• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

High Cholesterol level question ?????

voluptuouschick

Hi everyone!!
Omg my Dr has got my blood results back & the receptionist said my cholesterol level was 17.10 I know this must be bad by her reaction when she read it out to me (eeeeks) but exactly how bad is it - does anybody know?
Also does anyone know if this will be a significant factor in getting surgery??

I have had to stop smoking or they won't do the surgery according to weight management so have done & am now in day 3 woooo hoooo I am so proud of myself lol
Love n hugs
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi everyone!!
Omg my Dr has got my blood results back & the receptionist said my cholesterol level was 17.10 I know this must be bad by her reaction when she read it out to me (eeeeks) but exactly how bad is it - does anybody know?
Also does anyone know if this will be a significant factor in getting surgery??

I have had to stop smoking or they won't do the surgery according to weight management so have done & am now in day 3 woooo hoooo I am so proud of myself lol
Love n hugs
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Hiya
Just read your post,well done on the stopping smoking keep it up hun,i have some info on the cholestrol question you asked hope it helps.

- Your blood cholesterol can be measured from a small blood sample.
- It will indicate which category level you fall into:
- Ideal: cholesterol is less than 5mm
- Mildly high: between 5 and 6.4 mm
- Moderately high: 6.5 to 7.8 mm
- Very high: above 7.8 mm
- The UK average is 5.7 mm.
The significance of a high cholesterol level
A high level is one of many risk factors for coronary heart disease. On its own, a mildly elevated level is of little concern, but if it exists where other risk factors are present such as smoking, high blood pressure, lack of exercise, stress, overweight and diabetes, then the cholesterol level becomes much more important as all risk factors are then multiplied.

But the way i look at it is, if we all had the ideal levels ,would we be having the operations we are all were wanting or already have had done.

((hugs)) Di xx

Last edited:
Hi vicky hun, Di's post sums it up perfectly......Di I now know why your in my gang such a wealth of knowledge keep it up lol....Linda x

Thanks Di & Linda ;)
Oh my days I'm in trouble then aren't I !! It is MASSIVELY high ... scared me now :( flipping heck how the heck has this happened!!
it was high when I was in my 20's & then a report came out saying women needed it to be higher for pregnancy etc so nothing else was ever said about it deary me lol
I hope it will help me get my op !!!!
love ya all!!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Vicky,

The good news is, lowering your cholesterol is a relatively easy thing to do. Small changes in your diet and an increase in exercise has a huge effect. My DH has mildly high cholesterol and I've been through it all with him :) Have a look on the British Heart Foundation's website for LOADS of info!

Has your GP mentioned putting you on Statins? Those are the cholesterol lowering drug but by my understanding once you start taking them you're on them for life. Having a bypass would drastically lower your cholesterol very quickly so this is another boost for your funding :)

I was on statins and they reduce your cholestrol really quickly. I came off them though because I could hardly walk first thing in the morning. They can give you joint and muscle pain but it does not affect everyone and well worth a go. I am surprised your GP let it get this high, mine is around 5 now,only slightly raised but the GP said unless it shot up they would leave me off the statins....Linda x

Hi vicky, mine too was really high at about 14 i think. within 2 months of having my op it is now in normal limits. gives you more weight so to speak for getting you op. good luck x

Hi,

Just wanted to say that even though my BMI was just under 38 before my op, my cholesteral was absolutely normal! I dont know if it is because I am vegetarian and do not eat animal products, or I am just lucky!

Kel xx

Hi Vicky Well done on stoping smoking. hve you just gone cold turkey or have you attended a smoking cessessition clinic at yr dr's.
I think everyone here has given you very good info regarding yr colesterol just one question though once the receptionist gave you the results did she not make you an appointment with yr Dr. I know at my drs the receptionist can only give normal results anything else they say you will have to come in and see the dr.
If i were you i would make an appointment and go and see yr dr and talk through the options. My friend has come off statins for 5 yrs now after significantly changing her diet. so you may be able to help it down before yr surgery.
take care
HC

Hi viky
welldone on giving up smoking.. I had mine tested last week and it was 5 but i didnt know what it was suppost to be. As shell said you can get it lowered with help..
Take care
emma

Back