• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How prepared are you

hopelesscase

I just thought i would share some of the things that have helped me along my journey. I have always been active and gone swimming and to the gym but prior to surgery i upped my walking and swimming.
Prior to getting my date for surgery apart from finding this forum i got several books including cook books for after WLS and read them.
The week prior to my bypass i spent the week cooking and freezing soups in ice cube size portions not knowing exactly how much i would be able to eat and then putting them in bags. I also went shopping for smoothies, yogurt, bovril, horliks etc to make sure i had a range of things that i would be able to have. I also have a 19 yr old son so not knowing how i would be i prepared and froze him some meals as well as ensuring he had enough things in for his packed lunches etc. part baked bread rolls have been a god send as he has always had fresh bread in.
Last week i went shopping and then spent time cooking and pureeing veges, meats in gravy, fruits etc and again froze them in ice cube size portions to ensure i was prepared for my puree stage. I have also cut a block of cheese into 1oz portions so im not tempted to guess and have too much.
I have found this preperation to of been a godsend i have not had to think about what i want to eat or how long it is going to take as all i need to do is open the freezer and it is there and i can put it straight in the microwave.
I am still cooking meals for my son and again if i have any leftovers that i can have i have pureed them and either had them the next day or frozen them.
Because i have never been good at taking medication i have bought a dosset type box thing with the days of the week on. this i fill every monday and it is a very visual reminder if i forget to take one of my meds.
The other thing i have done is to always ensure i have a bottle of water available and sip at it throughout the day. That was really easy the first 2 weeks whilst on fluids as they went down easy but now on puree im having to put a little more thought into it as i want the food to digest in my tummy and not be flushed out. Or worst still be sick because i have forced too much down in one go.
Finally Listening to my body, feeling full after WLS is such a new feeling im finding myself feeling really satisfied without feeling stuffed and uncomfortable. How many time have you been out for that slap up meal and thought oh i wished i hadnt had that pudding because you feel so uncomfortable.
I know its early days and i still have a lot to learn im only 2 weeks post op but have been very active post op and been swimming twice this week since day 11.
For me preperation has been the key and just thought i would share in case it can help you who are awaiting surgery.
good luck and take care
Carole

How very lovely of you! You worked hard to be prepared and it paid off.

I did many of things you did to prepare EXCEPT I was very inactive and we can see how you run circles around me:eek:!! That is the only thing I would do different.:break_diet:

You're a keeper! Good on you...:D:D

Excellent post Carole :clap:

I worked hard to identify my eating triggers and bad habits, and worked to reduce them pre-op. I also learnt to listen to my tum pre-op, which helped no end.

You know what they say, 'fail to prepare, prepare to fail'.

Foods I had prepared before hand I found I could not stomach afterwards as my tastes seem to have changed so much lol...xx

Well i didn't prepare at all, as i didn't know how to. So i guess that's why i'm struggling now.

Well, you have us now. Hopefully you can come on here and find anything you are unsure about. Also, hun, you had an open procedure didn't you? You're recovery is a bit longer than the keyhole bypassers.:sigh:

Give yourself time to adjust. Plus with all your non-wls stress and chasing around a baby (you have a little one under two years right?) you need a bit more time to find your groove then others.;) I have had it very easy compared to you since I have just had to baby myself, so give yourself some credit hun. It doesn't happen overnight but you will feel more normal soon.:)

Foods I had prepared before hand I found I could not stomach afterwards as my tastes seem to have changed so much lol...xx

I know what you mean CG, I am actually starting to loathe the sight of chocolate :eek: and garlic repeats on me like a bad pop record:p!

Nic I am really into fish at the minute and have you noticed that the food you do eat and enjoy is really tasty? The sweet potato I had yesterday was so yummy yet before my op I would just eat it and never bothered about the taste just the quantity. Also with chewing everything so much it makes you feel fuller....I have started to keep a list of the food I am eating and when I look at it I am amazed as before the whole days worth would of been a snack....lol...xx

How right you are! When I love it, I LOVE it. I feel like all I do is eat all day long but when I look at the list at the end of the day it seems so small. :D

Thank you for the insight, helps me to think it out!
Just got an appt for Nuffield in Taunton on 29th, so excited!
Sxxx

I didnt prepair foods as I heard so many stories of "tastes" changing, and they were right.............lol.
14 weeks down the line and I'm still strugling to eat any solids and I am fed up with alot of foods such as soup........lol.

Back