• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Tobi's hospital bag

It gets better everyday. To give you an idea this is what I've done today: My husband had to go back to work today so I am alone at home and I managed to get up, go down the stairs, empty the dishwasher, tidy up the living room on my own and I went for a walk for 30 min. I could have done these yesterday too but didn't have to so I didn't think about it.

Easy go get on with daily stuff but of course I can't compare my experience with yours looking after children as I don't have any. There are things I couldn't do on my own. I couldn't put my socks on for example. I had a bit of difficulty pulling my trousers up but managed it in the end. I can't lift the cats up yet, they are average size cats weighing around 5kg. Maybe it would be a good idea to get some help around the house with the children for the first week?

I could go to work today because I have a desk job but it would have been uncomfortable. I don't rely on the painkillers as much either. I took some in the morning when I woke up but didn't need to afterwards. Will probably take some before I go to bed though.

I feel very well, just a bit sore here and there. 3 small incisions are almost healed, the two bigger ones are sore but this is to be expected.

Hope this helps! xx

Hi Tobi, glad to hear you are well on the mend now. I just packed my bag too, ticked off your list ? so looking forward to Monday now and joining you on the other side, but getting a little twinge of nerves and worry clouding my thoughts now and again! Suppose this is normal
What are you managing to eat now? I'm so hungry today :( longing for the full feeling to arrive!!! Roll on next week!!! X

Hi hon :) nerves are normal I'm sure and I won't tell you not to be nervous because I was too :p but once the day starts it just flies and although I was up all night before sick with worry, I panicked and worried for a short time! Before the blood test as my veins are a nightmare to find and ad I guessed it was very difficult to do it. And before the nurse came to take me to the operating room. Everything else happened so quickly and they do take good care of you :)

Right, food... Or drinks rather :)

Stuff I struggled with in the first day was fruit
Smoothies and yogurt (mullet light without bits to be exact) but they are easy to swallow now. That is what the nurses gave me on my second day so it must be ok? Rule is if you can't tolerate it now try again in a few days then you might.

I made soup and froze it in small containers a couple of days before my op because there has to be more nutrients in what you make than shop bought soup with who knows whatever in it.

I consume a lot of home made soup: I made chicken stock by simply boiling chicken legs without the skin with a bit of salt, a celery stick and a carrot (didn't use onions in case I couldn't tolerate them) and sieved and once cool, removed the excess fat that solidifies on top. In this stock I boiled a couple of potatoes, carrots, a few strings of green beans and a courgette. Once the veg got soft, I took them out, sieved again and there you go, clear chicken soup with lots of protein and vitamins in it :) This is great for the first couple of days because it's very thin and full of good stuff.

I also had cup-a-mushroom soup (sieve the bits), low fat custard thinned with milk, ice lollies (both milky and fruity ones), actimel 0%, and last night's invention of chicken stock mixed with a teaspoon of cheese sauce mix and some skimmed milk powder. I can have tea and coffee too but I don't because I get full so easily and I'd rather get nutritious stuff in before I fill up on tea/coffee if that makes sense...

Not long to go now :) wishing you al the best and remember we are all here for you!! Xxx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Brilliant idea, how much soup can you manage? Ws thinking of trying out your recipe and freezing in ice cube bags.
I went off soup a while back as did it to death on weight watchers, mostly veg soup, every time it tasted the same as all tomato based :) I have no imagination!

Not much hon, Half a coffee mug maybe? Takes me about an hour to finish xxx

Looking forward to enjoying and tasting my food! I eat so quickly i hardly taste it, i know I have to change completely or the band won't work, be also nice to not have the focus on food for a change and eat a proper portion then leave! Can't wait :)

hi tobi glad you are doing so well. soup sounds a good idea wil try that when i have my op. found your list really useful thanks hune. wishing lots of success and a speedy recovery.

Good luck tomorrow Hanako and please keep us posted! xxx

Hanako said:
Hi Toby,
thank you for your list. I have just used it to pack my bag for tomorrow. :)

Good luck tomorrow x

ive not even set my date yet (getting it tuesday) but this list has been fantastic and ill be getting all my stuff i need soon :)

Back