• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How long to get WLS from start to finish

everhopefull

Rgeular for help lol
Hey all was wondering from the start of your journeys eg visiting the dr to the end your surgery date.

How long did it take im visiting the dr for the first time about going for WLS and want to get into my head how long it may take.

Thanks all.

Hi it varies from PCT to PCT, I waited just under 21 weeks, but I touched lucky on the fact I had two bits of good luck along the way, one getting to know the surgeons lovely secretary who when funding was approved did not hesitate in getting me a date for the op three days later....xx

I was very lucky too, saw the GP in July, applied for funding in August, got funding in September, met consultant 2nd October and had surgery on the 30th October.

Hi and welcome, everyone is very different. You best look up your local criteria. From there you might have some idea. I do not know any 2 cases the same. Even with the same surgeons.

charliegirl was very lucky and exceptional. She worked very very hard to get over all the problems concerning getting funding and then it was so lucky that she got on well with the secutary of the surgeon. I have learned so much from her but I am not so lucky. With the help of this forum I am working my way threw the problems of getting appointments and convincing the PCT that I need this operation. It is very hard and time consuming but I have no choice as I want to live a healthy life.

So far it has taken me almost 2 years just to be referred to my local hospital and see the obesity team, I was refused be a patient in 2007. They will not accept a patient unless they have tried all the available meds and tried the counter weight programme. From there I seen the obesty nurse twice in July. Then I seen a consultant in August, he recommended surgery. Now I am waiting for my PCT to give me the funding. This is proving very difficult as I do not fit my local criteria even thou my BMI is 49.1. If I get my funding I might have to wait up to a year for my op as my hospiatal covers such a wide aera. The PCT have told me they hope it would be done within a year.

Everyone is so different so be strong and learn from this site. There are so many wonderful people here to help you. Even thou I am having problem maybe you can learn from me and maybe avoid some of the pit fall.

best of luck.

Hi and welcome to minis.

i went to my Gp at Xmas and he made an appilcation for funding. my funding was approved in Feb and i had my initial consultation in April. i then went on to have my bypass at the end of may. i know each PCT is different but my whole journey was trouble free.

which PCT are you under? x

it took me 18 months of fighting with the gp's just to get a referal, i seen them all at my practice till one of lady doctors understood i was serious and i couldnt loose and keep of my weight long term.

liz x

You might be able to relate to some of this list which was posted for me by another member. You could use it to help with your funding. maybe there are things on here that you didn't realize were related to you.

here is a list of Co Morbidities in respect of Weight Loss Surgery which may help in some way (could prob find the stats with a web search if needed - as well as some explanations of what some of them actually are! :))...
  1. Diabetes
  2. Neuropathy
  3. Hypertension
  4. Family history of heart attacks or heart disease, stroke, diabetes, heart attacks
  5. Thickened heart walls due to excessive weight & hypertension
  6. Intracranial hypertension (psudeotumor cerebra)
  7. Migraines/Headaches directly related to obesity/cranial hypertension
  8. Bells Palsy
  9. Cardiac Arrhythmias
  10. Ocular Hypertension
  11. High Cholesterol (hypercholesteralemia)
  12. Elevated Triglycerides
  13. Hypothyroidism
  14. Excess Testosterone
  15. Excess Facial & Body Hair (Hirsutism)
  16. Acne
  17. Rashes
  18. Chronic Skin Infections
  19. Excess Sweating
  20. Frequent yeast infections
  21. Hormonal Abnormalities
  22. Infertility
  23. Polycystic Ovaries
  24. Dysfunctional uterine bleeding
  25. Amenorrhea related to obesity
  26. Incontinence related to obesity
  27. Lower Back Pain and muscle spasms
  28. Ankle/knees swelling
  29. Asthma or Shortness of breath upon exertion
  30. Decreased Exercise Tolerance
  31. Hip & joint
  32. Sleep apnoea & heavy snoring
  33. Acid Reflux
  34. Chronic Fatigue
  35. Fluid retention
  36. Gall Bladder removal due to weight and dieting
  37. Activity Intolerance; shortness of breath and severe fatigue even with minimal activity
  38. Decreased endurance limiting daily activities, including but not limited to; walking, housework, working, dressing, standing, getting up, bathing, sitting, travel
  39. Frequent constipation alternating with frequent diarrhoea
  40. Stress incontinence
  41. Fibrocystic breast disease
  42. Abdominal gas and frequent nausea
  43. Haemorrhoids
  44. History of colon polyps
  45. Varicose Veins
to psychological issues
  1. Lack of Self Esteem
  2. Social Rejection
  3. Loss of Job Potential
  4. Inappropriate Coping Strategies
  5. Anxiety
  6. Severe Depression due to weight, inability to exercise
  7. Depression related to difficulty coping with frequent failures at diet attempts
Hopefully you can get something from that list & it helps!

Hi thanks everyone for the fast replies, im under the manchester pct im hoping I will get the referal as quick as I can my BMI is over 50 at the moment and im 21st I cant sleep at night and have depresion.

So I need to loose weight so bad becasue I know that me being this big has somthing to do with all that I have tryed everything else and after a lot of thought I know this is my last resort.

Thank you so much for that list ill have a good read thought now

Hi just read though it and quite a few of them relate to me thanks so much might take some of them to my dr and see what he thinks about it.

what PCT do you come under? Shel has a list she can post. Charlie girl is in your area. She will have valuable advice.

Im under manchester PCT I think iv just moved and im right on the border for tameside so im not that sure.

Im under manchester PCT I think iv just moved and im right on the border for tameside so im not that sure.
It might be worthwhile checking which pct has the easier process / better odds and either staying with your Manchester GP or getting a Tameside GP. Just a thought ;). I read somewhere on another wls board of a woman who kept her Manchester GP even though she had moved to Bury and she got her funding quite quick under Manchester pct. Manchester fund 200 procedures a year at a cost of £2.5 million.
xxx

interesting question but im in no hurry to find out ive seen the doc got the referral within a week seen the surgeon october 3rd and i am off to see 3 doctors next friday and 2 on jan 14th i can only assume that it will be soon after then so maybe about 3 4 months but id like to see the answers!!

you can add chronic urticaria to that list
mine is most likely caused by hormone inbalance due to morbid obesity but you would not wish it on your worst enemy
i have attacks several times a month
i look like i fell in the nettles naked and the itching is intense like chicken pox and it comes and goes without warning!

Mine took over 18 months, it was about 21 months in total I think.

wow so it realy does vary doent it Im hoping that it wont be that long for me.

Back