• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How do you stay sane cooking for others???

wombat

Hi everyone,

I will be 3 weeks out on Friday and am doing okish.

But wat drives me mad is cooking and feeding others. I have 2 small kids, one 3 years old and other is 9 months old.
And the 3 y.o. is a fussy eater... Meaning he would eat certain things - like pasta bolognese, sausages and mash, rice and sauce... ALL the things I LOVE!!
You see, chocolate, ice cream, cakes - give it or take it for me, but just normal food - drives me insane!! And not only I have to cook it all, I also have to sit there and watch him eating (well, him and my hubby).

Another thing is - hubby CAN'T cook to save his life! Most he can do is pizza (stick a ready made in the oven) and boil an egg.
So either I cook or kids eat pizza and fish&chips...

Gosh, I know it is in my head (I am not hungry), but it is so damn hard!
:(

I think the same thing will happen to me, reading your thread i can just see it. I feel your fustration if that the correct word. I don't know what to advise mayb somebody can help you who has been through it. I would imagine in time it will become easier, when you start to notice your losing weight it will probably spur you on, i hope so, maybe when its my turn you can advise me on what to do, good luck hun xxx

My kids, luckily, are big enough to fend for themselves....

I feel your pain xx

just keep thining of the end result... thats all you can do sweetpea........ very hard im sure!! and i to will think ill have this problem! ooo keep strong xx

This is a problem that I am going to have, glad you raised it, plus our house is the hub for the big dinner celebrations...it was always Sunday lunch for ten and my homemade yorkshire puds...

I am starting how I mean to go on.

Already, my fridge has a heap of various salad stuffs, no white potato dinners and no sauces and gravies etc etc....

I did a huge bowl of mixed fruit salad and left it in the fridge... it takes off a sweet surge and the family loved it...

Likewise, I am working on making salads interesting, colourful and tasty... I often throw a few raisins in to add to the taste and cubes of apple...

The whole family here are going to have to get used to eating healthier!

Should have done it years ago and instead of me being on my feet in the kitchen... I shall be using up calories on my Wii or going to the toning tables until I am comfortable with a gym...

Plus, I'm saving a fortune on my shopping bill with this style of eating.... and growing my own fruit and veg this year!

Keep positive, keep going and keep going down on the scales (but up in confidence!)

Much love and hope this helps someone in a small way at least xxx

Thank you girls for your replies :)

Joanne - I had gastric bypass.

Today I had to have a lick of bolognese sauce off the cooking spoon. Gosh! Does it tastes yumm!!
Wend down fine, but now I can't stop feeling guilty...

Does anybody know if you can have too much sugarfree jelly with semi-skimmed milk? That is the only food pleasure left... I have it as snacks in between the meals.

Beverlie - I looooooooooove salads! And fresh greens and all the healthy stuff! The problem is that at the moment I can't have even that!

All I can have at this stage - cream soups (and my taste changes daily, so if I loved cream of mushroom yesterday I hate the taste today), sugarfree youghurts, sugarfree jelly, scrambled eggs... I also can have baby puree type foods, but I don't count those as they make me sick (hate the taste of blended veg and meat, yukkk).

Hopefully after a month, when I will be able to eat everything Ill be happier...

On a positive note - I already lost a stone and a half :)

Me too... I'm always making healthy soups and although I don't make my own bread... it's a great way of eating healthy and wisely...

Good luck on your journey and hope you go from strength to strength... thinking of you and much love xxx

I was quite lucky my hubby did most of the cooking early on but the lovely smells used to drive me mad i so wanted to dive in. I ate a lot of sugar free jelly and sugar free angel delight at your stage. The other thing i had as a treat was pureed fresh raspberries with some low fat evaporated milk yum yum x

It does get easier! In the meantime, can you find a community cooking course for hubby? My hubbs has had to learn to cook better than he did before, partly cos of my op and partly cos of my health. One other thing I do is batch cook and freeze in portions, especially things like bolognaise. I do a slow cooker full and buy the foil dishes, freeze them, and then hubby just throws them in the oven to re-heat and cooks pasta or a baked spud to go with.

In our house they get eaten long before I need to worry about that! I'm not a big believer in freezing limits, in my mind, if it's frozen its fine, so i don't keep track ;) I know some of charlie's puree recipes say 4 weeks, but I keep things far longer than that, and we're all still kicking!

Its just me and the boys here, I found the hardest time cooking for them was when i was milk only, I actually went and laid on my bed one evening crying my eyes out as I'd cooked them a roast and all I could have was a pint of milk. I've found it a lot easier post op as have not had the urge to eat, have to remind my self its meal time, not counting down the hours until my next meal!!!

Back