• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

hospital socks

Haylz6

Hiya

Was just wondering how long you have to wear the very dashing hospital socks for of anyone knows???

Haylz xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I had mine on from the evening before surgery until the morning after the op when I was allowed home.
xXx

I was told 10 days, but took them of after 4 days, i was walking about a lot, and they made my legs itch, and got hot, but we are all diffrent

I was told to wear them for 6 weeks. However they were cutting off the circulation in two of my toes. I wore them for 4 weeks then gave up. I seem to remember remonstrating with someone on here when I was a naive pre-opper about how they should follow their surgeons instructions to a tee. I know someone who died of a blood clot post gastric bypass you see. Incidentally she was sent home without socks or fragmin jabs. But personally I found that I was so active anyway at 4 weeks out that I didn't think there was much risk for me. I'm walking the dog for 3 hours per day and I take care to do leg exercises if I'm sat down for any length of time.

My nurse said that if I found the socks uncomfortable it would be ok to wear them during the day and take them off at night.

My toes are still numb lol.

Just I have really bad ezma on my left leg and foot and it gets really sore n itch if covered with something tight, I can just get away with socks that are 2 sizes bigger, and I no these ones are super tight xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

People need to think really carefully about NOT wearing the tights for the recommended length of times. They are there for a very very important reason. They are there to help reduce the chance of DVT and Pulmonary embolisms, which we are ALL more susceptible to after surgery.

In the Sheffield PCT, 10 people have been lost after surgery, over half of these are through either DVT or PE's. This was in the earlier days of WLS, and since the relevant measures have been taken, TED Stockings and Claxane injections, no one has been lost due to these reasons!

They may be uncomfortable but they are life savers!

My surgeon said they cause more problems than solved so just injected longer and was never offered them!

Back