• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hospital bag essentials

Jrichard

Hi all

I have just packed my bag to go in for a bypass.

This is what I included.

Vaseline- for the dry lips
Squash- for when I fancy a change from water
Book, magazine- in case I get bored
Sample sized toiletries- everything you need but smaller
Comfortable clothing- if there's a time that you are allowed to wear your slobs outside the comfort of your own home I think that this is it!
Slipper socks- no cold feet for me in theatre
Mobile phone- so I can kiss my kids goodnight
Loose change- just incase

If anyone notices anything that have forgotten please let me know. I am going in on the 16th.
:wave_cry:

I bought all sorts and used nothing except my mobile phone - didnt even read my mags cos hubby with me pre-op then slept post-op before coming home less than 24 hours after op. Did manage to clean my teeth so toothbrush was handy! As for cold feet - the lovely stockings they give you pre-op sort that out! But at least I came home with lots to read, new toiletries and a new toiletry bag!! Good luck to everyone about to begin their journey xx

I didnt have surgical stockings my surgeon said they cause more probs in the leg than dvt!Dont forget your pillow for journey home,pjs and nightys just incase.Maz x

just a quicky ,il take all the basics to, im sure vaseline isnt allowed in my hospital ,( ive been told not to use it before other surgeries in my hospital) ,maybe a good lip balm is a better option, and a pen ,mouth wash spray ,hate the taste in your mouth after surgery,yuk!

I took a 1 litre sports bottle of water. They ask how much you are drinking and that way you can show them. Just remember everytime they ask how much you've had fill it up again ready for next ask

a mini hand held fan might come in useful as hospital wards are boiling hot.

Definitely earplugs to drown out the beeping sound your IV will make all night!

sanitary towels. The shock of surgery can often make you get your period early.

I also took a dry mouth spray which came in handy for the first couple of days post op, although they will give you mouth swabs if you ask for them.

Hi all,
I am going to have my op on 9th July. bag not packed yet but I am sure I will take some of the suggested items. Definately mouth wash I hate bad tastes in my mouth. Taking my laptop cos I will be bored stiff the night before and I can be designing all my Christmas cards and projects while I am in recovery if I can. My fone so I can reassure her that I am OK. LOL

Didn't use most of it

Hi all I got back today, books unread, magazines untouched. I think I mostly slept doped up on pain killers!:8855:

Not so bad. I'm not very good with anaesthetics so I was expecting to feel rougher than most, which I did. But I'm now day 4 post op and feel significantly better. Still don't really feel hungry. I can't wait till weigh day.

I didnt have surgical stockings my surgeon said they cause more probs in the leg than dvt!Dont forget your pillow for journey home,pjs and nightys just incase.Maz x

Hi - what do you mean about your pillow for the journey home? Is it to put across your tummy for protection of the seatbelt? Cheers - just starting to pack my own bag. ;)

A pillow between my tummy and the seatbelt for the journey home is one of the best pieces of advice I've taken from this forum. Especially considering the amount of speed bumps there seem to be on our roads these days!!!
xXx

Thanks everyone for your brilliant suggestions, I've just stolen them and put themon a list ready for my op in Sept/

I've also highlighted the pillow....never even considered this..Thanks :)

I definitely found the pillow for the journey home my most essential item.

If you only remember one item make sure it's your pillow!

Good luck for your op.

Julie

Thanks everyone for your brilliant suggestions, I've just stolen them and put themon a list ready for my op in Sept/

I've also highlighted the pillow....never even considered this..Thanks :)

I am pinching them too :D Thanks everyone. :happy096:

Back