• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hospital and Post Op - what will I need ??

Undecided

Hi Guys

I've never stayed in a hospital before.

Just wondering what I might need ? And what I will need in the house post op ? I wont have anyone to help me so best start getting organised ! :)

What can I eat (or rather drink I guess) in the first few weeks ? And what mushy foods can you eat ? I've read bit and bobs but wonerding if anyone still has the official hospital info on what to eat, as I've not seen any official info.

Thanks

Sorry I can't be of any help on the specific to op/diet side of things but I've had to stay in hospital a few times and found the air really dry so started taking in a spritzer spray for my face, light moisturiser and wet wipes - not for cleanliness but for some reason my hands always feel hot!!

Sorry can't be of anymore help x

Here's what I'm planning to take with me to hospital:

Pj's, Nightie, Robe, Knickers, Slippers, toiletries.
Earplugs, Dry mouth spray, Sugar free squash, face wipes.
Mobile and charger, laptop, book.
Something loose and comfortable to wear home.

As far as what to eat goes, it changes from one surgeon to another. I'm going to be on pureed food when I get home.
I currently have a freezer full of tiny portions of pureed cottage pie, quorn and veg in pasta sauce, soups and fish.
I also have lots of canned soup (check it doesn't have added sugar), smash potato with cheese, canned lentils to puree, dairylea triangles, mini babybels, fromage frais, muller lite, sugar free jelly and uht milk.
I don't want to have to do any shopping in the week I get home.

I'm also springcleaning my flat before I go into hospital and getting in tons of dog and cat food because it's heavy and I won't be able to carry it immediately post op.

Thanks Yorkiegal.

I dont think I'll be allowed pureed straight away, and I only have a freezer compartment. I miss being able to freeze lots of stuff. lol

Think Sunderland is liquids only. Am sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong lol

Here's what I'm planning to take with me to hospital:

Pj's, Nightie, Robe, Knickers, Slippers, toiletries.
Earplugs, Dry mouth spray, Sugar free squash, face wipes.
Mobile and charger, laptop, book.
Something loose and comfortable to wear home.

As far as what to eat goes, it changes from one surgeon to another. I'm going to be on pureed food when I get home.
I currently have a freezer full of tiny portions of pureed cottage pie, quorn and veg in pasta sauce, soups and fish.
I also have lots of canned soup (check it doesn't have added sugar), smash potato with cheese, canned lentils to puree, dairylea triangles, mini babybels, fromage frais, muller lite, sugar free jelly and uht milk.
I don't want to have to do any shopping in the week I get home.

I'm also springcleaning my flat before I go into hospital and getting in tons of dog and cat food because it's heavy and I won't be able to carry it immediately post op.

Hi Yorkiegal,

Can you tell me where you get Sugar Free Squash? I can only ever see No Added Sugar. Thank you and Best of Luck for your Op.

sorry that's what i meant. No added sugar.

hi undecided ,i was in srh 3 weeks ago and took the kitchen sink lol u can have fluids till midnight on day u go in if opp next day,then none day of opp but u get a sponge pack and small amount of water 2 dip them in 4 your lips.day after opp i was aloud sips of water only then next day porrage and home.i am eating mainly mash, soup yoghurt ect and u get all the diet sheets on discharge,any thing else just ask gl with ur opp

hi undicided i basically took in what was said above, i have surgery seven weeks ago today at SRH so unless they change diet sheet here is what im allowed, on day of op it was sponge stick with water, then water after op little sips, then on day of discharge i was allowed runny weetabix, then dietician came to see us to talk over sheet, here it is:

protein group; 6 servings per day.

1 serving is;
1/3 pint of milk-semi skimmed
1 diet/light yoghurt
1 fromage frais
1oz/25g pureed meat e.g. chicken, turkey,beef,lamb,pork
1oz/25g pureed fish
1oz/25g pureed tin fish
2oz/50g smooth soft meat or fish pate
1oz/25g cream cheese
1oz/25g cheese grated and mixed in hot food
2tbsp made up moose powder with semi skimmed milk
3tbsp custard made with semi skimmed milk

vegtables 2 servings per day;
1 serving is;
100mls tomato juice
1tbsp pureed vegtable

fruit group 2 servings per day;
1 serving is;
100mls unsweetend fruit juice
1tbsp pureed unsweetend tinned fruit [natural not syrup]
1tbsp pureed unsweetend fresh stewed fruit
1tbsp pureed fresh soft fruit

carbohydrate group 2 serving per day
1 serving is;
250mls pureed soup
2tbsp pureed cooked porridge
1/2 weetabix (soggy)
2tbsp cornflakes or similar cereal (soggy)
1tbsp pureed potato
1tbsp pureed sweetcorn
1tbsp pureed peas
1tbsp pureed yam/plantain/sweet potato.

this diet is for four to six weeks then we gradually go onto stage 1, stage 2 and stage 3 foods.

hope this helps to prepare you, it does seem alot of food daily but remember we are now to eat little and often. i also recomend a hand blender if you haven't already got one :)

Last edited:
might sound a silly question but what should i puree my food with? When I did my cottage pie the other night I added some beef oxo stock to thin it out. What about stuff like sweetcorn and peas etc? Do I just add water?

You can tell I've spent years living on ready meals and takeaways can't you?

might sound a silly question but what should i puree my food with? When I did my cottage pie the other night I added some beef oxo stock to thin it out. What about stuff like sweetcorn and peas etc? Do I just add water?

You can tell I've spent years living on ready meals and takeaways can't you?

Vegetable stock or vegetable broth

i use a hand blender yorky coz its ment 2 be smooth i think 2 give everthing time 2 heal

Ear plugs. Cannot stress that enough, hospitals are noisy places at night!!!!!

I feel so sorry for the other people on the ward. I'm a terrible snorer lol.

Is there no one you can go and stay with or who can come to you atleast for a few days post op? It's not recommended to be alone after major surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thanks everyone. Very helpful.

I think it'll be the other people that need the earplugs. My snoring is apparently quite loud. lol

I live with a friend. He'll be there. Just not during the day. I havent told anyone else, so they cant really be there :)

sorry spelling error, mousse powder, i used low sugar angel delight with skimmed milk. i went to hospital on the 19th march, had the op on the 20th and got discharged on the 21st. :)
the book i was given at the seminar said you can be in hospital anything from 3-5days, but i think it varies with each individual, they like you to be on your feet as soon as you can be as it really does help to get rid of trapped wind. all the best
barbara x

hi x

I cant help with the food guide as i'm pre-opper too, but as a regular to hospitals and numorous week long stays, i find the most valuble items besides basics are,

1, lip balm
2,face flanel
3,vicks vapo rub (just in case theres a smell in the air)
4,hand held battery fan
5,sudocream ( nurses are v.busy so best to have your own)
6,phone charger (dont use hospital phone cost too much)
7,detangle spray for your hair (just in case you cant get to wash it)

and thats about it, well there my favourites lol x good luck and keep us posted xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Yorkiegal,

Can you tell me where you get Sugar Free Squash? I can only ever see No Added Sugar. Thank you and Best of Luck for your Op.

asda and tesco do sugar free juice, i have just tried the pear drop one from tescoit makes a change to the orange and is nice with ice on these warm days, and i couldnt believe it when i seen it they also do a sugar free still cola juice, you do have to have a good look up the section hope this helps , all the best barbara xx

Back