• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

chinese and indian food

Haylz6

Hi I just need some advice, every year in sept/oct we have a massive family get together at my boyfriends grandparents house and this has happened since we been together 5 years, il be 2.5/3 months most op, will I be able to join in with them food wish at the table.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips as to what to have or not to have.

Thanks Haylz xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I am not 100% sure as I'm not that far along yet but I would think you could, as long as you make sensible choices. Chicken is always available at Chinese & Indian and I'm already eating chicken. You would just have to watch the sauces, head for the veggies and avoid the deep fried stuff. You will have a good idea of your tolerances by that point. Maybe someone with more experience will be able to help more. Good luck x

Can I ask how far post op you are hunnie, am 8days now n am so scared to eat anything that isn't milk or yogurt, iv had 1 tin of soup, but I fear I'm gonna wreck my pouch so am sticking to the same things xx

I'd suggest a chicken or mushroom chow mein as that is high in protein but low in fats etc or one of the tomato based curries although with both of them the rice or noodles may be a bit much at not quite 3mths post op. But I'd suggest you check with your team for more accurate advice.

I had surgery 2 weeks and 3 days ago. I have been very lucky as everything Ive tried has been fine. Except Milk which makes me feel very sick. I have been very careful only trying very small quantities and chewing and chewing and chewing. I started with more chunky soups as everything in the soup was very soft but still something to get my teeth into. It is scary so proceed with caution and with tiny bits at first. All hospitals seem to give differnt advice, some are on liquids for 3 to 4 weeks but I called my team during week 2 and they said if I feel ready for stage 2 then I should try it. Good luck x

I was thinking of just having chicken n veg in like a chop suey sauce, a bit like the chow main sauce if have Chinese n then dried chicken tikka if we go Indian. Il stay away from rice etc, plus I don't want anything cream as I don't fancy dumping in front of the family xx

My only input would be, be wary of dry chicken. Obviously everyone is different and stages vary, but I tried a tiny piece of chicken and it made ne sick, it was just too dry, however its still very early days for me. Nearly a month out. Like Mandy I've been fortunate enough to tolerate most things well. Hope you can pull this off though, sounds like fun! X

My only input would be, be wary of dry chicken. Obviously everyone is different and stages vary, but I tried a tiny piece of chicken and it made ne sick, it was just too dry, however its still very early days for me. Nearly a month out. Like Mandy I've been fortunate enough to tolerate most things well. Hope you can pull this off though, sounds like fun! X

Good point! I tolerate chicken better when its been cooked in soups and casseroles so its really soft and wet. x

We will wait and see what happens when the meal is, by then il have q good idea what I can eat. Am 10days out atm so a long way to go xx

I had biryani a few times in my losing phase when we had Indian, as it is lower in fat than a traditional curry.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Shell isnt byriani mainly rice, meat and veg? It is in my local indian but you get a seperate curry sauce. Where you ok with the rice?

I love biryani as you have the meat & rice then the veg curry on top very filling but gorgeous but really high in w.w pro-points as high in carbs with the rice and a bit oily. I tended to have it thinking it was better than some of the richer sauced ones that you can see the fat floating. I think theses days I'd probably get four meals from a meal that I'd normally down in one sitting. But it is gorgeous I'm with you there Shel.

I've always been fine with rice, so long as you take it slow and eat the right way it should be fine. But have a trial run at home beforehand!

You can ask the chef to use as little fat or ghee as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Back