• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi Guys, please help a complete newby!

Dizzarella

Hi Everyone

I’m totally new to forums and WLS in general, this is my first ever message.

I have made the decision to have WLS after a long struggle with my weight and fertility.

I have my date for my Roux en y Gastric Bypass 10th August 2013.
I am frankly petrified, I have been reading as much information as I can (including this WLS forum) I have bought a book (The Emotional First Aid Kit: A Practical Guide to Life After Bariatric Surgery, Second Edition).

I guess the thing which I am most scared about is how much pain I will be in after the surgery and how much my life is going to change and will it be for the better?

I’m confused about what I will be able to eat after the surgery and how ‘normal ‘ my life can be post surgery.

I would really appreciate comments from everyone especially people who are 1-2 months post op to give me more of an idea of what to expect.

Thanks Guys.
Dizz :wave_cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome :) I'm more than a couple of months post op, but I can assure you that although the first month is usually hard eventually life goes back to normal ;)

Hi.

I'm just over 4 months out. I've been out with friends for meals and coffees etc with no 'obvious' difference to them. OK, no puds for me but I don't miss them.

I can do more physically than I could before and that can only get more and more.

I've not read that book but there are a couple if ladies on here that swear by it xx

Hi
I'm only 1 week out, but from my experience of the same op as your having is " no pain what so ever, slight discomfort with trapped wind, but that went after 3 days ".
i'm eating half to 3 quarters on a tin of soup a day & less than half of yogurt plus 1 pint of milk with added dried milk for protein.
Any questions i'll be glad to answer or if i cant other longer term bypassers will no doubt
good luck on
Mark

Hi welcome and good luck on your journey. I'm still pre op but I'm having a bypass on Thursday..... I read 'cut down to size' to help prepare for my surgery. A very good read but it is a bit pricey.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

:) Thanks Everyone for your kind messages, I just feel like a huge weight (pardon the pun) has been lifted off my shoulders knowing that I can come here for help.
All of my friends have never had a weight problem so it's very hard to discuss this with them.

Please would anyone be able to advise if there is some kind of food idea/recipe book they have bought that has helped them in the first few weeks post surgery.

I'm very grateful for all your comments.

Cheers Guys. xxxx

I can't help you much with your questions as I am still in the evaluation/pre-op stage, but just wanted to say welcome and good luck on your journey!

Hi Dizzarella, like Yvessa I am quite a way out following my RNY in Jan 2012, but aside from initial probs in the hospital (I always react badly to anaesthetic, plus they didn't put the cannula in a vein so my arm filled up with saline overnight) I didn't have any pain or trapped wind - releasing wind has always been very easy for me!! It was amazing.
I read the WLS for Dummies book, interesting for all stages.
Your provider/dietician will give you guidelines about food, but your pouch will decide what it will tolerate - and that can change. Just make sure you follow the guidelines and always think protein first (milk will become your best friend)

There is a bariatric cookery site and books, which I am sure will come up if you google it. There are also a few people here who post their menus. Do you know anyone going in at the same time? Might be good to have a buddy to bounce things off - plus lots of helpful people here. Just remember your surgery, recovery and tolerances will be unique, don't worry x

Hi Everyone

I'm totally new to forums and WLS in general, this is my first ever message.

I have made the decision to have WLS after a long struggle with my weight and fertility.

I have my date for my Roux en y Gastric Bypass 10th August 2013.
I am frankly petrified, I have been reading as much information as I can (including this WLS forum) I have bought a book (The Emotional First Aid Kit: A Practical Guide to Life After Bariatric Surgery, Second Edition).

I guess the thing which I am most scared about is how much pain I will be in after the surgery and how much my life is going to change and will it be for the better?

I'm confused about what I will be able to eat after the surgery and how 'normal ' my life can be post surgery.

I would really appreciate comments from everyone especially people who are 1-2 months post op to give me more of an idea of what to expect.

Thanks Guys.
Dizz :wave_cry:

I can't comment personally as I too am pre-op however I have that has had a sleeve and another that has has a bypass and they both eat normal, real foods - including chocolate, meals out etc. that is what has made me go for the surgery - I thought I would be on smoothies for the rest of my life but thanks to my friends I can see it is going to be normal - just a lot less of it

Hi dizz and welcome to the forum. I am also pre op but looking at getting my bypass around the same time as yours. I've not yet got my date but have been told by surgeon it will be early /mid August. Good luck on your journey hun x

Hi Dizz, hello and good luck. I have my appt tomorrow and should hopefully get a date, I am still torn between gastric sleeve and bypass. Will look forward to reading your posts. X

just wanted to wish you luck on your journey

Thanks Guys, your reassurance. I'm starting to calm down a bit. Perhaps even look forward to it?
I plucked up the courage to weight myself today.... Eeek!
Good luck to other newbies too, we've all got each other here! (sounds cheesy but true).
xxx

Back