

My GP wouldnt entertain referring me either so I went the private route.

Please don't give up with your GP and best of luck x

Hello all and thanks for the kind welcome :)

I went to the doctors today and broached the subject. He weighed me, asked what I've done to lose weight myself, what my diet is like and then said "Im sorry, we dont have the funding for cases like yours" by which he means cosmetic rather than medical grounds. I've inquired at my local private hospital that luckily does WLS so I'm waiting on brochures to be sent out. I've done masses of research and the gastric bypass seems like the best solution for me. I'll be paying for it myself out of my house deposit fund, it'll set me back 10 months but I dont care, I need my life back.

Im not telling my family. My mum and step dad are big and would try to talk me out of it. I'm about 5 mins car drive away from the clinic so my neighbour and friend would help me out with anything I needed.

Im really looking forward to this!

Good girl Nat ! I totally agree with what your doing , you will soon replace that money and by the time you have you will be awesome !
My BMI is over 50 and I've chosen the band like I've said , only because that's what I could afford , but the surgeon said the band works well for all patients , so I was relived ..
I'm so pleased for you !
Keep us updated
Mindy
Xxx

Hello all and thanks for the kind welcome :) I went to the doctors today and broached the subject. He weighed me, asked what I've done to lose weight myself, what my diet is like and then said "Im sorry, we dont have the funding for cases like yours" by which he means cosmetic rather than medical grounds. I've inquired at my local private hospital that luckily does WLS so I'm waiting on brochures to be sent out. I've done masses of research and the gastric bypass seems like the best solution for me. I'll be paying for it myself out of my house deposit fund, it'll set me back 10 months but I dont care, I need my life back. Im not telling my family. My mum and step dad are big and would try to talk me out of it. I'm about 5 mins car drive away from the clinic so my neighbour and friend would help me out with anything I needed. Im really looking forward to this!
you are doing the right thing, good luck and at least it will be quick if your private X

Hi Nat,

All sounds very positive...well done you!

I also come from a big family. My dad had a bypass 14 years ago. It is the best thing he ever did. He literally is a new man!

All the best with your journey and keep us posted!

Hello Nat and welcome my Dr wouldn't entertain me either said I simply was not a priority so I went private and had bypass. You are doing the right thing but keep focusing on why you are doing it and certainly don't have any regrets xx

Its funny how doctors can differ so much around the country.

Thank's all for your replies, Im so excited for it I cant sleep, I just keep thinking how much my life will change and Im so ready for it. I've always been a chubby child, lost weight at 16 to a size 10-12, met a boyfriend who was abusive and called me unsavoury names so my weight crept up to size 14-16, I was single for a while and met a new guy who was a wolf in sheep's clothing, we were engaged and i fell pregnant. He became abuse too and again, his words hurt more than his hands. I left him and I've been single for 5 years, now turning 30 and a size 20-22, if Im honest with myself. I've worked on me in this time and I realise I put the weight on to keep men away but Im ready to lose it now. The thing is, Ive now got PCOS and vegan so struggle immensely to lose weight when my body hates carbs but a vegan diet is carb heavy.

Im ready to be free from my armour, Im ready to love and be loved, Im ready to see the world outside these four walls :)

Hi Nat. Welcome to WLS. I was very fortunate to have an amazing GP who immediately referred me to Tier 3. That was 15 months ago and today I got the long awaited phone call and am being sleeved on 28th April. I wish you lots of luck with your journey. I have to say it's making me very cross to hear of a postcode lottery and unsympathetic GP's. Is it worth changing your practice to one with a GP who will understand your struggle? I'm so sorry to hear about the way you were treated. I wish you all the best with your next step.

Welcome Nat, totally support your approach and like your positivity. Looking forward to hear of your journey xx

I started this thread 2 years ago but sadly nothing came of it: I talked myself out of surgery and have spent the last 2 years hiding away and yo-yo dieting.

Well I’m pleased to say I finally took the initiative and have gone private- I’m currently day 9 into a 18 day LRD. My bypass is 13th March and I’m so excited!

I’m going to read through the forum and catch up. I can’t believe I left it this long

Back