• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Homerton waiting list??

Azazel

Hi all, completely new here and forgive me but I'm making a combo post I guess. Introduction, information and question all in one :)

I am a 28 year old male, just under 6ft, type 1 diabetic and weighing at 158kg.

I've been on a downward spiral ever since a bad car accident about 10 years ago and the weight just keeps coming on no matter what I do. Tried dieting but in the end that just messes with my sugar levels and the alike. Working has been very very hard as I'm sure many of you know that when you get to a certain size, your feet and legs are in absolute agony with any strain.

So my life has been this. Get a job, struggle, physically not be able to do the job due to pain and/or diabetic low sugar. Either way ends me up without a job and makes it that much harder to keep at whatever my current weight was at and even harder in getting the next job. Sick of it to be honest.

Anyway I went and saw my GP and he refered me to Homerton hospital for an assessment or whatever it is where you speak to dietician, surgeon and have the group thing all in one day. The surgeon said my best bet would be the gastric bypass so all was set. He seemed quite confident that I would get the surgery in "about 5-6 months". Well, that was 6 months ago and I just had another appointment at Homerton where I was told a lot of us are simply waiting on funding and that it could still be a few months till the surgery date.

Thing is, they told me that day that I had already been approved for funding so I'm just curious how long this sort of thing takes at this stage?

Its upsetting because I feel like this operation is the one thing I need to live again ya know. My entire existence is being put on hold for this surgery which according to so many people on here, sounds like it could take years.

Does anyone know the average waiting time at this hospital and/or what the hold up could be considering the type of surgery has already been decided as well as been cleared for funding?

Back