• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi

midnight-star

Wanted to say hi

I am waiting for by-pass at Walsall. I was referred in Jan but Walsall said they hadn't received the referral and it was April before I was seen, and I got placed on the waiting list the begining of May and was told the waiting list was 4 months. But learnt today that there is a considerable waiting list and I will be in for a long wait :cry:

Feeling very low at the moment and can't see the light at the end of this very dark tunnel.

Sue

Hi Sue and welcome to the site.

I'm sorry to hear of your disappointment and frustration. It's strange how often referrals get 'lost'!
Have you asked how long the waiting list is? You need a definitive answer from someone on your team. You can always ring your surgeon's secretary to find out. Then at least you will know what time scale you're looking at and have a potential date to work towards.

The waiting is horrible. I waited 18 months in total with a few 'detours' along the way. But I got there in the end, I'm 4 weeks post-op today and it is wonderful.
So please hang on in there, stick around on the site, get to know people, ask all your questions and find encouragement both from pre and post-op people. And I look forward to encouraging you on your journey.

I rang the surgeon's secretary today, she told me she couldn't tell me anything and had been advised to refer anyone ringing to PALS. I was then put through to the PALS office who then told me I needed to speak to my PCT they did give me the number, I spoke to someone in the PCT who then told me that Walsall had not kept them informed of the numbers being referred and they are working with Walsall to get the numbers down !!! and as I was currently on the waiting list I would remain but it would be a long wait !!!

I rang the surgeon's secretary today, she told me she couldn't tell me anything and had been advised to refer anyone ringing to PALS. I was then put through to the PALS office who then told me I needed to speak to my PCT they did give me the number, I spoke to someone in the PCT who then told me that Walsall had not kept them informed of the numbers being referred and they are working with Walsall to get the numbers down !!! and as I was currently on the waiting list I would remain but it would be a long wait !!!

Oh that is just flipping awful! I'm so sorry. But at least you ARE on the list. It took me a whole year just to get to that point. I do hope your wait isn't too long.

Aw I hope it passes quickly for you, the waiting really is the worst part, mind you Im pre-op so I cant say if its worse than the actual op lol ...........Good Luck x

Hi Midnight, Walsall Manor lost my referral too from May. I ahd to ring in August to chase and low and behold it had just turned up that morning. I had my 1st appointment with Dr H and Anna on 18th Aug, I rang this week as I am scared they will lose me again and its like banging my head up a brick wall. Can I ask how long you waited to see Dr Kendrick after your first appointment. I have been told they are tackling the backlog before they send appointments out to others so this will be around Jan 2011. So many stories of incompetence at WM on here. they should not mess with peoples lives like this. Why cant they just be truthful about the waiting instead of giving false hope. I have tobe honest on reflection my consutations on the 18th were just a general chat about bypass and they made it all sound like a formality which isn't right. I dont feel any further forward than I was in May!
Any how good luck I hope you get your date very soon

Linski x

Hi Sue, it can be very frustrating but come on chin up, you are in the system....... get to a support group in if you can get connected and find the help along the way......Heartlands hospital have a support group next wednesday 15th 6.30 - 8.30 parking is £2 insteazd of £4 and we have lots of patients who have had surgery at Walsall....

All the best Honey

Hi Midnight, Walsall Manor lost my referral too from May. I ahd to ring in August to chase and low and behold it had just turned up that morning. I had my 1st appointment with Dr H and Anna on 18th Aug, I rang this week as I am scared they will lose me again and its like banging my head up a brick wall. Can I ask how long you waited to see Dr Kendrick after your first appointment. I have been told they are tackling the backlog before they send appointments out to others so this will be around Jan 2011. So many stories of incompetence at WM on here. they should not mess with peoples lives like this. Why cant they just be truthful about the waiting instead of giving false hope. I have tobe honest on reflection my consutations on the 18th were just a general chat about bypass and they made it all sound like a formality which isn't right. I dont feel any further forward than I was in May!
Any how good luck I hope you get your date very soon

Linski x

Hi Linski

The wait was 4 months to see Dr Kendrick. The whole thing is like pulling teeth with them, very poor communication, no one will tell you anything.
I found out more when I rang Wolverhampton PCT, who informed me that they will be contacting everyone to inform them what is happening. But reading between the lines I got the impression they are making the referral criteria harder.

Oh that is just flipping awful! I'm so sorry. But at least you ARE on the list. It took me a whole year just to get to that point. I do hope your wait isn't too long.

Thank you Charis

It took me 3 years of fighting my GP every step of the way to get referred, and the only way I managed that in the end was because I went armed with the NICE Guidance on obesity and threw it on his desk and said I know what you are supposed to be doing for me, do it, and that worked funnily enough

It is so very frustrating when we have to fight so very hard to get this lifesaving surgery.

I have to admit my GP has been quite a star. And I got funding almost immediately, even though he said he didn't believe I would get it at all. It was the journey through the hospital's rigmarole which took so long.
And that was the bit I thought would take the longest!

Sue, please don't take offence but it took me 6 months to get where you are and then a further 6 months for surgery. A 12 month wait is about the norm for Walsall. There is one lady on here who has been waiting since July last year. It is literally a waiting game! Walsall have made a right *&*& up of it all!

Someone mentioned a support group, why don't you come along to the Walsall Support Group which is having it's next meeting Sept 20th at Harrisons Sports & Social Club @ 7.30pm. It's a very friendly bunch and we'd love to see some new faces...

Sue, please don't take offence but it took me 6 months to get where you are and then a further 6 months for surgery. A 12 month wait is about the norm for Walsall. There is one lady on here who has been waiting since July last year. It is literally a waiting game! Walsall have made a right *&*& up of it all!

Someone mentioned a support group, why don't you come along to the Walsall Support Group which is having it's next meeting Sept 20th at Harrisons Sports & Social Club @ 7.30pm. It's a very friendly bunch and we'd love to see some new faces...

I am just begining to realise how incompetent Walsall are at communicating with patients. I am on leave the week of the 20th so may well come along to the group if thats ok.

Sue

i was sent to walsall, they said there would be no problem with funding all the way along then they found out i was at wrong hospitial for my pct funding. I would say keep in touch with your pct and keep checking if they recieve all paper work sent to the hospitial. I,m waiting now to see if i get the funding, it is hard but hopefully it will be worth it. Reading peoples experiences on here makes me feel i,m not alone in this fight,it,s a very positive support group.x

The support group is at Harrisons Sports & Social Club in Great Wyrley starts at 7.30 xx

Back