• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi all, I'm new!

Laura-1

Hi everyone, I've been reading on here for a few weeks now but have just joined. I'm being banded in two days and am so so excited but my 2 week pre op diet hasn't exactly gone swimmingly! I've not been too bad and had lost 7lbs when I had a sneaky peek on the scales yesterday but, even though I'm almost there, this diet is driving me mad!!! Plus I feel awful because I've been reading how some of you have done really well on the milk or liquid diet and I've been struggling with eggs/chicken/salad and vegetables! I literally can't stand the sight of salad now and the thought of another egg is almost pushing me over the edge!

Anyway, I wondered if I ate carbs tonight with my chicken if I'd be blowing things for Tuesday? Will it be apparent that I've eaten carbs so close to surgery (liver wise) as I've done so well avoiding them for almost 2 weeks?! Should I just get a grip and pull myself together?

Any help would be hugely appreciated! Thanks

Hi Laura and welcome to the site. I can't comment on your pre-op diet as each hospital/provider seems to give their patients a different diet (for example I have the choice to do a low carb diet). Good luck on your journey anyway - only two days to go! :)

Hi Laura and welcome. I would stay with what your provider had said. Two more days isn't too long ... And you have to be prepared to follow the rules anyway, to get the best out of your new tool for the rest of your life :) good luck with your op

if you can't stick and work with a pre op diet for a short space of time it doesn't bode well for a surgery method which takes an awful lot of self control and willpower after the band is in place and where your eating habits will need to change for life!

The pre op is to prepare your liver for surgery, but if you want to take the risk of surgery not going ahead or that it may not happen laparoscopically then carb away. I don't understand why you would want to take that risk for the sake of a few days, but you'll be liquids only post op and its important for the band and you that you follow the guidelines or else this isn't a good option for you, the band takes an awful lot of hard work when it's in place, I would perhaps be even reconsidering if I couldn't follow a short time pre-op!

Hang in there

I'm with top cat to a certain extent. It was drummed into me how important the pre op diet was to get my liver shrunk and out of the way. If your liver is still big and wet, you apparently run the risk of damage to it, having to have open surgery or not going ahead. One of the reasons I discounted the band was because of the potentially bad consequences if you were tempted into cheating. I am just over two weeks in and have surprised myself with how easy it's been to stick 100% to the rules both pre op and post op but that might change in the future....................I hope not. try your very best because this is a last chance salloon for most people. Good luck.

Hello,

Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind, stick with it kiddo, don't give up, everyone is right, if ur liver hasn't shrunk then they may have to open u up, is it really worth it? Be strong x

Hi and welcome to the group xx

Just wanted to wish you well for your surgery - I hope you managed to hang in there with the diet :)

:grouphugg:

1 week post op and a big thank you!

Hi all,.. thanks to everyone who told me exactly what I needed to hear just before my op - I didn't give in and eat carbs and travelled down to Bradford on Monday 11th ready for my op on Tuesday.

All went really well (what a relief) and I came home the next day. It's been a bit sore but is so much better now and I almost laughed when I weighed myself to find I've lost 13lbs in the last week!

Am doing great on the liquid diet and not struggling at all although I'm quite looking forward to chewing again, but I guess I'll just have to wait! I have had a bit of discomfort in my upper back but it just feels like trapped wind and I was lucky not to feel bad with it immediately post op.

Can I ask you guys who were banded how long you were to wear your support stockings for? Is it a few weeks? Im pretty active and am constantly moving around but I suspect I've still got a week or two of these things to go.

Anyway thanks again to everyone who replied initially. Here's to a slimmer future!

Hola, were u at the Yorkshire clinic or at Bradford Royal Hospital?

I wore my stockings for 3 weeks even tho i was active, and was injecting myself to thin my blood for a week after surgery... bt then again i had the gastric bypass, banders may not be going through all that lol

Hi Bubbly74, I was at the Yorkshire Clinic. Yeah I had my last injection today so at least that's out the way now!
Must say I'm a bit bored of soup already (though it's not something I've ever particularly enjoyed) and am looking forward to the pureed and soft stages! My children's dinners have never seemed so appealing lol!

Lol, i had mine at the Yorkshire Clinic too, was nice and peaceful....came home 2 days later, luckily i only live 5 mins away, would have popped in to see you with some home made soup x

Back