• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How does the process work from referal to op...

FEDup1981

I WILL look like this!!
Hi all

Im very new to all this, and at the moment im on WL tablets. Should be refered for WLS assessment in the new year. Ive read many posts on here, and didnt realise how long and drawn out the process is. Can someone please explain the process from referal to surgeon to getting the Op, including funding etc...

Is it that if the surgeon thinks im suitable, i then have to apply to the PCT for funding, how long does this take and do many people get turned down? What are the reasons for being turned down?

Thank u xxx

Hi the main reason people get turned down is if they dont meet the criteria. I dont know of any other reason providing they are fit enough for surgery. Everyones process seems to be slightly different some start the process having funding in place. I think its strange to think if you have not seen the consultant or surgeon how can funding be agreed and surely it would be better to see them find out if your suitable and then your GP apply for the funding. like I say its all different. Is there anyone on here that has had the surgery and under the same PCT as you as that would be the best way forward. Some get through the system in a short time, others take much longer I think it depends how much you push, nag and refuse to give up....hope this helps..xx

for me the prosess was saw gp in oct last year funding was approved first then i was seen by surgeon in march i had preop in august then was banded in sept so all in all took nearly a year but i think every area is different i wasnt alloed to see bariatric team untill i was funded

Hi Serenity how come it took so long? Was it your initial appointment or did it all take so long? Its so annoying knowing you have funding and then having to wait xx

hiya from my first appointment at the hospital it only took 6 months for my appointment for the operation to come through but sadly needed to be cancelled because i fell on pregnant but after that i went straight to waiting list and only took about a month,had my op done on 15th of october so only 3weeks ago and lost 2 stone already so is worth the wait corinna xxx

I saw my GP in April, funding was granted by beginning of June.

Saw surgeon on 4th August who set a date for October 14th.

Then appointments for pyschologist was on 19th September, dietrician on 22nd September, full pre-op assesment on 24th September and finally endocrinologist on 29th September.

Then the op went ahead on scheduled date.

thanks all. I fit the criteria, so hope i dont have any problems, and hope it doesnt take forever!
This site is so informative, and supportive. :eek:)

Hi Serenity how come it took so long? Was it your initial appointment or did it all take so long? Its so annoying knowing you have funding and then having to wait xx

i was vy lucky to live in the town the very lovely mr shaw sumers is consultant but he is super busy the clinics are always full it is always a 5mnth wait from consultation to op but due to staff hols had to wait a little longer but as i consider where i went one of the best in country it was worth that wait

I agree I would have waited for the lovely Mr Somers.....(bet watch out ols does not read this she will get me....lol...)...xx

For me, i saw the GP end of january this year, she sent off the referal and in April i saw the dietetic consultant, then had bloods taken at gp's office which were sent to the dietician, who i saw in august, she then presented my case to the board and gained funding, then saw surgeon on september 1st, pre op assessment the following week, and then surgery on 22nd october.

It should've been at least 10 weeks shorter than all that, but i can't complain as it took 10 months.

Every PCT is different, hugely so! For me, Saw the GP in October 2006, had to be referred to Lifestyle & Weight Management, Saw L&WM November 2006 for 3 months, was passed to Bariatric Co-ordinator February 2007(still under L&WM) until she applied to PCT for funding in November 2007, funding approved January 2008, saw Surgeon April 2008, had surgery July 2008.

So a loooooooooooooong process lol.

Shel what happened once you were referred to the surgeon, I cant find any info on the regency and how it works so any advice greatly received...xx

I was sent an appointment letter, and saw the surgeon, dietician and bariatric nurse all at the same time. The hospital site is at Spire-Regency-Hospital | Spire Healthcare it's all changed since the merged with Spire lol.

At the appointment we discussed my diet to date, filled in questionnaires, and had a big chat with the surgeon. We came to the conclusion that bypass was best and he said it would be around 3 months time. He said I would see the bariatric nurse and dietician again 4 weeks pre op, but that turned out to be 2 weeks pre op. I then waited for my date, which I eventually got about 6 weeks after the appointment. I thought I would have got it sooner, so rang the lady who books them quite regularly lol.

I was under Mr Brough, but there are other surgeons there too.

Back