• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How much did you lose in the first three months?

Banderbird

Hello,

I'm just curious to know what kind of weight losses banders have had in the first three months (not including pre-op weight loss).

I realise it's different for everyone, but I'm hoping to lose 2 stone if I can, and I'm wondering if that's realistic or not.

I'm in it for the long haul, obviously, but I'd like to get off to a good start :D

it was a long time ago for me and I cant remember but id really discourage from setting a amount for first few months because you may be disappointed obviously I hope your not but until you have restriction it just about self control. good luck xx topkat prob best to answer this one

I was banded almost 6 weeks ago and I've lost just over a stone post-op. I would echo what moomoo has said about setting goals - until you've settled to life with the band, had a couple of fills and established how weight moves for you, setting a target might prove counter-productive. That's not to say we don't all do it (I've set myself a target of being under 20st by Christmas!), but only you can know how discouraged you'll be if the target proves unrealistic.

Well, I wouldn't be devastated if I didn't, but it would be nice to see some results by then.

I certainly won't have expectations that are too unrealistic.

I lost 3st 1lb in the first three months AFTER the op ... But I had more to lose than you ... Two stones is achievable, but best not to compare to others as all our bodies are different, and we all work differently with our tools. Best of luck though bander bird .... Its great to set goals along the way :)

comparing is one of the worst things you can do because we all vary so much, but average loss wth a band is 1-2lb per week, so in your first three mnths an average/expected loss would be about 24lb so 1 3/4 stone. So in that way, I don't think it's wholly unrealistic to lose 2 stone but it needs not only watching with food but throwing in the exercise too.

I lost 50lbs in my first 3 months post op, in addition to the 17lb pre op. but that was with incredibly strict eating and large amounts of exercise too, but I also started off weighing over 100lb more than you an all of those individual factors play a part.

Work to the 1-2lb mark and you're on track, but some providers advise not to expect a decent loss while trying to find restriction. Personally I don't wholly agree with that which is just as well as I'm still trying to find restriction lol

do

Thanks all, I will certainly be exercising too.

A steady weightloss, even if it's just a pound a week will be marvellous because this time it's staying off!

and that is a great attitude to be going forward with :)

Set yourself mini but realistic goals as it helps with a positive mindset even when things are difficult :)

Before I got my band I didn't set any goal or target as I needed time to heal and for my body adjust to some changes. However when I got that, I started setting myself little target and goal depending on what I have ahead or how I feel. So I do not think its a bad idea to set urself a little target maybe monthly is quite realistic. As its been said everybody is different and our bodies react to surgery differently so when setting targets it's always good to be realistic and see how it goes. I was 3months post op last week and I have lost 3.5stone today that includes my preop. All the best.

I didn't lose anything on the pre op but by three months I had lost over 3 stone.

Good luck with your target, it's definitely do -able! x

Everyone did really well! Well now we shall see!

At the moment I am just concentrating on healing as best I can.

Top Kat stated this in a previous thread above.....
I don't think it's wholly unrealistic to lose 2 stone but it needs not only watching with food but throwing in the exercise too

What if your disabled and cannot do much exercise..Will I still be able to loose weight regularly and how important is the exercise part of banding,
Thank you for any help :)

minn, your weight loss maybe slower. What can you do activity wise? Are you able to walk - if so steps aiming to 10000 per day is great exercise, swimming too (after wounds have healed)

Otherwise it's doing what you can, but knowing it may be slower.

If you follow your food guidelines then you will lose, but it's so important yo follow them, stick to them and work with the band :)

minn, your weight loss maybe slower. What can you do activity wise? Are you able to walk - if so steps aiming to 10000 per day is great exercise, swimming too (after wounds have healed)

Otherwise it's doing what you can, but knowing it may be slower.

If you follow your food guidelines then you will lose, but it's so important yo follow them, stick to them and work with the band :)

Sorry for delay in response TK
I just remember this thread
Ok well I have 2 hip replacements and spinal surgery but I am mobile with a stick;)

I do push my self to walk although its uncomfortable I do persevere, also crazy as it sounds I was a Really good Netball player at one time and rode a cycle regularly..and I can still cycle without much pain sadly ay my age the netball is out of the window..:D
But I will increase my exercise as soon as I have healed

PS
hate swimming with a passion, lol

Back